Canes interview Sabres AGM Greeley as part of their GM search

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Maybe winning the top forward in the draft prize will open up better candidates for them. Picking Svechnikov and picking 11 are a lot different.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I wonder if it was a combination of a very hands-on owner and a low-ball offer that had them not come to an agreement? Both have been factors in the interview process from various reports.
Kevyn Adams is the guy they should be targeting. He's won a cup with the Canes. His goal is to be a GM. He can be a GM-lite with the Canes while learning the ropes.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If I were them, I'd be more upset that the guy who engineered the cesspit that was the 2000's Thrashers is sitting as "interim" GM.

I guess the hope would be that while he failed in building Atlanta, perhaps he’s redeemable in tweaking Carolina. Not to say the Canes are on the path to being a cup contender here, but many of the pieces are in place to be a playoff team.

Even those not cynical about this would have to admit he’s not handling this well. I was very surprised that he came out publicly and tried to provide a legitimate justification for the nickel and dime routine.

Interview --> Tom Dundon, Carolina Hurricanes Owner

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I guess the hope would be that while he failed in building Atlanta, perhaps he’s redeemable in tweaking Carolina. Not to say the Canes are on the path to being a cup contender here, but many of the pieces are in place to be a playoff team.

Even those not cynical about this would have to admit he’s not handling this well. I was very surprised that he came out publicly and tried to provide a legitimate justification for the nickel and dime routine.

He's a cheap version of Terry Pegula. He doesn't know what he's doing but likes to think he does. At least he won't waste a bundle of money finding that out.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I still think the Canes are a good goaltender away from the playoffs. That defense and the uptempo forwards, with adding Svechnikov... seriously on the brink there.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I still think the Canes are a good goaltender away from the playoffs. That defense and the uptempo forwards, with adding Svechnikov... seriously on the brink there.

What if John Tavares went to Carolina? That forward group would be solid with him at the front and they could become Nashville East. The goalie, well one of the bums they have will figure it out...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
What if John Tavares went to Carolina? That forward group would be solid with him at the front and they could become Nashville East. The goalie, well one of the bums they have will figure it out...
They would be scary if they got Tavares and a goalie like Grubauer

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Carolina is falling apart and I always thought they did good at drafting. I also admired Ron Francis patience building the team the right way. They really are only a 1C and G away.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Carolina's new owner must have been a butcher in his past line of work. He's severing the heads of many that drafted that team into position. Francis didn't get amazing results, but he created a hell of a basis to build off of. I would be happy to bring on Francis in a supporting role, if he were open to that.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Carolina got their very own Pegula, now they pay the price for it just like us...

Reactions: Fearnot

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I think he's an upgrade over Pegula. He's already cleaned house. Pegula let the problems fester for years.

Depends what he replaces them with I suppose. Francis seemed to be doing ok, though who knows what happens when given an actual budget.

If Geoff Sanderson shows up and gets to pick the GM/Coach it's probably trouble. (Amusingly it took a couple minutes to think up a semi-famous former Whaler who isn't actually part of a NHL front office/coaching currently, so maybe they'll be fine :laugh:. I felt bad going with Zarley Zalapski, so I had to do some actual looking.)

To be serious for a moment it will be interesting if Dundon's semi-Mark Cuban hands-on/do things my way style goes anywhere or rams into the NHL old boys brick wall.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Fire up the fax machines, Waddell is back in business.

Waddell reminds me of Philip Baker Hall.
Don_Waddell_1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad