Confirmed with Link: Canes get Niederreiter for Rask!?!?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't recall seeing it mentioned much, but I think it's also fun to remember that Fenton was one of the guys we pursued and he pulled himself out of consideration, probably contributing to much of the angst over our GM search. And the guy nobody wanted fleeced him.

Maybe Dundon has him working for us as a secret agent. That’s the only explanation.

But really I think Fenton wanted to make a hockey trade. I’m sure teams would have been willing to give up a mid pick or prospect for Nino but how many teams can take on 5+ million of salary without sending anything back. So then it became a change of scenery trade and I guess it is possible that Rask was the best fit for what they wanted to upgrade on the team. The thought process probably became ‘how can we save money and get something useful’?

Maybe Rask will bounce back next year but I think they were determined to move Nino and save money. The rest of the return was secondary

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I don’t know if it’s true but I heard they were trying to get out of a contract but couldn’t so to fulfill their legal obligations they put out a ton of music really fast and walked.

I like Weezer quite a bit. Pushing 50 but still sounding like themselves and in tune with the musical trends of today.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I don’t like how he’s starting to get assists now. Seems lazy like he doesn’t want to score it himself.

‘Oh here take the puck and you put it in...’

Not the attitude we want. I can see why Fenton dumped him like a bad stock

Never more obvious when he passed up a wide-open chance to try to set up Williams in the third period last night. The Nino I used to know (two nights ago) would have shot that.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
The most interesting part about Nino is that he was drafted with 5th overall pick. He was hyped prospect, almost blue chip one. I believe he could be 60 pts first line force. Still young. Maybe late bloomer. Don't know but he's really talented though he was 40 pts player in last few seasons. Nino, Aho, TT and Svech gonna be hell of a group in our top six. Just find second line center (Necas, please).

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He was one of the guys I would have been happy with his draft season if he'd gotten to our spot. Kind of fun when it works out that you eventually end up with a guy like this. Even at his worst, he seems to be pretty much a solid .5 PPG player at worst, and a 20ish goal scorer at worst. Right now he looks like he could be a very high end glue guy. Maybe what we hoped Tlusty was turning into before he flamed out.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Tripp made a comment last night that echoes how I have been feeling about this trade: Nino has come in and, not just in production, but also in attitude and buying into Rod's message and the team direction, hasn't missed a beat. He has been the perfect addition in all aspects. Rask had zero production (well documented) but also just seemed well out of place in the type of game this team was being pushed to play by Rod.

Point being, once again, this trade couldnt have been more perfect for this team, regardless of Rask's production (or lack there of) in Minny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->