Post-Game Talk: canes @ caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
how can Sammy be ready for a starting role if he never gets more than 2 games in a row.
They will get another goalie capable of playing 50/50 with Sammy in the summer. He wont be able to withstand 60 games next season too. Kind of expected. He needs to keep winning with 40 games first, then try 50 games, then maybe he will wake up as starter (if he is still winning).

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
They will get another goalie capable of playing 50/50 with Sammy in the summer. He wont be able to withstand 60 games next season too. Kind of expected. He needs to keep winning with 40 games first, then try 50 games, then maybe he will wake up as starter (if he is still winning).

Why? If he's good enough give him the starting role, no need to waste years of his career dicking him around.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
My other favorite part of the game is when Carolina shot at the goal and SamSOnov blocked all of them. That was cool, too.
giphy.gif

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Encouraging game that shows this team can play the right way when motivated. It is hard to get up for 82 games. The PP though still needs fixing. I really want to see Carlson be more selfish and tee it up from the top of the point.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Just so you know goalies now practice year-round it’s not like the old days they are used to playing every other day of the year

It’s a myth to need to share time 50/50 to be ready for the NHL

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
how can Sammy be ready for a starting role if he never gets more than 2 games in a row.

An overall 50/50 split doesn't mean that you can't give each guy a few games in a row here and there.

Anyway, there's no "perfect" solution for this year, IMO. You can give Samsonov all the starts, but in that case the playoffs will still be quite a new experience for him, and he might tire out from the full starter reg. season load, and you'll potentially have Holtby completely out of rhythm as a backup.

And long term, I think young goalies generally only benefit from gradual increase in workload. And Samsonov is a young big athletic guy -- I'd want the Caps to be extra careful about preventing injuries with him.

Reactions: 43sfriends

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Just so you know goalies now practice year-round it’s not like the old days they are used to playing every other day of the year

It’s a myth to need to share time 50/50 to be ready for the NHL

I dunno, the playoff stats for goalies that play 65+ games isn't great. A more even average like 50/32 is a much healthier setup going into the playoffs. ITs not lost on me at all that Holts best playoffs was the one where he was completely rested going in.

Its not the physical demand of playing all those games, its the mental part, being up for that many games, the concentration and focus, its hard to maintain that so long. Physically its not an issue, its upstairs.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Longest "streak" the Caps have gone without getting a point, two games (they've done it twice).

Bruins four games, Blues three games, Avalanche three games, Pens three games.

Only one team is better than the Caps in this regard and it's the Cup favorite Lightning (they have only gone two games in a row this season without getting a point ONE time).

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I was wondering who Sammie looked like and he looks like the fake Russian FPSRussia that used to be on youtube.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
5v5 we were the much better team IMO. Sammy made the couple big saves he needed to. The pp is still a hot mess, but the effort overall was better. Sammy needs more games, and I’m starting to believe he could be the starter next year without issue.

On the pp I’m 50/50 on what to do. We have gone in pp slumps before and have talent. Part of me wants to call it a slump and ride it out. The other half knows if you change it up it takes time to get down, so we need to do it now.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Did Jensen play the 3rd and not freak out? His play was dramatically better the first two periods. Great to see against the Cane’s forecheck.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Watching Sammy live, it’s evident that his reflexes are 10 years younger than Holtby’s. 70 has always played his best when he’s processing the game a bit faster than anyone else on the ice, but he squanders that advantage with these mid-year mental check-outs. He needs that mental advantage more than ever now, because physically he ain’t what he was

Reactions: kmart

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
What happens when the Caps play like they give a shart?
Good win and peace is returned to the valley (for a little while at least -- or until Holtby gets announced for the next start)

Finally a shutout, after a few big chances for CAR in the 1st, team played some good 5-man defense rest of the way, good job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->