Post-Game Talk: Cancel the season

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well. Got a taste of our own medicine I guess.

Not sure where the f*** the PPO's went to lately though. League average is 3.5 per game... Last 5 games we've gotten 3 total.

Yeah, it is a BIT ridiculous how few PPs we've gotten. I would be hard pressed to find 5 games in Oilers history where we only got 3 PPs.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Season probably gets suspended today. I personally cant see them cancelling the season but the next two-four weeks will be telling. I think theres too much money to be lost and history for them to cancel. I suspect we will see some sort of work around.

But things could get really bad over the forseeable future. If the players start to get infected then all bets are off. I dont think North America is in a good position for a breakout. Too many things manufactured outside of our borders and literally no plans in place for anything (I think there tends to be a bit of arrogance especially in the US over things of this nature).

Overall this sucks. I hope everyone on the board is safe in the weeks/months to come.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Season probably gets suspended today. I personally cant see them cancelling the season but the next two-four weeks will be telling. I think theres too much money to be lost and history for them to cancel. I suspect we will see some sort of work around.

But things could get really bad over the forseeable future. If the players start to get infected then all bets are off. I dont think North America is in a good position for a breakout. Too many things manufactured outside of our borders and literally no plans in place for anything (I think there tends to be a bit of arrogance especially in the US over things of this nature).

Overall this sucks. I hope everyone on the board is safe in the weeks/months to come.
Agreed, just utterly sucks. I wonder if the NHL cancels the rest of the Regular season, but suspends the playoffs.

Edit: I'll also say this, I don't even want to imagine how hard this decision is to make, there are a crazy amount of pressures from so many sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
As soon as the announcement came out that the NBA suspended its season i had an odd reaction, i no longer cared about the Oilers game going on, it was more of a meh whatever. The reason i say this is because i knew the regular season is effectively over and if the playoffs happen they will just keep the standings as is seeing as most of the seeding was pretty much decided. The only teams that would be pissed are the ones outside looking in as far as the wild card picture. My second thought was if this goes beyond 2 to 4 weeks then the playoffs get shortened as a best case scenario, worst case the entire season is over. It just felt like i was watching an exhibition game at this point and that the results did not matter. Also factor in that its kind of a scary situation going on in the rest of the world and we are probably next.

Anyone have the same kind of reaction? I wonder if some players had the same kind of attitude after the first period when the NBA pulled the plug.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
They've gone through a tough stretch but have managed to get points. Just like ever other team have crapped the bed for a length of time during the season. Your post is trash.
I actually think it would work very well to the Oilers advantage if the leauge decides to take a break from hockey for a month. The team played better yesterday despite the loss but they just aren't the same as they were earlier. Most guys on the roster aren't used to playing meaningful hockey this late in the season. As a result they are all tired trying to grasp that next gear that will help them punch through.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Drai created a lot of chances today, makes one mistake that led to a goal against and he's "playing like crap" lol
He's making some really bad decisions, at really bad times. Unfortunately it's costing us games. I agree, it's the best game he's played in a while, but I wish he'd get that neutral zone stuff out of his game, and just dump the puck in when he's tired and get off of the ice, instead of trying to make a high risk play at the end of his shift. You can get away with that stuff for so long, but when it burns, it really stings.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Went in to the can after the game to take a leak, and saw something I thought I'd never see. The lineup to wash your hands was 3 times as long as the one to pee. Usually, there are 7 or 8 sinks available, as large numbers just wipe their hands on their pants or not at all, on their way out before high fiving people. If nothing else, perhaps this will serve as a good teaching tool for better and proper hygiene for many people.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Went in to the can after the game to take a leak, and saw something I thought I'd never see. The lineup to wash your hands was 3 times as long as the one to pee. Usually, there are 7 or 8 sinks available, as large numbers just wipe their hands on their pants or not at all, on their way out before high fiving people. If nothing else, perhaps this will serve as a good teaching tool for better and proper hygiene for many people.

Good for you for looking on the bright side. Me i am a glass half empty kind of person and a lot of it is social pressure, some guy that starts walking out of his stall in the bathroom after his 5 minutes of diarrhea noises will be told to go the f*** back to the sink and wash his hands.

Ive seen people cussed out on the LRT this week for not covering their mouths when coughing. People aren't being smarter, they are just scared to be called assholes and dirty dirty humans. As soon as nobody is around they do the same gross things they have been their whole lives.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
As soon as the announcement came out that the NBA suspended its season i had an odd reaction, i no longer cared about the Oilers game going on, it was more of a meh whatever. The reason i say this is because i knew the regular season is effectively over and if the playoffs happen they will just keep the standings as is seeing as most of the seeding was pretty much decided. The only teams that would be pissed are the ones outside looking in as far as the wild card picture. My second thought was if this goes beyond 2 to 4 weeks then the playoffs get shortened as a best case scenario, worst case the entire season is over. It just felt like i was watching an exhibition game at this point and that the results did not matter. Also factor in that its kind of a scary situation going on in the rest of the world and we are probably next.

Anyone have the same kind of reaction? I wonder if some players had the same kind of attitude after the first period when the NBA pulled the plug.
Pretty much my same reaction, I even think the intensity from the players dramatically decreased as well

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pretty much my same reaction, I even think the intensity from the players dramatically decreased as well

I mean both teams played pretty well in period 2/3 ... game was a coin flip, could've gone either way.

But Wheeler was saying he was chatting with Draisaitl to start the 2nd and both were stunned by the NBA decision, the news had spread to the players quickly. They knew what that meant for the NHL.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Now we know why Leon wouldn't get off the ice last game. He knew

lmao at this. heh, it is funny.

But the jets game, 2nd and 3rd periods were increasingly odd. Not the usual level of competitiveness from the Oilers these last couple games, and from Draisaitl. Soon as the NBA decision was made the NHL season was done. It is done barring a miracle at this point. Even if playoffs happened this playoffs would always come with an asterisk. Teams are not together, not allowed to practice or anything during the interim. It would be players coming in cold trying to play intense after missing 6 or more weeks. it would be a mess and probably not a great post season in anycase. As much as it sucks for us sucks even more for some of the favorites. Vegas and Carolina, teams like that also went hard in for this year, this playoffs. We didn't sell the farm or anything, Holland is genius, lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
lmao at this. heh, it is funny.

But the jets game, 2nd and 3rd periods were increasingly odd. Not the usual level of competitiveness from the Oilers these last couple games, and from Draisaitl. Soon as the NBA decision was made the NHL season was done. It is done barring a miracle at this point. Even if playoffs happened this playoffs would always come with an asterisk. Teams are not together, not allowed to practice or anything during the interim. It would be players coming in cold trying to play intense after missing 6 or more weeks. it would be a mess and probably not a great post season in anycase. As much as it sucks for us sucks even more for some of the favorites. Vegas and Carolina, teams like that also went hard in for this year, this playoffs. We didn't sell the farm or anything, Holland is genius, lol
For sure, if there is a cup winner awarded this year, it would be with a huge asterisk. To tell the truth, once we get to that point, I doubt I'll even care much. With summer coming after a long winter and late spring, the last thing I'll feel like doing is sitting inside watching hockey in July.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->