Cancell the season then court approval for replacement players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBreed19

I think this is the NHL's fate and something that will be payback for the Nhlpa , for not acting on the problems that face the Nhl. The players truly have a great leader in Goodenow! Let's just see how the feel, when they lose part of next years salary. I willing to bet that Goodenow's head will roll for this. ;)

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Well I don't know the legalities to it, but I'd be willing to bet that if the NHL could and did use scabs, like the NFL did, the players would be coming back by the hundreds - like spiders poppin' out of an egg sack.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
scaredsensfan said:
What kinda dumb consumer would pay to watch replacements?

I would, just to support the NHL and their fight against the union

if enough people go out to games, the NHLPA would fold like a cheap suit

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:

A smart consumer? If replacements are brought in, the BEST, FASTEST way to get the real NHL players back is to pay full price to watch the replacements. Do this for 2 weeks, and the PA would CRUMBLE. The key to the PA maintaining solidarity if replacements are brought in is the fans not giving their money to the owners. If the fans continue to give money to the owners, then....

BTW, a few markets could get away with this (Toronto for sure), as people would NOT ditch their season ticket place if replacements were brought in.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
likea said:

That kind of decision on the part of fans, on general principle, might occur in parts of Canada, but it doesn't stand a prayer of working in most US markets. Not for hockey. The owners know it too.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Drake1588 said:
That kind of decision on the part of fans, on general principle, might occur in parts of Canada, but it doesn't stand a prayer of working in most US markets. Not for hockey. The owners know it too.

It would happen in Pittsburgh . . . I would place money on that.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When the NFL went to replacements, there were oceans of empty seats. The quality of play was, to be polite, spotty. That really didn't matter, however -- as soon as a few players crossed the line, the rest followed pretty quickly, and the strike was over shortly thereafter. All it will take is a few regulars to cross, then the taboo would be lifted.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Drake1588 said:

it depends on how sick the small market fans are of not being able to compete fairly

it seems the majority of people in NHL cities support the owners, if those same people attend games or even if 70% of them did, the NHLPA would fold

I would expect at least 200 NHLPA members to come into camp if replacement players are used and more would follow very shortly

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Larionov said:
When the NFL went to replacements, there were oceans of empty seats. The quality of play was, to be polite, spotty. That really didn't matter, however -- as soon as a few players crossed the line, the rest followed pretty quickly, and the strike was over shortly thereafter. All it will take is a few regulars to cross, then the taboo would be lifted.

And remember what happened to those players that crossed the line. They have never been allowed to join the NFLPA and therefore have never played another game of football with the NFL. I think most players will think of that before they cross the line.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
scaredsensfan said:

I am pretty sure that you would have a full 50% of the NHL players cross teh pickets lines anyways, so with some ahl talented added to that you would have a product with enough quality to please everyone i am sure. I know people will see visions of the NFL's disaster, but remember the the NFL is now the strongest sport league in North America.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I for one, would watch replacements. The Baby Sens vs Baby Leafs at the ACC was some exciting hockey. You could tell that it wasnt NHL calibre, but the excitement was there, which you pay to see.

SENSible1*

Icey said:
And remember what happened to those players that crossed the line. They have never been allowed to join the NFLPA and therefore have never played another game of football with the NFL. I think most players will think of that before they cross the line.

Icey,

If you are going to post something, at least have the decency to have a clue. Joe Montana, along with numerous other stars and everyday NFLers crossed the line and continued to play for years after the fact.

You have heard of Joe Montana, haven't you?

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Icey,

If you are going to post something, at least have the decency to have a clue. Joe Montana, along with numerous other stars and everyday NFLers crossed the line and continued to play for years after the fact.

:handclap:

I'm glad someone got to it before me

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
Icey,

Montana?
Yeah he was a pretty good player.
Joe Montaina though, now there is a great tackler.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Icey,

Other prominent line-crossers included Steve Largent, Lawrence Taylor and Tony Dorsett. All of them went on to be elected to the Hall of Fame.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Egil said:
A smart consumer? If replacements are brought in, the BEST, FASTEST way to get the real NHL players back is to pay full price to watch the replacements. Do this for 2 weeks, and the PA would CRUMBLE. The key to the PA maintaining solidarity if replacements are brought in is the fans not giving their money to the owners. If the fans continue to give money to the owners, then....

BTW, a few markets could get away with this (Toronto for sure), as people would NOT ditch their season ticket place if replacements were brought in.

Well many people think so, im skeptical. You would pay regular prices for 2 weeks thinking this will crush the players resolve? Unlikely to work that quick. What if it goes a month? 3 months? Would you still be willing to pay? How much out of your pocket is it worth to you to see this outcome? $1000? $2000?

Would you buy a scab jersey?

SENSible1*

thinkwild said:
Would you buy a scab jersey?

Yup. I'll buy one and put "thinkwild" on the back. ;)

PS Many would cross the line to start. 2 weeks with solid numbers for replacement players and the rest of the PA will come crawling back.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
People support the logo on the front of the jersey not the name on the back.

Everything, and I mean everything, is pointing to replacement players. Many players displaced by erstwhile NHL players in Europe and elsewhere are seething at the opportunity to get a little payback.

If training camp starts next year with replacement players you'll see regulars back by the time they drop the first puck in a pre-season game. They'll leave tread marks on Goodenow's carcass in the stampede. And right at the front of the line will be Chris Chelios.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
likea said:

Or Start up their own NHLPA league !!!!

Wetcoaster

Thunderstruck said:
Yup. I'll buy one and put "thinkwild" on the back. ;)

PS Many would cross the line to start. 2 weeks with solid numbers for replacement players and the rest of the PA will come crawling back.
Where are they going to get the players from?

As understand the IIHF rules on transfer - unless the players come back to the regular NHL under their previous contracts, then they are bound to play in Europe for this season. So that takes 380 possible players out of the equation.

No foreign nationals need apply - the immigration rules bar that.

That leaves a pretty shallow pool of replacement players to stock the US teams and then what happens in Canada? There is no impasse declaration procedure. Replacements are banned in BC and Quebec and it may not be possible to bring the Ontario and Alberta Boards onside in any event even if you could play with replacements.

Do not forget the AHL and ECHL players are members of the PHPA so they would have to leave their union and they would not be getting back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad