Post-Game Talk: Canes at Caps-7pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No, have you? I listen to NHL head coaches talk about biggest challenges that they face and read books about prominent coaches. Motivation, inspiration, ways of dealing with interpersonal conflicts are all things of great importance to them.

They have 3 assistants to run the bench and enough support stuff to open a Safeway. What do you think the biggest challenge in a Jan 11 regular season game against Carolina is for head coach Barry Trotz?
Yes I have. I didnt think 75% of it was motivation. I didnt have that many assistants of course. Even with all the assistants Trotz would still make the final decisions on everything. You make it sound like he is a babysitter. Sometimes coaching can be like that.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Yes I have. I didnt think 75% of it was motivation. I didnt have that many assistants of course. Even with all the assistants Trotz would still make the final decisions on everything. You make it sound like he is a babysitter. Sometimes coaching can be like that.

Fair enough. More like final say, I guess.

You just made it sound unusual that a player would not be self motivated enough in a boring-ass mid-season game against Carolina that has no immediate impact on literally anything. I think we are lucky that half of them didn't fall asleep on the bench.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Only losing 3-1 at home vs Caro seems like a small victory. There is easy money to be had when we host Carolina especially on some sort of win streak.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
isabelle says burakovsky is already out for tomorrow
I have been disappointed in him but they also are not putting him in a position to succeed. He needs more minutes on the top two lines. However, I am shocked that he still has not figured out how to shorten his release. Until he figures that out he will not be a consistent scoring threat.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I hope Carolina sent a gift card To refs.
Btw the second goal is listed as unassisted hahaha. How can you have a goal Unassisted after almost a minute of 6 on 5 play.

Alan May was reading my mind lol, after the 3rd backcheck by Ovi, I was also thinking about the Selke lol

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fair enough. More like final say, I guess.

You just made it sound unusual that a player would not be self motivated enough in a boring-ass mid-season game against Carolina that has no immediate impact on literally anything. I think we are lucky that half of them didn't fall asleep on the bench.

You're not wrong. Trotz himself has talked about it. He even asked other coaches how to keep his team motivated for the entire season.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...nd-julien-for-advice-on-how-to-coach.2054107/

Motivation is a HUGE part of performance and coaches are going to find some players aren't motivated the way they need to be. That doesn't mean the team was 0% motivated, maybe they were 70-80% when they needed to be at 90-100%.

The differences at the higher levels between a winning performance and a dud can be subtle because the skills are all practically maxxed out and so close to each other. Small advantages add up. And money or professional status alone are not enough. Top athletes struggle with the same things we all do at our jobs, including doubt, fatigue, motivation, and problems dealing with failure or fears.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
why not? are the pens just magically gonna start playing hockey for real?

You dont know that for sure. I wouldn't bet on them but who knows

The Pens will make a trade, Crosby is playing back at his level finally, Sprong is this years Guentzal for him. They will make it.

Canes goaltending has been bad this season, like the Isles, it will be what sinks them.

I'm going with, in no particular order, Caps, Devils, Pens, Rangers, Jackets. I will throw the sleeper team as the Flyers who may knock someone out, doubtful but I wouldn't be shocked.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That was a exactly the type of game that the Caps lose in the playoffs. I felt like they outplayed the Canes in long stretches....then the penalties piled up a little bit, they got the SHG (which was a gift), and then the phantom 6v5 goal.

Darling played well. We couldnt beat him.

It really felt like a playoff loss, from the perspective of bad bounces, no luck, playoff G standing on head.

Thankfully, it wasnt a playoff game.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I have been disappointed in him but they also are not putting him in a position to succeed. He needs more minutes on the top two lines. However, I am shocked that he still has not figured out how to shorten his release. Until he figures that out he will not be a consistent scoring threat.
They said he was I'll yesterday but apparently he seemed fine during the morning skate. He was scratched at the last minute yesterday and ius already scratched today. He might have a flubug but there also might be moire to this than they are saying. I'm still wondering if the Caps care trying to deal him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The Pens will make a trade, Crosby is playing back at his level finally, Sprong is this years Guentzal for him. They will make it.

Canes goaltending has been bad this season, like the Isles, it will be what sinks them.

I'm going with, in no particular order, Caps, Devils, Pens, Rangers, Jackets. I will throw the sleeper team as the Flyers who may knock someone out, doubtful but I wouldn't be shocked.
You are assuming way too much. These teams are too close to say they will or will not make the playoffs. I'm not counting any of these teams in or out just yet. The way things have played out in this division I dont want to speculate on anything. I just hope the Caps make it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That was a exactly the type of game that the Caps lose in the playoffs. I felt like they outplayed the Canes in long stretches....then the penalties piled up a little bit, they got the SHG (which was a gift), and then the phantom 6v5 goal.

Darling played well. We couldnt beat him.

It really felt like a playoff loss, from the perspective of bad bounces, no luck, playoff G standing on head.

Thankfully, it wasnt a playoff game.
We didnt get a lot if great scoring chances. Carolina did a good job keeping us outside. They were also very aggressive with their checking. When we did have control in the offensive zone there was a guy right on us immediately. I think thatscwhy Backstrom and Kuzy were invisible. Booth if those players are patient with the puck but the Hurricanes were allover them.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I hope Carolina sent a gift card To refs.
Btw the second goal is listed as unassisted hahaha. How can you have a goal Unassisted after almost a minute of 6 on 5 play.

Alan May was reading my mind lol, after the 3rd backcheck by Ovi, I was also thinking about the Selke lol
I already commented on the unassisted goal. The only way it could have been unassisted is if the Caps had control before Rask got the puck. And if that was the case then the play should have been blown dead. If not then there should be some assists on that goal.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You are assuming way too much. These teams are too close to say they will or will not make the playoffs. I'm not counting any of these teams in or out just yet. The way things have played out in this division I dont want to speculate on anything. I just hope the Caps make it.

I hope the Caps miss the playoffs, finish bottom five, win the lottery and get Rasmus Dahlin. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->