Confirmed with Link: Candidate Host Cities, Pittsburgh Included

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I figured this deserved its own thread.

NHL plans to return with 24-team Stanley Cup Playoffs

NHL planning 24-team return in 2 hub cities; new draft lottery format - TSN.ca

upload_2020-5-26_23-42-25-png.347720

Who are your front runners to become host cities? Does Pittsburgh stand a chance and why?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think IF you get a spot in the western PA to Ohio area, then it's only going to be one, and from everything I've loosely gathered, Columbus is more likely than Pittsburgh.

I really think Vegas is one of the spots.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I think IF you get a spot in the western PA to Ohio area, then it's only going to be one, and from everything I've loosely gathered, Columbus is more likely than Pittsburgh.

I really think Vegas is one of the spots.

I think the NBA is starting to focus on Orlando but they were talking about Vegas and Orlando as start up sites. That could be an issue.

Reactions: KIRK

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I haven't seen anything official published on this, so what are the requirements to be a host city?

Low and declining Covid-19 cases is a given.

Minimum number of hotel rooms? Medical facilities? What about sheets of practice ice? Could you manage 12 teams worth of practice on the 2 sheets at the Lemieux complex and the arena itself?

Do you manage it like spring training where each team has its own practice rink at a local facility and just comes to the arena for games?

How far away can hotels/practice/game facilities be?

Can you play games at non NHL arenas? For example can they hold games at university sheets in Minnesota?

If in LA, would they use Staples Center and Honda Center?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I haven't seen anything official published on this, so what are the requirements to be a host city?

Low and declining Covid-19 cases is a given.

Minimum number of hotel rooms? Medical facilities? What about sheets of practice ice? Could you manage 12 teams worth of practice on the 2 sheets at the Lemieux complex and the arena itself?

Do you manage it like spring training where each team has its own practice rink at a local facility and just comes to the arena for games?

How far away can hotels/practice/game facilities be?

Can you play games at non NHL arenas? For example can they hold games at university sheets in Minnesota?

If in LA, would they use Staples Center and Honda Center?

Would be nice also if they factored, however slightly, the quality of ice during warm months in the specific arenas.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Would the Lemieux Complex in Cranberry be a site of games? They've got two rinks. Not sure about the locker room(s) up there. Also not sure how televise-able games there would be.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Would guess LA and Toronto.

Two Rinks in LA and Toronto

There's a 0.00% chance of LA given how shut down they are (and the talk from their local leaders of staying that way for another 90 days).

Whatever cities are picked are at a minimum going to be open to the degree that places like FL, GA, TX are open now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Normally a city would kill to be one of two host cities.

However, as long as restaurants, bars, etc. are closed, or at least very limited, the benefits will also be very limited.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dallas has reopened for dine in. I believe Columbus just did the same.

That said, @Jaded-Fan, I suspect teams will cater all meals.

The main point is that normally this would be a goldmine for a city, with people flying in from around the country. Like the college basketball tournament on steroids. Filled hotels, restaurants, bars, on and on.

This will be nothing like that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The main point is that normally this would be a goldmine for a city, with people flying in from around the country. Like the college basketball tournament on steroids. Filled hotels, restaurants, bars, on and on.

This will be nothing like that.

Ah, got ya.

Honestly, a city will kill anyway. Just to have the hotels used and some extra restaurant deliveries. Trivial in comparison to what might have been, but I'd think several of them like Dallas and Columbus will take the 'anything helps' perspective.

Reactions: Fordy and Jaded-Fan

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I watched a video the other day on how devastated Las Vegas has been during the lockdown. The strip is a ghost town, everything is lit up as normal but there is no foot traffic there and no vehicle traffic either. Does that are have adequate hockey facilities to host? They definitely have everything else covered.

I would scratch Chicago off the list as it is still a hot spot for COVID19.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I watched a video the other day on how devastated Las Vegas has been during the lockdown. The strip is a ghost town, everything is lit up as normal but there is no foot traffic there and no vehicle traffic either. Does that are have adequate hockey facilities to host? They definitely have everything else covered.

I would scratch Chicago off the list as it is still a hot spot for COVID19.

Vegas has adequate facilities. Magnificent arena on the strip, and a first rate practice facility in Summerlin. Plus, the 'ghost town' angle probably makes it more attractive for the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad