GDT: Canes at Sens

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As long as they would agree to reasonable deals, I'm fine with bringing back Mrazek and McElhinney next season (with the understanding that Ned can work his way into the rotation as well). This is the best goaltending we've had in years (not saying much, I know). Why roll the dice with something different and likely screw it up? I'm apprehensive when it comes to our track record of bringing in new goalies.

Why roll the dice? Because if the team can be even better, then you try to make it better. The Canes have been pretty much 29th or 30th in the league in SV% the prior seasons, and are only up to 24th this season.

Mrazek has been so-so this year and CMac has been fantastic (both eye test and stats). If we can upgrade Mrazek and still keep CMAC, I'm all for it. Agree with Hank and Stingray that I wouldn't get into a bidding war on it though.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As far as other goalie options go, I wouldn't be shocked if Lehner goes to UFA on July 1st. His performance this year is going to cost someone and the Islanders are already paying Greiss (who's also been excellent) $3.33M per year. He might be available if Luo doesn't want to pay a goalie tandem more than $10M per year.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
It'd be a mistake to let McBackup walk this summer. He's been huge for us. Let him take as many starts as he can handle (30-35?). I'd like to see Ned get tested next year, give him (8-10 starts maybe more if he owns it). I'm fine with, but not thrilled, to bring Mrazek back to take the remaining starts. But you've gotta get Ned some starts next year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Knowing the Canes track record being able to find replacement level goaltending this year is the exception not the rule. I'd rather not go back to the well to look for both goalies

No doubt. I'd do what I could to keep McIllhenny and go after someone better than Mrazek.

If Mrazek had "WARD" on the back of his jersey, people would be calling for his head right now.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I thought Dzingel was solid for Ottawa last night.....what could we give up for him? On the trade board they are saying he won't bring back a 1st in this market. 2nd and a 3rd. or 2nd and a prospect.

What does Fleury bring back these days? I see him getting squeezed out of the mix bc of the depth.

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Chip Alexander: 'Canes comeback to win 4-1 vs. Sens
Does Teuvo Teravainen need to shoot more? Yes, Teuvo Teravainen needs to shoot more.
That release is nasty.
Going home suits Calvin de Haan well. The man from Carp, Ont., played one of his best games of the season. He’s one smooth defenseman and he was active Tuesday in all three zones. De Haan drawing a tripping penalty against the Sens’ Thomas Chabot in the third was the turning point in the game.
The trade debate needs to end with Micheal Ferland. The Canes need to keep him, let him play out the season, then do their best to re-sign him before July 1. If the two sides are wide apart on salary, which they may be, they’ll have time to close the gap. Ferland is such a good fit.
In his at-the-bench interview before the game, Canes TV analyst Tripp Tracy reminded Justin Williams that he scored the winning goal on a power play at Ottawa in January, telling Williams to go do it again. Williams, who seemed amused, smiled and said “Yes, sir” and then did it again with his power-play goal for a 2-1 lead. Call it the power of suggestion
Read more here: It wasn’t as epic as Duke’s comeback, but the Canes also rallied to a win

Reactions: SvechNecas

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
If the Canes are elevating Ned to the NHL next year, I sure hope the have someone more durable than McIlhenney as the other goalie. CMac has been fantastic and I agree with Wally about how good he's been, but banking on him or Ned being a full time goalie is a pretty big risk IMO.

Anyone think Talbot is salvageable and worth taking a shot at? He hasn't been good in EDM this year, but EDM has been brutal defensively and a mess overall. Neither goalie is doing very well there and Talbot put up some good numbers for 4 years. Might be worth taking a shot at. Seems like most goalies that leave EDM find success elsewhere.

Absolutely on Talbot. It's just a matter of whether his spirit has been broken by playing in Edmonton. I don't even think it's a reclamation project. I think he's just a good goalie on a nightmarishly bad team.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If he's willing to stay here, I'd certainly re-sign McElhinney. I wouldn't go into the season with Ned projected as part of the tandem. If he takes the job in camp, McElhinney would be easy enough to deal.

I think Mrazek has been slightly better than his numbers, and I do think he's been an upgrade over the Ward of recent years, but I would definitely look to upgrade him if possible. I do like the idea of Talbot, and I don't think he'd be any worse than Mrazek here, but he could end up better. I would likely stay away from Lehner as he will probably look to get (over)paid. If you could somehow get him cheap, go for it, but in that case, I don't see why he wouldn't stick with the Isles. I'm not opposed to bringing back Mrazek, but it'd have to be at a pretty cheap contract. Collin Delia, Alex Stalock, and Casey DeSmith are all goalies that have similar-ish or better numbers currently or in the recent past that signed super cheap (expansion draft related) deals for 3 years. The only goalie of that ilk that got paid recently was Koskinen, and that was a huge mistake. If Mrazek wants that, he can play hide and go **** himself.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Maybe Talbot could have a resurgence like Dubnyk after he got out of Edmonton? Don’t know if I’d be super comfortable going into next year with Talbot/Mac but I imagine Talbot couldn’t be that much worse Mrazek.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Really great conversation about the goalie situation here, and I think everyone is basically on the same page, including the hive mind.
  • Mac's been great, we love him and want him back, but he's best suited as a 25-30 start guy
  • Ned's great, we love him and want him to get a shot, but he's best suited as a 25-30 start guy
  • Mrazek's been OK, and he's the most durable, but we can't have three goalies and he's really been no better than replacement level
As with other offseasons, I have no clue what the Canes are going to do about the goaltending, but keeping the same three guys doesn't seem to fit. It's yet another puzzle with pieces that don't go together.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I think it also comes down to how well liked they are in the locker room and how hard people want to play for em. Seems like when Darling starts, even the few times he played decent, the team quits on him.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Maybe Talbot could have a resurgence like Dubnyk after he got out of Edmonton? Don’t know if I’d be super comfortable going into next year with Talbot/Mac but I imagine Talbot couldn’t be that much worse Mrazek.

Talbot/Mac/Ned seems like a good way to go to me. Talbot probably won't cost an arm & a leg, and Mac can take up to 50% if Talbot is having some trouble post-EDM. Give Ned some starts, especially if Mac does get hurt, and I think we get a better look at what Ned could become.

Then if Talbot works out you can transition to Talbot/Ned.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Gm57: 3rd period power play surge converts road trip-ending win in Ottawa

by Matt Karash | Feb 12, 2019 | The Drive Home

Micheal Ferland
He was the game’s first star in my book. He made the backdoor finish look easy on Hamilton’s pass to get the Hurricanes into the game at 1-1. Hamilton deserves a ton of credit for somehow getting the puck through a maze of bodies to Ferland on the back door, but Ferland’s ability to track the puck through the maze of bodies and receive and finish in one motion should not be underestimated. Then he assisted on Williams’ goal to stake the Canes to a 2-1 lead and very quickly keep the power play from being an energy drag. Finally, he picked up another first assist on a pretty bang-bang play that Teravainen finished to build a cushion. On a night when results trumped all else and there were no moral victories to be had, Ferland had a huge game on the score sheet.
Calvin de Haan
He had a strong game defensively in his return home. He was Slavin-like with his ability to interrupt passes and get a piece of seemingly every puck that tried to go through him.
Curtis McElhinney
He had yet another strong game. When Ottawa scored first, many minutes were played with the Hurricanes in a precarious position down a goal. But McElhinney would not be beaten again
Gm57 @Ott: 3rd period power play surge converts sluggish game to road trip-ending win in Ottawa | Canes & Coffee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad