Canelo vs Golovkin

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Canelo wasn't convincing at all in this 'win'. GGG was outclassing him in spots.
GGG wasn't 'convincing' either. Canelo was clearly leading after 8.

A two round spurt near the ending isn't going to get GGG the win, sadly.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Canelo was mostly just trying to survive in the later rounds. I'll admit I'm impressed he took all that punishment.

Wasn't exactly a bunch of punishment. He wasn't dazed and confused. Didn't get close to going down.

Accept that GGG lost, sheesh. This is downright comical.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I'm more so just amazed as to how anybody could give Canelo the last round lel

Wouldn't be so much of an eye roll about the sport if they had Canelo winning 7 of the first 8 with GGG just running out of rounds.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
GGG wasn't 'convincing' either. Canelo was clearly leading after 8.

A two round spurt near the ending isn't going to get GGG the win, sadly.

You don't have to be to retain a title. To win one, however...

Wasn't exactly a bunch of punishment. He wasn't dazed and confused. Didn't get close to going down.

Accept that GGG lost, sheesh. This is downright comical.

Canelo absolutely wobbled a few times in the later rounds.

Reactions: 1specter

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Anyway, we are all winners tonight as it was a very entertaining fight and we are likely to get a 3rd fight.

As a Lemieux fan, I am a little disappointed because I hoped he would get the winner, but it is pretty obvious their will be a rematch first. Lemieux will probably fight Munguia and then the two winners will meet. Winners are boxing fans.

Which is why moaning about the past without truly knowing what really happened, or moaning about the decision tonight is pointless.

Smile, enjoy it for what it is. We all win, 3rd fight should be just as good if not better with GGG motivated to prove tonight wrong.

Cochese

Mar 14, 2008
Great fight, could’ve gone either way. Canelo probably took it for going after GGG. Not sure where this GGG ‘dominant’ take is coming from.

Dude isn’t juicin, he’s just Mexican.
Viva Mexico!

Reactions: LaVar and CPTN71

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I don't really believe that Golovkin has what it takes for third fight. He is too old & has been out of his prime for years. No reason to hurt his legacy anymore by fighting way younger cheating opponent who has judges on his side every single time.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This sport has gone to the dogs sadly. I love boxing and train in it myself but **** like this is so frustrating. Unfortunately Golden Boy and 28 year old Canelo winning will line the pockets of everyone involved more than a 36 year old GGG winning will.

Reactions: Gains

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
this result didn't matter. i thought GGG had the slight edge but i wouldn't say he was robbed this time like he was in the first fight

there was always going to be a 3rd fight and i'd guess GGG takes it

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I thought the fight was extremely close. To me Canelo took more rounds, but GGG's rounds were more convincing. I didn't think Canelo won the last round, but I don't think that the cards were unfair in terms of aggregate score.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
GGG was touted as this knockout artist who would put Canelo out. Canelo stood in front of him for 24 rounds and effectively neutralized him. I thought Canelo won the first fight, haven't watched the rematch yet but based on what i've read it sounds like Canelo was even more aggressive and brought it to him.

Canelo also has fought higher caliber fighters and has one L to Mayweather. Danny Jacobs went the distance with GGG and since then he hasn't been the killer he was chalked up to be.

Sep 19, 2008
I give three reasons why Canelo won and why I, when asked who would win the fight beforehand, thought that Canelo would win.

1) Canelo and the judges are in cahoots, as evidenced by the Byrd decision. Atlas has been talking all year and even after the Canelo - GGG first fight about how the boxing judges are literally invited to a promoter's dinner beforehand, how there is no separation between church and state in boxing. Whether you wanted Canelo to win or lose, the reality of the situation is there's going to be this bias for him because of Golden Boy's stature in Las Vegas.

2) Canelo would be heavily motivated by GGG's repeated trash talk over the year where he called Canelo a cheater. Abel Sanchez was also hitting social media beforehand stirring up a lot of trash talk.

3) Canelo would be the younger talent while GGG is getting up there in age and looked vulnerable in his first matchup as well as in his prior matchup against Danny Jacobs. GGG put up a heroic effort and it was a damn close match. But the younger guy did win. If you don't want it to go to the judges, knock him out. GGG in his late rounds delivered a flurry of blows but still wasn't able to knock Canelo out. If the fight goes the distance, again, you leave it in the hands of the judges.

If they fight round 3, it will probably go to the judges again. And you know what happens with Canelo and the judges. It would probably be a good match, but you know who's going to win.

Reactions: Dialamo

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I give three reasons why Canelo won and why I, when asked who would win the fight beforehand, thought that Canelo would win.

1) Canelo and the judges are in cahoots, as evidenced by the Byrd decision. Atlas has been talking all year and even after the Canelo - GGG first fight about how the boxing judges are literally invited to a promoter's dinner beforehand, how there is no separation between church and state in boxing. Whether you wanted Canelo to win or lose, the reality of the situation is there's going to be this bias for him because of Golden Boy's stature in Las Vegas.

2) Canelo would be heavily motivated by GGG's repeated trash talk over the year where he called Canelo a cheater. Abel Sanchez was also hitting social media beforehand stirring up a lot of trash talk.

3) Canelo would be the younger talent while GGG is getting up there in age and looked vulnerable in his first matchup as well as in his prior matchup against Danny Jacobs. GGG put up a heroic effort and it was a damn close match. But the younger guy did win. If you don't want it to go to the judges, knock him out. GGG in his late rounds delivered a flurry of blows but still wasn't able to knock Canelo out. If the fight goes the distance, again, you leave it in the hands of the judges.

If they fight round 3, it will probably go to the judges again. And you know what happens with Canelo and the judges. It would probably be a good match, but you know who's going to win.
Yup, not sure why some people try to pretend this is not a a real issue.

This article sums it up really well

Chief among those built-in cheats is the process by which judges (and officials) are selected. The process is boxing’s dirty little secret, seldom the focus of any boxing media attention, but every bit as important as the ubiquitous pre-fight tales of the tape. The reality behind how boxing handles its own judging and officiating would make boxing outsiders wonder how such things could still be going on, especially in a sport where death is, literally, a possible outcome.
“Believe it or not, the promoters pay the judges,” affirmed former two-division world champ and TV commentator Bobby Czyz in a 2009 Fight Hype interview. “The judges are appointed by the commission and the promoter pays them. That’s part of his responsibility. Now, the sanctioning bodies, what they’ll do is say, ‘Any one of these 12 judges, we’ll accept’ because the sanctioning bodies have to accept the judges or they won’t sanction it as a title fight.”
For those not familiar with the judging system in boxing, here’s how it works:
A list of judges, pre-approved by the lead promoter, is taken by the sanctioning body to the commission (which is also often filled with buddies and old cronies of the promoter) and, from that list, three judges are appointed for the bout. The promoter is then responsible for not only providing payment to the judges, but in some states, required to provide for food, accommodations, and a small per diem to cover the judges’ expenses. In other words, the current system is one where the promoter is in control of virtually every aspect when it comes to selection and compensation of the officials.
So, in short, the person with the most to win or lose from a fight has pretty much ultimate say as to who will judge and officiate a bout featuring his fighter.
Per Mitch Abramson of the New York Daily News in a 2009 article:
“…it’s the relationship between the judges and the promoters that should be examined.
In the dense world of boxing, judges who score these fights are on the payroll of the event’s promoter.
For appearances sake, the promoter hands the check over to the commission, who then delivers it to the judges. But the result is the same: The promoter is paying the judge to make a decision in a fight the promoter has a financial stake in…This is outrageous. In no other major professional sport is a team owner responsible for the salary and housing of its officials.
You don’t see Yankees owner George Steinbrenner pulling up in a golf cart and cutting a check for “Cowboy” Joe West, or any other umpire. Major League Baseball handles that fiduciary duty. You don’t see James Dolan, who oversees the Knicks, waiting in a Garden corridor to pay [official] Dick Bavetta.”​
While there’s no evidence of overt pressure to score a fight to the benefit of the lead promoter’s fighter, there really isn’t a need for any coercion. The implication is clear if you’re a judge– Score the fight the “right” way or you may not get that next big assignment. No easy paycheck, no paid vacation, no comp hotel room, no per diem, no adrenaline rush from being ringside at a big fight.

Boxing’s Dirty Little Secret

Really sad. At least with UFC when there is a bad decision it's usually due to incompetence and not because of a fix, and it's much more rare than in boxing.

Reactions: Gains and Dialamo

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Basically at this point when there is a big time fight, I just go into it hoping to watch a good fight and have tried training myself to not care about the result. With GGG-Canelo it is a little easier because they are my two favorite boxers (but I still believe GGG won both fights). In the second fight, I got what I wanted because it was a great watch, but the unfortunate truth is when you have specifically Mayweather or Canelo fighting in Vegas, they simply will not lose without being knocked out. It will never happen. It does not matter how lopsided the fight is, the judges will score it for Canelo or Mayweather. I mean I know why their opponents agree to the fights in Vegas, because it will be their biggest paydays possible and only way to make it happen, but if they really cared about more than that, nobody would ever agree to it. Put Golovkin-Canelo in Madison Square Garden and Golovkin would have won both fights. The scoring and "official result" of a boxing match is a joke. There is no way around it. So you have to just watch the fight for its entertainmnt value and that is it.​

Reactions: Dialamo

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
118-110 Adalaide Byrd screwed GGG in the first one

the second one was closer, but Canelo faded in the later rounds and GGG took over

GGG should have won 7-5 IMO, but it was in Vegas, and as someone already pointed out - you are not beating a Mexican fighter or PBF in Vegas without a KO (Canelo has got a GRANITE chin!)

sucks, but that's boxing

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
118-110 Adalaide Byrd screwed GGG in the first one

the second one was closer, but Canelo faded in the later rounds and GGG took over

GGG should have won 7-5 IMO, but it was in Vegas, and as someone already pointed out - you are not beating a Mexican fighter or PBF in Vegas without a KO (Canelo has got a GRANITE chin!)

sucks, but that's boxing
At least with Floyd, his wins were so decisive that there really wasn't much doubt ever with who the winner was. I know some Latinos / Floyd haters like to pretend that De La Hoya beat him but Floyd took that fight with ease IMO. The only controversial fight was his first fight with Castillo but then they rematched and Floyd clearly beat him.

With Canelo, there have been some very questionable decisions with Lara, Trout and now Golovkin. And then there was also that 114-114 card against Floyd which was f***ing ridiculous; Canelo got clowned that fight and hit air all night long.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This fight was so close. Nobody got robbed. The fans got what they wanted to see.

The only disappointing thing is that the first fight didn't go to GGG like most people agree it should have. A rubber match just sounds so much better than a third fight after a controversial fight followed by a close fight. Some might say everybody knows GGG won the first fight, but it still just doesn't have the same ring to it. Whether he admits it out loud or not, hopefully Canelo knows he lost that first fight and agrees to a 3rd fight to prove himself anyway.

Reactions: m9 and Dialamo

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
At least with Floyd, his wins were so decisive that there really wasn't much doubt ever with who the winner was. I know some Latinos / Floyd haters like to pretend that De La Hoya beat him but Floyd took that fight with ease IMO. The only controversial fight was his first fight with Castillo but then they rematched and Floyd clearly beat him.

With Canelo, there have been some very questionable decisions with Lara, Trout and now Golovkin. And then there was also that 114-114 card against Floyd which was ****ing ridiculous; Canelo got clowned that fight and hit air all night long.
I thought the first Mayweather Maidana fight was very close. Maidana won 3 or even 4 of the first 5 rounds, then Mayweather took over in the second half of the fight. Hmmmmm what does that sound like? Difference is Mayweather will always get the decision, Golovkin would not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad