OT: Canes Fans in the DMV Area (DC, MD, VA): "As Jerks Walk Through the Valley of the Shadow of D.C."

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
giphy.gif

Hello!

As referenced in a game thread, I was interested in connecting Canes fans in the DMV area for 1) the sake of connecting with other local fans 2) possible Watch Parties and/or group outings to troll Captial 1 Arena during Canes games 3). Honestly, there is no 3, but when I started doing this list thing, I felt there should be at least three things.

I have nothing formal in mind at all, but thought I'd just go ahead and start a thread for any other DMV fans who might be interested in connecting in some way.

Is This Thread For You?:
  • Do you live in or frequent the DMV area?
  • Do you live?
  • Do you frequent?
  • Are you bored and have run out of every other thread to read, so you figured, ehhh, okay, i'll skim through this.
Congratulations on being a part of this elite group of people!

In all seriousness, I'd love to connect with other DMV fans since every friend and family member I know is apathetic toward hockey and/or hates the canes :)

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
How many of you will be at the game Saturday? I will be with my Caps fan wife. I'll also be at the Canes opener on Thursday.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
How many of you will be at the game Saturday? I will be with my Caps fan wife. I'll also be at the Canes opener on Thursday.

Can't go this weekend--confirmed now! which would be a bummer, but i was gifted tix to see my Yankees in the playoffs so I can't complain too much :) lol.

Here is the schedule for games @Capital1 this season (although I would not be opposed to meeting up for a Carolina game as well at some point):

• JAN 13TH @ Capital1

And PNC Home games against Caps: (if anyone's interested in that)

• DECEMBER 28TH @PNC
  • JANUARY 3RD @ PNC

Because this is a bit short notice, perhaps we could try to plan to meet up for the JAN 13TH Game in D.C.

I'm also open for potential watch parties (perhaps for the Caps @ PNC games?), etc. moving on from that. Let me know what you all think. All the Best!

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-30_22-59-36.png
    upload_2019-9-30_22-59-36.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2019-9-30_23-4-6.png
    upload_2019-9-30_23-4-6.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2019-9-30_23-5-21.png
    upload_2019-9-30_23-5-21.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 2

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't know that I approve of this referring to the D.C. area as the "DMV". Did you just make that up? I lived there for 8 years and the only acronym used was NOVA for northern VA. Plus "DMV" already means something else.

But I like your idea. I'd be down for a weeknight game up there occasionally.

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I don't know that I approve of this referring to the D.C. area as the "DMV". Did you just make that up? I lived there for 8 years and the only acronym used was NOVA for northern VA. Plus "DMV" already means something else.

I like DMV—I mean what good is this thread if we can't invent our own acronyms. The Canes top line might be TSA (again) or SAT—both those mean something else, but not anything nearly as cool.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I don't think DMV has been a thing for a crazy long time, but seems like I've heard it referred to as that in this area for a while now.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I went to Virginia Tech

Can confirm that DMV is something that is used often. Not nearly as often as NoVa but when people want to include Maryland, DMV is what is used. I've heard it used for nearly 20 years now.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
LOL! @ this DMV debate!

Full confession: I am one of those annoying transplants that is ruining the DC metropolitan area (although I have family who have lived here for over a decade). I have no idea how "new" the phrase is, but on D.C. radio stations and amongst most people I've met in D.C. the DMV is a very common phrase. (That being said, when I lived in Hampton Roads VA as a child, I had never heard that phrase).

When I first moved here, I was like: "why is everyone talking about the Department of Motor Vehicles" all the time lol!

Perhaps we can agree on a more palatable group name in the future ;)

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
giphy.gif

HOWDY! Just checking again about a possible meetup and/or watch party for the JANUARY 13TH game @Capital1!

As much I enjoy procrastinating (it's one of my top 3 fave hobbies--when I can get around to it!), the earlier we plan something like this, the better.

Who's interested in getting a group of local Canes fan together for this game?

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-10_20-50-58.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-10_20-50-58.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 2

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
giphy.gif

HOWDY! Just checking again about a possible meetup and/or watch party for the JANUARY 13TH game @Capital1!

As much I enjoy procrastinating (it's one of my top 3 fave hobbies--when I can get around to it!), the earlier we plan something like this, the better.

Who's interested in getting a group of local Canes fan together for this game?

Since its a Monday, pretty sure I can find an excuse to get up there for work

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
DMV is definitely a recent, transplant thing.

Honestly dont think ive ever heard a DC local use the word.

Basically pushed on everyone by the media. The first time I heard it used was about 2010.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Akchualllly....does DMV come from the fact that living in the greater DC metro area is like a constant trip to the actual....well, you know....DMV?

Inquiring minds and all....

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad