Canadiens strategy/tactics

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Habs fans, I am interested to find out the tactics used by your team last year in terms of forecheck, offense, neutral zone play, defense, powerplay and penalty kill. Just wanted to compile the strategies used by NHL teams the past year.

1)Did you guys send 2 forecheckers, or only one? was it an agressive forecheck?

2)What type of offense did you use? possession? dump and chase? were you a heavy cycle team or more transition?

3) What about the type of defense? collapse and block shots or more man to man ?

4) for PP did you use the now famous umbrella formation or what?

5) and lastly for the PK ? large box passive or high pressure ?

is your defense active in joining the rush are they more neutral or rather conservative?

Thanks a lot....

Rscorpio

Epic Meal Time!
Feb 9, 2004
Santiago, Chile
Simple..

The-Joker-the-joker-30677836-1527-805.jpg

We mess up your head... ask Bruins fans

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
We don't even know. We just watch **** go down.

seriously, this.

regular season, it was dump-and-chase ********, collapse, back off at the blue line, etc.

playoffs, everything changes. I don't even know what the system is in the playoffs, but it is not the same as the regular season, that's for sure.

PricePkPatch*

I feel like Therrien force the players to play a tight but frustrating style all season, one that builds good habits.

When playoff time comes, players are so glad to be given some freedom they explode, and yet keep their good habits.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I feel like Therrien force the players to play a tight but frustrating style all season, one that builds good habits.

When playoff time comes, players are so glad to be given some freedom they explode, and yet keep their good habits.

Someone drew a comparison to the LA Kings a few days ago. We sit back in the regular season and rely on our goalie, because, when he's the best in the world, you can. In the playoffs, the skaters turn it up a notch and go all out.

It sucks that Price got injured last year because I still believe we would have gone to the Cup finals. Let's see what happens this year.

Dec 2, 2010
1- Very aggressive and 2. Support follows 3 seconds after.

2-Dump and ****ing chase.

3-mixture but certain players block shots more

4-they try the umbrella and rotate the point man... it sucks though

5-high pressure/aggressive

6-dmen conservatively join the rush

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
1- Very aggressive and 2. Support follows 3 seconds after.

2-Dump and ****ing chase.

3-mixture but certain players block shots more

4-they try the umbrella and rotate the point man... it sucks though

5-high pressure/aggressive

6-dmen conservatively join the rush

Please don't take this the wrong way but Jeff Petry a week or two ago was talking about how the coaching staff and the system allowed him and encouraged him to join the rush.

I mean I'm no coach so you probably know more than me about hockey X's and O's but it's often I see people say either things about the system that is kinda hard to prove really. Like how Therrien changes the system out of the blue.

Again like people say we play a dumb and chase, but Eller and DD have said this year that the goal is always to carry the puck in but if the D gives you nothing you make the safe play and dumb it to an area where the you have a guy coming in with speed can get it..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad