GDT: CandyCanes vs Wings

TVR?

• Total voters

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aren't those charts just a reflection of 5v5 play?

5v5: Goals for / 60 the Canes are 3rd best in the NHL
5v5: Goals against / 60 the Canes are 11th best in the NHL.

The charts aren't really that surprising given that.

We all know the problem.

PP: GF/60: 31st in the NHL
PK: GA/60: 31st in the NHL

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Aren't those charts just a reflection of 5v5 play?

5v5: Goals for / 60 the Canes are 3rd best in the NHL
5v5: Goals against / 60 the Canes are 11th best in the NHL.

The charts aren't really that surprising given that.

We all know the problem.

PP: GF/60: 31st in the NHL
PK: GA/60: 31st in the NHL

This and this. Canes are playing very well 5v5, it isn't the same mirage Peters was producing (at least not as extreme). A bad PP and the PK will destroy any team's Playoff chances.

Playoff teams last year in the bottom-10 of the league for PP%: Anaheim (#23) and Columbus (#25)
Playoff teams last year in the bottom-10 of the league for PK%: Columbus (#26) and Tampa (#28)

Columbus was the only Playoff team bottom-10 in both categories and had Bobrovsky in net.

On the other side:
Playoff teams last year in the top-10 of the league for PP%: 9 of 10
Playoff teams last year in the top-10 of the league for PK%: 8 of 10

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I ain’t got time for all that fancy stat nonsense but I would wholeheartedly agree you’re not getting far with awful special teams.

The pp had been bad for years, but I’m not getting the drop in the pk.

Still want to see the best forwards and Hamilton together on a top unit for at least three games.

We’re really missing Lindy on the draws, he was a good pp player for that. Staal isn’t really the best pp guy and he’s obviously lefty.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
True, but also:

Playoff teams last year in the top-10 of the league in 5v5G: 8 of 10
Playoff teams last year in the top-10 of the league in 5v5GA: 8 of 10

TBL was 1st in the league in 5v5 GF and 11th for 5v5 GA
CLB was 7th best for 5v5 GF in the league and 12th for 5v5 GA
ANA was 4th best for 5v5 GA in the league.

Those teams may have had some struggles on PP and PK, but made up for it 5v5. There are many ways to get to get there, but we all agree being DEAD LAST in PP and PK wont't cut it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Is that the lineup for tonight, the same lines as every other game??? Stay the course I guess....

Although I didn't see the last couple of games, the lineup 5v5 isn't the problem for the team so it might not make sense changing it for the sake of changing it. PP/PK would make sense making changes to. Unfortunately, I think until they figure it out, it might not matter who is on the PP and PK.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Although I didn't see the last couple of games, the lineup 5v5 isn't the problem for the team so it might not make sense changing it for the sake of changing it. PP/PK would make sense making changes to. Unfortunately, I think until they figure it out, it might not matter who is on the PP and PK.
The last two games we scored two goals. Some small changes to see if there is chemistry in other combinations wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The last two games we scored two goals. Some small changes to see if there is chemistry in other combinations wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Fair point. Like I said, I hadn't seen the last couple so didn't know if they were getting chances and not cashing in, or just not generating many good chances.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Is that the lineup for tonight, the same lines as every other game??? Stay the course I guess....
For all we know there could have been some commitment by Rod to not change the lines (with the exceptions of callups etc.) for the first 10 games.

The team has not looked bad 5v5. They have had some trouble scoring the past few games, but they have generated some chances. Also I would not touch the Aho line.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Fair point. Like I said, I hadn't seen the last couple so didn't know if they were getting chances and not cashing in, or just not generating many good chances.
Some good chances, some wasted opportunities. It was definitely looking more Peters-like in the shot selections and the absence of people in front of the net to receive a few nice passes to the slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad