Post-Game Talk: Canes at Caps-7pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Does it though? They haven't made the playoffs in how long?

Jackets lose to Buffalo, so no harm done there.
If they played a run and gun game they would be closer to the bottom of the league. Right now they are in a playoff position.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Carlson picked an interesting time to play a awful game. We all know he deserved an all star nod but he certainly didn’t help the argument tonight.

Niskanen...how the $&@“ do you whiff on two straight shots?

Reactions: Devil Dancer

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Oh, well. Not to sound over dramatic but this was not the most exciting game ever.

Oshie is getting better, Eller keeps on keeping on, Beagle created a couple good chances. Bowey is taking baby steps forward. Ovechkin did what he could.

Kuznetsov, where is he? No idea what's going on with him. Just a ghost.

Faulk, I like him. Two more seasons at $4.8m. Just saying.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This is just another no urgency type game, which is the danger of their stated dig-in approach vs. teams like Carolina with good team speed. They still don't have an answer. (It seems way more likely that sharp urgency is the solution rather than some diffuse, safe attrition game but this is nothing new. It's why they find themselves in long series against...everyone.)

Time to bring back Top Line Tom and hope Kuznetsov sucks less on his own. He's been pretty terrible for a while now. I can't take them seriously with this level of soft center play generally. They can structure and team D their way to whatever regular season team success but not enough players play for keeps and I'm not sure that changes any time soon.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
what about barry trotz? is he the reason that carlson basically handed carolina a goal?
It was a lazy pass. Hung Ovi out to dry. Ovi had to decicide on going for the puck or backing off. Ovi went for the puck but got beat. It was the right voice to make. The only thing he could have done was take Staal down. I'm not sure if anyone noticed this or not but Ovi was getting penalty on the play anyway.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
It was a lazy pass. Hung Ovi out to dry. Ovi had to decicide on going for the puck or backing off. Ovi went for the puck but got beat. It was the right voice to make. The only thing he could have done was take Staal down. I'm not sure if anyone noticed this or not but Ovi was getting penalty on the play anyway.

would have been a penalty shot with that slash

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
He should stop stalking the opposing coach and set the tone for once. Let's see how he responds tomorrow.

what is the tone? ive never understood that meaning. (nothing against you :) ) your telling me that these players cant go out and compete and bust their butt without a coach to tell them? if your expecting trotz (or any coach) to magically make them compete harder, i dont know what to say. its like telling your kids to get good grades. either they do it or they dont, you can only tell them so many times

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Lambert said on the bench interview that the goal was to dig in, get all risk out of their game so as not to introduce odd-mans or structural breakdowns and make it a 'hard' game of attrition. That mentality is moronic the closer the playoffs roll around (it's also their basic plan vs. speed).

They need urgency and confidence in their decision-making to make calculated risks and not try to become some perfect yet close to the vest team. It's not going to happen. It's boring and it's gutless.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
what is the tone? ive never understood that meaning. (nothing against you :) ) your telling me that these players cant go out and compete and bust their butt without a coach to tell them? if your expecting trotz (or any coach) to magically make them compete harder, i dont know what to say. its like telling your kids to get good grades. either they do it or they dont, you can only tell them so many times

Motivation is a tool. Some coaches can do it, some can't.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
so again your saying that they need a coach to motivate them to play hard? they cant do it on their own?

Yes, of course. They are humans. They got wives and babies and all manner of things going on outside the rink. It's mid January and there are still 40 some regular season games to go. Motivating players to be the best that they can be is probably %75 of head coaches job.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yes, of course. They are humans. They got wives and babies and all manner of things going on outside the rink. It's mid January and there are still 40 some regular season games to go. Motivating players to be the best that they can be is probably %75 of head coaches job.
Have you ever coached anything before.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Not sure if anyone noticed this or not but on Carolinas goal on the delayed pp the goal was unassisted. If the Caps didnt have control of the puck their should have been assists on the goal.

Reactions: Sam Spade

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Not sure if anyone noticed this or not but on Carolinas goal on the delayed pp the goal was unassisted. If the Caps didnt have control of the puck their should have been assists on the goal.

which is why orpik and the caps are confused

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Canes aren't making the playoffs.
It's not all that unlikely. You're most likely going to have 5 Metro teams fighting for the 2 WC spots.

Which of those lower Metro teams that finish WC2 would give TB the best battle?
Don't want the Bolts to have an easy round 1.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Have you ever coached anything before.
No, have you? I listen to NHL head coaches talk about biggest challenges that they face and read books about prominent coaches. Motivation, inspiration, ways of dealing with interpersonal conflicts are all things of great importance to them.

They have 3 assistants to run the bench and enough support stuff to open a Safeway. What do you think the biggest challenge in a Jan 11 regular season game against Carolina is for head coach Barry Trotz?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
which is why orpik and the caps are confused

I agree it was a bad call. It seems every game this year the officials make a mistake that either gives a team a goal or takes a goal away. They are deciding the outcome if games. I'm not saying we would have won the game but we will never know.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Was too busy to post this earlier but I didn't have a good feeling for this one.

Caps on a 5 game run, 10 at CapOne. Canes on the playoff bubble, hungrier. Was thinking I'll take a 3 pt game, either way.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Good thing we built ourselves a cushion this past month. It feels like a long time ago since we lost or got limited to 1 goal.

We'll get them tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->