Confirmed with Link: Candidate Host Cities, Pittsburgh Included

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like the 2 best options for host cities are Edmonton and Vegas, but I can't see the NHL going with 2 Western cities. I think Columbus and Vegas will ultimately be the two cities, although I think Toronto and Edmonton also make a fair amount of sense.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I feel like the 2 best options for host cities are Edmonton and Vegas, but I can't see the NHL going with 2 Western cities. I think Columbus and Vegas will ultimately be the two cities, although I think Toronto and Edmonton also make a fair amount of sense.
Bettman actually said in a separate interview that they aren't hung up on East v West for host cities. They will pick the 2 best candidates, wherever those cities may be, and adjust the game start times accordingly. There's no in person fan work schedules to accommodate, and the players can adjust their internal clocks to whatever the game start times are.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Vegas and Dallas are my picks, with Cbus right behind

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
My prediction is a Pens vs Oilers in the finals with some fans being allowed in each arena.
Yeah my dream, unrealistic scenario is that they play out the tournaments in the host cities, but then for the cup finals they do a normal best of 7, alternating between the two home venues, and a 1/3 capacity is allowed to attend.

My expectation: With all the states opening up business, Covid-19 is going to spike again and we won't finish the playoffs, if we even start it at all.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I don't like Vegas as a choice because of the insane interview that city's mayor gave Anderson Cooper a few weeks ago and that that city attracts so many visitors. I would be nervous that local officials would be willing to compromise on public-health issues to jumpstart the economy and sell the "Vegas is back!" narrative.

If I were in charge, I would seriously consider these two scenarios

• Toronto & Los Angeles (dark horse: Minneapolis)
  • Edmonton (dark horse: Vancouver) & Columbus/Pittsburgh
In each, Canada gets a host city, the difference in times zones make it easier for TV scheduling, and each of the cities have handled public-health concerns relatively well. Given that games will be played in August, heat/ice quality might hurt LA's chances and could help EDM's.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Why is this being pushed to July before even a training camp starts?

Flu season and a very possible 2nd wave of COVID will be in full swing by the time the Cup Final starts.

I'd push to get this going sooner than later if I'm the NHL.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So basically the playoffs will end and the puck will drop on the next season the next day?

If we are getting games until August, which is ridiculous, then next season won't start until December. Don't see why games can't start mid-July

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If we are getting games until August, which is ridiculous, then next season won't start until December. Don't see why games can't start mid-July

That would make sense if they want any chance of attended games.

In related news the Pens are giving a 15 percent discount on season ticket holder renewals and 25 percent if you apply the refunded amount for games lost last year toward next year.

But I spoke to a representative of the Pens and he said that the details are up in the air but the discount will be in the form of a credit placed on a card good for concessions or extra tickets. That would be thousands of dollars for most.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The AHL rep I talked to about tickets said that they believe their season will start in January.

Should I ever go back to the local bar here, I just found out that the Pens's lead lawyer is somewhat a regular. Maybe I could chat him up for some information haha.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
So basically the playoffs will end and the puck will drop on the next season the next day?
This is what doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of squeezing in these games if it then means delaying next season? At this point if practices aren't going to even start until July I say just scrap this season and restart next year. Either that or greatly reduce the playoffs to the top 8 teams in each conference with shorter rounds (3-5 until the finals)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is what doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of squeezing in these games if it then means delaying next season? At this point if practices aren't going to even start until July I say just scrap this season and restart next year. Either that or greatly reduce the playoffs to the top 8 teams in each conference with shorter rounds (3-5 until the finals)

They don't want a laps in handing out the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad