Confirmed with Link: Canes Acquire Scott Darling for a 3rd, signed 4.15 x4

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
If you haven't seen it, really good article on Darling's journey:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article149810534.html

Darling was spotted early, already a gangly 6-foot-6 as a teenager, leaving Chicago to play prep-school and junior hockey, heavily recruited by college-hockey powerhouse Maine and a sixth-round draft pick of the then-Phoenix Coyotes. His talent was undeniable, but he also felt socially anxious and unsure of himself, a burden he self-medicated with alcohol both before and after he got to Maine, where he was first suspended and then dismissed from the team after his sophomore season.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/15/report-ben-bishop-wasnt-dallas-first-choice/

According to this article, the Dallas Stars preferred to have signed Scott Darling over Ben Bishop. If this is true, it would explain the high cost of Darling's UFA status (a 3rd round pick) compared to the usual 4th or 5th for similar players in the past. The goalie market is pretty hot this summer, with more teams looking for a #1 than usual. I suspect that Blackhawks put out calls for Darling and saw that there was enough interest for them to demand a 3rd. With this scenario in mind, I'm pretty happy that we paid the price and committed to Darling.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I am pretty sure Hawks didnt want to deal Darling to Stars anyway, if there was any teams from East, like Canes, who wanted him

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I had zero problems dealing the 3rd rounder to start with, so knowing Dallas was interested doesn't really change anything for me. It was our 7th pick in this draft so even if Darling never signed, I was fine with taking the risk.

The contract is longer than I'd have liked for a guy that never played a game for us, but that would have been the going rate for any good, UFA goalie so there was not a lot that can be done about that. The dollar amount is fine. If he plays well, the contract will be a good one. If he sucks, it will be a bad one no matter if he was paid $3M or $4M.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You mean he doesn't like Vinegar with some sugar and crushed red pepper mixed in on his pulled pork? Man is smarter than I thought. :sarcasm:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
smh using the same meat for both styles :rant:

For real tho. Backyard Bistro's food is good, but they don't have the BBQ 100% down like an authentic BBQ place. Though they have the best hush puppies I've ever had surprinsgly. This test needs to be redone with two proper BBQ places competing against each other

Hockeywatching

May 9, 2015
Difficult for someone just moving to Raleigh to pick a side. I thought chopped East BBQ sounded way worse than pulled West, but I was quickly converted. Either way still better than that mustard garbage :sarcasm:

The real question is, now that he is out of Chicago, will he be able to give us his un-biased stance on pizza?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Difficult for someone just moving to Raleigh to pick a side. I thought chopped East BBQ sounded way worse than pulled West, but I was quickly converted. Either way still better than that mustard garbage :sarcasm:

The real question is, now that he is out of Chicago, will he be able to give us his un-biased stance on pizza?

The only wrong stance on pizza is having a stance. Pizza is heavenly and delightful in all of its forms.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ducking before Incubation sees this thread :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, there are certain foods some people are passionate about and certain ones they aren't. Pizza is that way for me. There are certain toppings I won't like, but I'm a fan of NY style, Chicago style, Brick-oven, thin crust, etc, so I'm not very picky when it comes to Pizza. I do know people who are though (mainly from NY and Chicago).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Speaking of which, is there anywhere in the Triangle that does a real good Chicago style? I know there's Rosati's in Morrisville but the service there is kindof lacking at times.

On another note, not surprising that Dallas was after Darling as well. The analytics guys all love him though I don't know if they're as analytics heavy as we are.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Speaking of which, is there anywhere in the Triangle that does a real good Chicago style? I know there's Rosati's in Morrisville but the service there is kindof lacking at times.

On another note, not surprising that Dallas was after Darling as well. The analytics guys all love him though I don't know if they're as analytics heavy as we are.

Not really. Uno closed down (and was crap). I suppose Old Chicago in Chapel Hill is the closest (and they have a decent beer selection) but it's still not a true Chicago style deep dish.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
This is the only board I've ever come to regularly to check for new posts and then leave hungry more often than not.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Speaking of which, is there anywhere in the Triangle that does a real good Chicago style? I know there's Rosati's in Morrisville but the service there is kindof lacking at times..

Caveat: I've never been there

I was told there was a place in Holly Springs called Acme? Pizza that served authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. One of my neighbors said he's gone there a few times and liked it and claims it's authentic.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Caveat: I've never been there

I was told there was a place in Holly Springs called Acme? Pizza that served authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. One of my neighbors said he's gone there a few times and liked it and claims it's authentic.

Definitely called Acme. I'm not sure if it's exclusively deep dish Chicago style. I've been there and it was ... fine?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
chicago pizza isnt even really pizza though

its like dough sauce pie

It really is more like a casserole than anything else. dough, then a couple inches of meat and cheese, then some more dough, then sauce on the top. I've been to most of the big pizza places in Chicago and I don't see what's so great about it. Plus I don't want to have to eat my pizza with a fork. Pizza should be a no utensils required kinda thing.

When in Chicago I always look for Greek food. That's really what that town should be known for.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Probably should be moved to the food thread. What ever happened to Klausie's Pizza? A few years ago I heard they were looking for a permanent location, then nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->