Canadiens Representative at the 2019 ASG

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
Good morning,

After Carey Price announced he was not attending the 2019 ASG in San Jose the Canadiens were left with no representation. Did I miss something or will the Habs have nobody there?

Thanks!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Nobody will be there.

Shea Weber was part of the Last Man In vote for the Atlantic Division, where fans can vote to add one more player from each division. In the Atlantic, Jeff Skinner of the Sabres won the vote. So Habs officially have nobody at the ASG.

Only way I see a Hab go is if someone from the Atlantic Division forfeits or gets hurt before then. Then the NHL may end up inviting a Hab player (most probably Weber).

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Habs are a flagship NHL franchise...one of the few whose logo is recognized globally.

And the NHL is perfectly fine leaving them out of their all star game showcase.

Shows how *** backwards marketing in the NHL is.

You'd NEVER see an NBA all star game without a Laker

Or n MLB all star game without a Yankee

What a joke

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think they should try to get Claude Julien there....maybe not a player, but a representative at least.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous but the ASG is a joke of an event anyways so it's pretty much a wash.
It is a joke of an event...but it's also the NHL's big showcase.

How you don't even have a single rep from you're most recognizable franchise is why the NHL will always be a niche sport compared to the other major league sports.

Reactions: cphabs

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I can't believe people are upset that we don't have a rep at the ASG. There's a reason players always try to skip the weekend. It's a waste of time and it strips players of the opportunity to get some well deserved rest.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I wonder if in some small part opposing teams in the playoff race aren't going to privately put up a stink that the entire Habs team gets to rest while their best players have to go to the shitshow.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Glad none are going but it is nice seeing Weber in the hardest shot competition. Other than that the ASG is a joke

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I’m sure guys less marquee guys would love to go but I'll bet the veterans are happy for the time off. For guys like Carey, fishing or hunting with the family is probably higher on his priority list.

Reactions: cphabs and ArsHabs

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I can't believe people are upset that we don't have a rep at the ASG. There's a reason players always try to skip the weekend. It's a waste of time and it strips players of the opportunity to get some well deserved rest.

The NHL instituted a policy for there to be a representative from every team. Seems like they made an exception here. I'm not personally upset, but it is curious.

The ASG is nothing other than a third class spectacle and has entertainment value approaching zero.

Reactions: cphabs and Pickles

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Wouldn't hurt to send someone like Drouin who is always well rested since he only puts in an effort every other game, but I'm also OK with not sending anyone. Especially a star player like Weber and Price who could use the rest.

I also don't think the ASG is as taxing as some of you make it out to be...it's a mock game basically, probably less demanding than practice.

Reactions: Lshap and ArsHabs

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I am getting tired of people saying they should scrap the All Star game. It doesn't interest me but it does interest kids across the country. They are fans too and most kids would much rather watch an All Star game and a skills competition over any regular season game or even a playoff game.
It is upsetting to them when their favorite team doesn't have a player at the All Star game.

Reactions: zeeto

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I am getting tired of people saying they should scrap the All Star game. It doesn't interest me but it does interest kids across the country. They are fans too and most kids would much rather watch an All Star game and a skills competition over any regular season game or even a playoff game.
It is upsetting to them when their favorite team doesn't have a player at the All Star game.

facts are this..no one on Montreal is having an allstar type of season....Not Price Not Weber..if both or one of those guy was to go ,that's the biggest joke about the allstar game...It could/should be renamed the NHL "most popular players" game

Reactions: Fixxer

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
This myth that players don't rest when they go to the All-Star game is one of the most f***ing ridiculous things I have ever heard.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I don't care about the ASG, and given the recent circumstances, where we're actually really fighting for a playoff spot (didn't expect that), on a management level I actually am glad none goes.

BUT, given the nature of that 'competition', Weber should have been there since he has one of the top 5 hardest slapshot in the game, and anyway why the hell didn't we at least have another one given a shot ? WTF is that logic ?!

Oh well, whatever, it's not like I was going to watch it anyway.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Nobody will be there.

Shea Weber was part of the Last Man In vote for the Atlantic Division, where fans can vote to add one more player from each division. In the Atlantic, Jeff Skinner of the Sabres won the vote. So Habs officially have nobody at the ASG.

Only way I see a Hab go is if someone from the Atlantic Division forfeits or gets hurt before then. Then the NHL may end up inviting a Hab player (most probably Weber).

Even if somebody dropped out on D, doubt Weber goes. Pretty sure the team wants the vets getting the two weeks off with our bi-week convieniently being right after.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Let’s send Youppi as our sole and special envoy. Youppi can partake in the fastest skater challenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->