Confirmed with Link: Candidate Host Cities, Pittsburgh Included

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is what doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of squeezing in these games if it then means delaying next season? At this point if practices aren't going to even start until July I say just scrap this season and restart next year. Either that or greatly reduce the playoffs to the top 8 teams in each conference with shorter rounds (3-5 until the finals)

It makes some sense if they believe that you can't have ticketed attendance until early in 2021 at the soonest. The NHL is still a gate driven league, with relatively small television revenues. Better to run a shortened 2021 season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Actually, the more I think about it, they probably see it as the best way to capture a bigger share of t.v. viewership while other sports are shut down in order to get a bigger, better t.v. deal.

Aren't we due to re-negotiate that soon?

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It makes some sense if they believe that you can't have ticketed attendance until early in 2021 at the soonest. The NHL is still a gate driven league, with relatively small television revenues. Better to run a shortened 2021 season.

They'll still have an 82 game season next year, even if it means finishing late

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
8oKGEs.gif

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
They want to finish playoffs for a variety of reasons. Capturing the viewership while other sports are shutdown is definitely one. Getting a practice run on playing games while Covid runs wild is another. None of the teams that made moves at the deadline to chase the cup want to lose those assets for nothing. And ultimately it just feels wrong to have the majority of the season play out with no playoffs.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Regarding practice rinks, maybe the teams don't have to stay in the same city?

From Columbus, Cleveland is 2 hours, Dayton 1, Cincinnati <2, and Wheeling 2. All of those cities have professional arenas that could be used for practice. Teams travel <2 hours to the "hub city" on game day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->