Pre-Game Talk: Canes @ Habs 7:30 PM 2/18.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Mike said Nodl to the 2nd in place of Jeff.

Mike Smith on CH.com:

Andreas Nodl skated in Skinner’s place on the second line in Saturday’s practice, but Muller said that’s not how the combinations will shake out on Monday. Already carrying an extra forward, the team has a few options, a recall from Charlotte still being one of them.

Now whether "that's not how they're going to shake out" applies to Nodl specifically, the 3rd & 4th, or all of the above remains to be seen.

I would expect Nodl or Bowman on the 2nd, and then some sort of consolation prize for Tim Brent for having to center the wreck of a 4th line.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Well, I have just under 8 hours to get the GDT up. Hopefully I know what lines to use at some point, or I may have to improvise :laugh:

So if LaRose//Brent//Westgarth is the 4th, and the 1st and 3rd are the same from Toronto, I just need to know who will be the 2nd line LW.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Well, I have just under 8 hours to get the GDT up. Hopefully I know what lines to use at some point, or I may have to improvise :laugh:

So if LaRose//Brent//Westgarth is the 4th, and the 1st and 3rd are the same from Toronto, I just need to know who will be the 2nd line LW.

I don't feel one bit sorry for you after having to do the Toronto GDT with those damn candy hearts and the Michal Jordan call-up. :laugh:

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Listening to the Checkers game and I could swear they just said the Canes called up Nash

Edit: Well he's a healthy scratch for that reason anyway

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
If the Nash call up is coming the lines are probably something like this:

Tlusty-Staal12-Semin
Jokinen-Staal11-Dwyer
Bowman-Brent-Wallace
Westgarth-Nash-LaRose

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Gallagher is also out for Montreal with a concussion. It's getting messy.

Also, the Canes don't play again until Thursday at home. So by missing the one-day trip to Montreal, our three hurt guys (Pitkanen, Gleason, Skinner) can get a full week off between the Toronto and Winnipeg home games and only miss one game. Plus, it's not a division game and Thursday's is, so I can definitely see erring on the side of caution.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
It did look like a neck issue for Skinner but I suppose a whiplash could aggravate a concussion situation. Some of you thought that a previous post by a guy was ridiculous regarding Skinner, and regarding his play, I agree. That said, entertain the idea of a Jeff Skinner trade and what the Canes could get in return to fill some of the weak spots. When you think about it, there are possibilities. Very good trade bait but would it be worth it in the long run? Anyway, I'm worried about the game and hope that Price being on the bench helps. Semin is due to snipe a couple.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
It did look like a neck issue for Skinner but I suppose a whiplash could aggravate a concussion situation. Some of you thought that a previous post by a guy was ridiculous regarding Skinner, and regarding his play, I agree. That said, entertain the idea of a Jeff Skinner trade and what the Canes could get in return to fill some of the weak spots. When you think about it, there are possibilities. Very good trade bait but would it be worth it in the long run? Anyway, I'm worried about the game and hope that Price being on the bench helps. Semin is due to snipe a couple.

Skinner has great talent but I don't think we would get a max return for his talent due to his size. Injury concerns are really the only reason why we'd even consider a trade.

Plus, even if we did trade him, who are we getting back that would help us win right now?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Skinner has great talent but I don't think we would get a max return for his talent due to his size. Injury concerns are really the only reason why we'd even consider a trade.

Plus, even if we did trade him, who are we getting back that would help us win right now?

Hypothetically speaking, it would have to be an impact defenseman. That's our greatest need. However, you'd be creating a hole in the team's biggest strength, that being two really solid scoring lines.

Of course, Skinner's not going anywhere. The fanbase would **** a brick if that happened.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the explanation, though I had to read your post twice because I fell asleep half way through.

Trying to get in the spirit of crapping on you...

Official Disclaimer: The above comment is intended as a joke and in no way reflects disrespect of an opposing fan base or team, even though writing this disclaimer in itself suggests that Carolina's fans are too sensitive, which of course they aren't, though I'm still writing it instead of helping my wife with the laundry, thereby pihssing off my wife and the entire state of North Carolina and ruining my chances for sex. From my wife, I mean. Though in fairness I haven't checked out the women in North Carolina.

I like this guy.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Gut feeling on Skinner says mild concussion. The look of terror and confusion on his face when he hit the ice was pretty telling. He got trucked twice and they were both his fault. Now, I am not advocating trading him (lol) or anything insane like that, but it is about time somebody informed him that playing as reckless as he is playing is going to shorten his career considerably. Usually when a guy takes two destructive body checks and comes to practice "not feeling well", they've had a concussion. Factor in past history and speculation starts to look more and more like probability.

Another factor is that when you know your fans are sensitive to Skinner's concussion issue, you'll dispel that if you can before it starts to gnaw at the fanbase. Usually a coach will say something along the lines of "he's sick", or "he's got a bit of a stiff neck", if it's something minor. The fact that they're not even going to give him the option to make the trip says a lot. If it were a stiff neck, maybe you take him on the trip and hope he recovers with a good night's sleep.

I don't think it falls under paranoid speculation to recommend that he has in fact suffered another concussion. Attempting to gauge the severity of said hypothetical concussion would be foolish. The good sign being that it likely wasn't something that was bothersome to him immediately.

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Me three. My question is, I heard that the Canadiens are giving away tickets for free because they can't possibly justify selling tickets to see such a garbage franchise as the Carolina Hurricanes. Is this the case?

Good possibility. We'll be lucky if they let the team through the doors of the Bell Center. Hopefully security will have mercy on the lowly Canes and let them take the ice vs the revered Canadiens out of pity.

Gut feeling on Skinner says mild concussion.

Good points but I'd just like to note that no one who has had whiplash-like neck symptoms and flown on an airplane would do it twice. Not a good idea.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
Not much detail here, but . . .

The Hurricanes also have a significant hole in their lineup. Head coach Kirk Muller announced Sunday that forward Jeff Skinner would not accompany the team to Montreal because of an “upper-body injury.†Skinner, who went head-first into the boards after contact with Toronto’s Mark Fraser on Thursday night, missed 16 games last season with a concussion, but Muller said there is no evidence that Skinner’s latest problems are concussion-related.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not trying to be a pessimist, but before leaving for MTL, here's what Muller said to Chip.

He said he did not know if Skinner, who missed 16 games last season because of a concussion, had any concussion-related issues.
"We'll evaluate him when we get back Tuesday," Muller said.

Again, we are all stuck with trying to read between the lines due to lack of information, but not sure how "not sure and we'll evaluate on Tuesday" becomes "no evidence" by just arriving in MTL.

Whatever it is, I hope it's something mild and not a long term thing.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Marc Staal.

And just to throw out another theory, the flu is going around the league at the moment. The vast majority of the Senators had it when they came to the PNC in that 1-0 win, and yesterday, Rick Nash was questionable to play because of the flu.

Flu symptoms and concussion-like symptoms are very similar.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I do find it amusing that Vagrant says something akin to "if it's not a concussion, they should intimate that to the fans", wolfofthesteppes links to a Muller quote that does just that, then Boom Boom pulls up a quote that is older and laments that we're stuck with reading between the lines because there's no way that the team could know more about Skinner's condition in the time that has passed from the first quote(s) to the most recent.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I like this guy.

Me three. My question is, I heard that the Canadiens are giving away tickets for free because they can't possibly justify selling tickets to see such a garbage franchise as the Carolina Hurricanes. Is this the case?

Thanks for the good vibes, guys. That and your Star Trek GDT has made you my favourite fan base in the league. I mean, sarcasm, self-deprecating humour (note the Canadian "u") and sci-fi geekdom -- feels like home, only warmer and with greasier food.

As to the free ticket thingy, this is the first I'm hearing of it. Of course, it's also the first I'm hearing of a game tonight. Good luck tonight and Go Panthers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->