GDT: Canes at Sens

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Canes score three unanswered goals in the third period
The Hurricanes saved their best period of the game for the third, and the final 20 minutes was the difference in the game.
For the first time this season, the Canes won a game when trailing heading into the third period (1-17-3), which helped the team finish 4-1-0 on the trip and match its most successful five-game road swing in franchise history (Feb. 28-March 8, 1998).
"We got better," Teravainen said. "We've had some good last periods. We're trying to keep those good habits and keep believing in our game. We don't have to do anything special."
"The third period was our season," Ferland said. "We were the hungrier team."
"We weren't happy with our first two periods. We wanted to come out with a big push at the beginning of the period," Ferland said. "I thought as a team we had good jump in the third period. That's what we needed."
"Coming out in the third period and getting one right away settled everybody down. After that, I thought we played a pretty good game," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "The first shift really set the tone for the third period."
"Moving the puck. Shooting the puck," Teravainen said of what the power play did well. "Willy had a great shot. We made a nice, low play there, and I got a goal. Good plays."
"Every game, the power play has a chance to be a difference," Brind'Amour said. "It came up big tonight."
Recap: Big Third Period Lifts Canes Over Senators

Reactions: SvechNecas

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Curtis McIlhenney is really good. He's head and shoulders above Mrazek, who I think hasn't been bad. But Cmc just doesn't get beat by shots in a way that we haven't seen in a long time. Crazy to think he's just been chilling on the bench for 65 games a season for most of his career.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Curtis McIlhenney is really good. He's head and shoulders above Mrazek, who I think hasn't been bad. But Cmc just doesn't get beat by shots in a way that we haven't seen in a long time. Crazy to think he's just been chilling on the bench for 65 games a season for most of his career.
Will be interesting to see how things shake out next year in net. I think CMC will be back, but other than that who knows.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Will be interesting to see how things shake out next year in net. I think CMC will be back, but other than that who knows.

I’d like McBackup back but depending on who’s available I’d try someone else out in place of Mr. Azek. While he hasn’t been bad he hasn’t brought a level of play that isn’t replaceable.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If the Canes are elevating Ned to the NHL next year, I sure hope the have someone more durable than McIlhenney as the other goalie. CMac has been fantastic and I agree with Wally about how good he's been, but banking on him or Ned being a full time goalie is a pretty big risk IMO.

Anyone think Talbot is salvageable and worth taking a shot at? He hasn't been good in EDM this year, but EDM has been brutal defensively and a mess overall. Neither goalie is doing very well there and Talbot put up some good numbers for 4 years. Might be worth taking a shot at. Seems like most goalies that leave EDM find success elsewhere.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
McElhinney has never made more than $850k per season.

He can and should look to cash in this offseason - I can picture a team paying up to $3m AAV for him on the open market.

Agreed that Mac+Ned is far too risky for next year. We will want someone else with Mac to share the load like this year. Depending on Mrazek's number I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the same tandem. Keep in mind every goalie has missed time this year - Ned coming into the year as #3 doesn't mean he's necessarily banished. He had a good 1st NHL start, maybe shoot to give him 5-8 next year and see how it goes. Of course if the tandem in front of him is healthy and good enough to not warrant it, that's a great problem to have.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Pick up one of Talbot/Kinkaid/Reimer (if the Canes can pickup assets with him) and re-sign McE to be the veteran backup. Begin giving Ned starts and see if he can take the reigns.
I'd def be down for a kinkaid/Mac combo going into next year.

I dont think Mac gets 3 mil, but I'd be fine giving him 2-2.25. What will Kinkaid cost do you think?

Edit: goes and double checks stats: Kinkaid been terrible this year. jesus, goalies are such nightmares.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
With the names I just read in here, why not just sign M&M to short and cheap deals? Especially with a Darling buyout/trade with max retention on the horizon.

Maybe M&M won't agree to short, cheap deals. I don't think Mrazek will ever be a true #1 and I don't think CMAC can handle a starters load without falling apart.

Talbot is a risk for sure, but if he rebounds (like most goalies when they leave EDM), then we have a guy that could be a true #1, at least for a couple years. That assumes he's still salvageable though.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Maybe M&M won't agree to short, cheap deals. I don't think Mrazek will ever be a true #1 and I don't think CMAC can handle a starters load without falling apart.

Talbot is a risk for sure, but if he rebounds (like most goalies when they leave EDM), then we have a guy that could be a true #1, at least for a couple years. That assumes he's still salvageable though.
Talbots is the most palatable name mentioned, but I can imagine a bidding war on him in the summer, with everyone thinking they can be the team to recapture that one season he had.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Talbots is the most palatable name mentioned, but I can imagine a bidding war on him in the summer, with everyone thinking they can be the team to recapture that one season he had.

Yeah, I wouldn't get in a bidding war for him. I was assuming (maybe incorrectly) that he'd be a cheap reclamation project. If he's going to command high $$ or term, then I'd stay away.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
As long as they would agree to reasonable deals, I'm fine with bringing back Mrazek and McElhinney next season (with the understanding that Ned can work his way into the rotation as well). This is the best goaltending we've had in years (not saying much, I know). Why roll the dice with something different and likely screw it up? I'm apprehensive when it comes to our track record of bringing in new goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad