Proposal: Canes and Sens

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
To Ottawa: Morgan Geekie, Blues 2021 7th round pick

To Carolina: Eric Gudbranson 30% retained

Carolina looking for a right D and Gudbranson has playoff experience. Also Gudbranson will be a rental thus the 7th round pick.

As for the Senators the get a young C/RW who the Sens can slot into a top 9 slot. Also with all the young wingers the canes have coming up does Morgan really have a long term career with the Canes.

Is this a fair trade or should it be tweaked just a little? Or do Canes fan totally say no to Gudbranson?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'd imagine that some/ all of McGinn, Trocheck, and Niederreiter could price themselves out of town at some stage

Players like Necas, Geekie, Bokk, Rees, etc. will be leaned on as younger guys under team control

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The return is off. While he makes sense stylistically, the cap fit is not there at that number. $2.8 mil is too much for a rotation defender. The Canes' deadline space is very deceiving with the performance bonuses the team is the hook for. He needs to be at or close to the $2 mil mark for the team to be interested at all, imo.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
The return is off. While he makes sense stylistically, the cap fit is not there at that number. $2.8 mil is too much for a rotation defender. The Canes' deadline space is very deceiving with the performance bonuses the team is the hook for. He needs to be at or close to the $2 mil mark for the team to be interested at all, imo.
According to Cap Friendly Erik's Cap hit fir the remainder of the year is 1.1 Million.

Now my question is does the cap hit play off his regular season salary or does it play off the remaining salary. If its the remaining salary then his cap hit would be $770,000

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Awful value for CAR.

I’m all for using Geekie to acquire help at the deadline, but he’s certainly got to have more value that friggin Gudbranson.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If Carolina is looking to bolster their defense for the playoffs I imagine they'll trade for a D-man that's actually good.

Reactions: Tryamw

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
According to Cap Friendly Erik's Cap hit fir the remainder of the year is 1.1 Million.

Now my question is does the cap hit play off his regular season salary or does it play off the remaining salary. If its the remaining salary then his cap hit would be $770,000

$1.1 mil is roughly his real salary remaining pre-escrow and the deferment. It's independent of his cap hit in this context.

With 30% retention, his cap hit is $2.8 mil in this scenario. That's comes off the deadline cap space number. It may be easier to look at the effect it has on the projected cap space figure. Gudbranson at that number would eat up ~800k for the rest of the season if acquired today, leaving ~$1.3-ish mil (assumes that the team runs a 23 man roster every day the rest of the way). The bonuses for Svechnikov, Necas and Bean come off the projected cap space figure. The total of those could be as high as ~$1.6 mil. An overage would result from that. There's a reason why the GM is talking about potentially trading a goalie for cap room despite having $10 mil+ on off days in deadline space.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I can see someone being interested in Gudbranson @ 50% and but even then you’re not going to get a Geekie out of it, even if he’s destined for a career bottom-6 role.
Give Ottawa a late pick and I think both teams leave happy.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I'd trade Gudbranson for the 7th.

I'd definetly trade him for Geekie.

This seems like a win-win. :D

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Succinctly, I consider Gudbranson to be a negative asset.

You could offer Gudbranson + 5th for a Bojangles Boberry biscuit and I would be inclined to say no.
Well I doubt you could afford to pay him :P and I agree I doubt the 'Canes front office would either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We shouldn’t need to give up Geekie to pull this one off. If other moves fall through I could see us giving up a late round pick, but not a solid piece like Geekie.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad