Canadiens looking to draft a goaltender

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Juuse Saros 3rd round.

i watched a few of his highlight vids, he looks really good but hes only like 5'9 or 5'10.. dunno how well his game would transition into the nhl. i would be ecstatic if we could get jarry in the 3rd.. dont see that happening tho. we could probably get him with our late 2nd but there still might be a few good players left on the board

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
God I hope not.

Looking at the starting goaltenders in the league right now there are just as many if not more who were taken either in the late rounds or not drafted at all as there are 1st round picks. Picking a goalie with a 1st round pick is bad asset management.
Top Goalies by decreasing TOI:
  1. Niemi - Not drafted;
  2. Lundqvist - 7th round;
  3. Pavelec - 2nd round;
  4. Nabokov - 9th round;
  5. Howard - 2nd round;
  6. Rinne - 8th round;
  7. N Backstrom - Not drafted;
  8. Miller - 5th round;
  9. Bryzgalov - 2nd round;
  10. Price - 1st round;
  11. Bobrovsky - Not drafted;
  12. Quick - 3rd round;
  13. Rask - 1st round;
  14. Dubnik - 1st round;
  15. Holtby - 4th round;
  16. Lehtonnen - 1st round;
  17. Smith - 5th round;
  18. Varlamov - 1st round;
  19. Fleury - 1st round;
  20. Reimer - 4th round;
  21. Crawford - 2nd round;
  22. Brodeur - 1st round;
  23. Schneider - 1st round.

Most have been drafted but some very good are undrafted.
Also some very good have been drafted later.

Out of 30, 9 were drafted in first round, 4 were drafted in second round, one in third round and 2 in fourth round.

So you are right.
On one hand, only one of top-10 TOI is a first round (Price who is 10th).
But on the other hand, only one of the young and rising goalies was not drafted (Bobs).

Maybe teams are getting better at drafting and developing goalies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah we need to restock the prospect pool, but just hoping not with the 1st 3 picks anyway, prefer with one of our 3rd rounders, just sexier to take forwards or D with those picks.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Again for those interested.

1. Zach Fucale
2. Tristan Jarry
3. Eric Comrie
4. Phillippe Desroisiers
5. Marcus Hogberg
6. Calvin Petersen
7. Antoine Bibeau
8. Patrik Bartosak
9. Fredrik Bergvik
10. Eamon McAdam

Hoping for Jarry.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Saros isn't in my list for a reason. He will get eaten alive in the NHL due to his size and style. With goalie equipment possibly being reduced? He's just exposed that much more net.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Saros isn't in my list for a reason. He will get eaten alive in the NHL due to his size and style. With goalie equipment possibly being reduced? He's just exposed that much more net.

Same here. Take him only if he's a faller big time due to his size. Hey, we might end up with 2 goalies after all...I mean our NEW OLD 4th rounder might be fine for him. As he'll surely won't be there in 6th.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Same here. Take him only if he's a faller big time due to his size. Hey, we might end up with 2 goalies after all...I mean our NEW OLD 4th rounder might be fine for him. As he'll surely won't be there in 6th.

I can see him falling a lot further than people think due to the problems I listed.

Being small at any position will make you drop
Being big at any position leads to you being reached for.

I'm waiting for Boston to move Seguin to Edmonton for the 7th overall and Mitch Moroz :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If the Habs are looking for a goalie, Jake Hildebrand (Michigan St) might be worth a look in the 7th round. He's undersized but I liked what I saw from him and as a Freshman he ended up stealing the starting job away from Will Yanakeff who I also was impressed with the previous year.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec

Well expect him to grow a bit more. I like his athleticism and poise. I'll take him with our own 3rd round selection (86th).

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We need a goalie in a big way. We have nothing left in the tank behind Price really. Tokarski is interesting but he's pretty small after seeing Price in there. :laugh:

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
rofl people with Fish Memory here ..

Jonas Sarros frame could get bigger.

People saying Sarros could get lit up in the NHL due to his size has not seen Halak in net ... he's so small compared to other goalies in the league .. still he's a good keeper ..

Halak is 6' 180lbs ..

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Only if the goaly they want is still there. They were supposed to draft one as well last year, but since Malcolm Subban was gone (and possibily the next ones in their small list), they just drafted Forwards and D's.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We need a goalie in a big way. We have nothing left in the tank behind Price really. Tokarski is interesting but he's pretty small after seeing Price in there. :laugh:

We don't need a goalie in a big way.

Who cares if we don't have x number of goaltending prospects to fill out our HF prospect portfolio. We have a franchise goaltender on a long term contract. Only one goaltender is needed in a game which leaves the backup playing in a maximum of 25% of the games.

The goaltending market is a buyers market and is the easiest and cheapest hole to fill. Even if they develop well they have relatively little value to top skater prospects when you try and flip them for another asset..

It would be stupid to waste any of our early picks on a goaltender with so much depth in this draft of players who have a combination of size and skill. Drafting goaltenders is the biggest crapshoot for a scout so why gamble on one when there are still skaters on the board that you really like?

If Timmins is going to pick a goaltender I would prefer it to be a late round flyer on an under scouted European goaltender who may have flown under the radar, as is often the case.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
We don't need a goalie in a big way.

Who cares if we don't have x number of goaltending prospects to fill out our HF prospect portfolio. We have a franchise goaltender on a long term contract. Only one goaltender is needed in a game which leaves the backup playing in a maximum of 25% of the games.

The goaltending market is a buyers market and is the easiest and cheapest hole to fill. Even if they develop well they have relatively little value to top skater prospects when you try and flip them for another asset..

It would be stupid to waste any of our early picks on a goaltender with so much depth in this draft of players who have a combination of size and skill. Drafting goaltenders is the biggest crapshoot for a scout so why gamble on one when there are still skaters on the board that you really like?

If Timmins is going to pick a goaltender I would prefer it to be a late round flyer on an under scouted European goaltender who may have flown under the radar, as is often the case.

The Habs need immediate help and long term help at the goaltending position. This draft has to take care of the latter. The former will continue to be Bergevins nightmare for some time.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The Habs need immediate help and long term help at the goaltending position. This draft has to take care of the latter. The former will continue to be Bergevins nightmare for some time.

This is a terribly weak draft for goaltenders so it is unlikely that this draft would produce a long term solution at the position.

As for the short term.......I would say that referring to Price as a nightmare might be considered a bit of a stretch.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
rofl people with Fish Memory here ..

Jonas Sarros frame could get bigger.

People saying Sarros could get lit up in the NHL due to his size has not seen Halak in net ... he's so small compared to other goalies in the league .. still he's a good keeper ..

Halak is 6' 180lbs ..

All you need to understand is the puck's eye perspective. A smaller goalie has to come out a few extra inches to cover the same amount of net as a bigger goalie, with the style of play-off hockey, the goalie gets pushed deep into his net and forced into goal mouth scrambles. A smaller goalie has to have D that can stop passes down-low because they'll be exploited by their NEEDED aggressiveness in the crease.

It's a recipe for a disaster, especially if goalie pads shrink, to put your eggs in a small goalies basket. Especially with the increase in shot blocking (D man screens) and offensive layered screens, a bigger goalie can make the positional save, a small reflex goalie HAS to maintain eye contact with the puck or he will be blown out.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
All you need to understand is the puck's eye perspective. A smaller goalie has to come out a few extra inches to cover the same amount of net as a bigger goalie, with the style of play-off hockey, the goalie gets pushed deep into his net and forced into goal mouth scrambles. A smaller goalie has to have D that can stop passes down-low because they'll be exploited by their NEEDED aggressiveness in the crease.

It's a recipe for a disaster, especially if goalie pads shrink, to put your eggs in a small goalies basket. Especially with the increase in shot blocking (D man screens) and offensive layered screens, a bigger goalie can make the positional save, a small reflex goalie HAS to maintain eye contact with the puck or he will be blown out.

I seriously think you have to look other than size thing. I understand the puck-eye perspective. But still, if we manage to get a talented goalie, with quick reflexes and good positioning, size can only be a little factor.

Not all the goalies in the NHL are huge. theres little sample of Price, Luongo, Schneider, Crawford etc etc

Quick is 6'1 210, Howard is 6'0 210. Saros can easily put a inch or two and 20 pounds. he's very young and raw. I would easily take a 3rd round pick to select him even with the suposed size factor. he's not a midget

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
This is a terribly weak draft for goaltenders so it is unlikely that this draft would produce a long term solution at the position.

As for the short term.......I would say that referring to Price as a nightmare might be considered a bit of a stretch.

The nightmare is having a 6.5 m salary for a guy who is not performing near that level. Does not bode well for a GM who is paid to address the situation. Options out of the situation are limited.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
On 98,5 yesterday with Martin McGuire, he said that the Habs were aiming for a goalie last year but he went earlier in the same round that the Habs intented to take him. So just for the fun of it...it had to either be in the 2nd or 3rd round. Korpisalo was taken in the 3rd round just 2 picks before Bozon. And Dansk was chosen ahead of Collberg. Or Stolarz who was picked before Thrower.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

He is the rub....if Bergevin truly is going to build this team thru draft AND WAIT for these players to develop,then Price wont last.......he is already feelin like a hobbit in a hole,again next year Habs fail to make a jump,then you got damaged goods...Loungo has proven trouble to move in Van City.

Habs need to deal now,while it still a good return to be had.......otherwise in 82 games or less,you could be talking buyout,or a 5 rd pick in return...
Price came here way young,and it finally got to him.....the 6.5 million doesn't help lower the pressure.
His comments of hiding in his house ,shouldn't be discounted ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad