TSN: Canadiens leaning a lot, maybe too much, on Price

Nynja*

Maybe not but you have to at least look at the quality of them shots. Preds had 37 shots I think? That does not = to 37 grade A scoring chances. That means the defense is doing something right. Its not all bad. Its not like them games where we were horrible and giving odd man rushes on price all night long and loosing 6 to 1.

And how many of montreals 4 shots were grade A scoring chances?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe not but you have to at least look at the quality of them shots. Preds had 37 shots I think? That does not = to 37 grade A scoring chances. That means the defense is doing something right. Its not all bad. Its not like them games where we were horrible and giving odd man rushes on price all night long and loosing 6 to 1.

Many of the shots were in prime scoring positions. Their were multiple odd man rushes. Price bailed the team out full stop, as he has done all year. Watch the games, look at the stats, they both show that the Habs are a pretty bad defensive team.

And the whole point is that even if the Habs limited scoring chances (they don't), they get to few scoring chances at the other end.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, the quality of our four shots was much better than the quality of their 26. That must've been the difference.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
we've had the benefit of our best players being our best players… and staying healthy.

If any of Subban/Patches/Price/Galch went down for a significant stretch, i suspect we'd have a very difficult time to adapt because our success relies way too heavily on their impact.

MT is not getting enough out of our very solid 2nd tier players. Emelin, Eller, Sekac, Parenteau in particular are not contributing the way we need to. Up to MB to decide wether its the personnel, the timing, or the coach, but something needs to improve…

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
As any team should honestly.

A good team is built from the net out. I don't see this as much of a problem other then we need better D-men on the backend but that is a given.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If Price is masking the Habs' huge problems then why aren't these problems revealed when Tokarski plays? Or do we have another world class goalie in Tokarski?

I know what many of you will say.

Tokarski doesn't play against good teams. Which is a lie. In the last 5 games he played against the Islanders and the Rangers. Two of the five last teams were good teams. Yet His SV% & GAA is similar to Price's record. The biggest difference between him & Price is Price brings his A game 99 out of 100 nights. We don't know if Tokarski can do that. Strike that. We know Tokarski can't do that. there are probably only one or two other goalies that can.

Another point. Personally, right now I wouldn't take any other goalie over Price but I can see how some would say that's a homer's point of view so i say he's top three but people sometimes go out of their minds when they talk about Price. Take last night's game against the Preds. He played well but he didn't play great like a lot of people are claiming. Yes half way through the second the shots were something like 26 to 6 but how many of those 26 shots were good scoring chances?I can think of 3 or 4 at most. And the Preds scored on one of them.

Price in his after game interview said the shots were cosmetic. He said most of them were harmless.

So, Price is our MVP and he's the biggest reason we are where we are in the standings but he's not the only reason. This is a good team. Without Price we would be 2-3 spots lower in the East but take Stamkos off of Tampa Bay, or Towes off of Chicago or Rinnie off of Nashville and they would drop just as much.

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal
the team is not good enough, we don't have datsyuk, crosby, malkin, zetterberg, tavares, stamkos, etc... we don't have enough talent up front.

it is that simple.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If Price is masking the Habs' huge problems then why aren't these problems revealed when Tokarski plays? Or do we have another world class goalie in Tokarski?

I know what many of you will say.

Tokarski doesn't play against good teams. Which is a lie.
Try smelling what you're shovelling.

Islanders
Ottawa
Florida
Buffalo
Rangers
Wings
Buffalo
Edmonton
Washington

Yeah, murderers row.
In the last 5 games he played against the Islanders and the Rangers.
Only because we had to play him. And he had a save percentage below .900 in both games.
Two of the five last teams were good teams. Yet His SV% & GAA is similar to Price's record.
?????????????????????

Tokarski
5-3-1 against mostly lesser teams
.917 Sv Pctg.
2.50 GAA

Price
24-10-2

Yeah, it's real close. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Nynja*

Tolarski has a GAA of 4 in his games against the sens and isles (who were playing a b2b w travel)

But yeah, keep saying how "there are no flaws and price is just good, not elite"

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
the team is not good enough, we don't have datsyuk, crosby, malkin, zetterberg, tavares, stamkos, etc... we don't have enough talent up front.
Hmm. At 5-on-5 this year:

Detroit:
Tatar 13-6-19
Zetterberg 6-12-18
Total 19-18-37

Pitt:
Crosby 8-18-26
Malkin 9-18-27
Total 17-36-53

NYI:
Strome 7-20-27
Okposo 10-18-28
Total 17-38-55

Us:
Pacioretty 15-11-26
Gallagher 11-10-21
Total 26-21-47

So our top two point-producers have better totals than Detroit's, and more goals than either Pittsburgh's or the Islanders'.

Try again.

But yeah, Tampa Bay whoops our ass:

Johnson 11-23-34
Kucherov 14-17-31
Palat 6-21-27
Stamkos 17-9-26

Four of the league's top 20 scorers at even strength this season. No wonder they've lit us up for 11 goals in our two games.

Nynja*

I still cant wrap my head around how some people are justifying any positives in being outshot 25-4 at one point.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Try smelling what you're shovelling.

Islanders
Ottawa
Florida
Buffalo
Rangers
Wings
Buffalo
Edmonton
Washington

Maybe you should have a whiff of your own smell.

As of Jan 21:

Islanders 2nd in their Conference
Rangers 6th
Wings 3rd
Washington 7th

Edmonton 14th
Buffalo 16th
Ottawa 11th
Florida 9th
Buffalo 16th

Of the nine teams he faced 4 are in a playoff position. Two are ahead of the Habs in the standings. Yeah, they're real powder puffs.

The claim is that if not for Price the Habs are nothing, well why doesn't it show when Tokarski is in nets. If the Habs are such a lousy team his record should be terrible. He has played 4 of 9 games against playoff teams.

I'm not saying that Tokarski is as good as Price (because i know if I don't clarify that point you'll twist my words) but if Price is the only difference between winning and losing why doesn't it show up when Tokarski is in nets?

Because as I said in the other post, Price contributes maybe 2 positions in the standings. Which is what Rinnie is worth to the preds, Quick to the Kings, Towes to Hawks, Stamkos to the Lightning.

Another point in line with this. When Budaj was here his numbers were similar to Price yet now he can't break into the Jets team. He isn't even a NHL goalie. Why wasn't he exposed when he was in nets for the Habs? Apparently without Price therrien and the Habs are not even capable of picking their noses.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Maybe you should have a whiff of your own smell.

As of Jan 21:

Islanders 2nd in their Conference
Rangers 6th
Wings 3rd
Washington 7th

Edmonton 14th
Buffalo 16th
Ottawa 11th
Florida 9th
Buffalo 16th

Of the nine teams he faced 4 are in a playoff position. Two are ahead of the Habs in the standings. Yeah, they're real powder puffs.
Just stop digging the hole man, you're in deep enough.
The claim is that if not for Price the Habs are nothing, well why doesn't it show when Tokarski is in nets. If the Habs are such a lousy team his record should be terrible. He has played 4 of 9 games against playoff teams.
:laugh:
I'm not saying that Tokarski is as good as Price (because i know if I don't clarify that point you'll twist my words) but if Price is the only difference between winning and losing why doesn't it show up when Tokarski is in nets?

Because as I said in the other post, Price contributes maybe 2 positions in the standings. Which is what Rinnie is worth to the preds, Quick to the Kings, Towes to Hawks, Stamkos to the Lightning.

Another point in line with this. When Budaj was here his numbers were similar to Price yet now he can't break into the Jets team. He isn't even a NHL goalie. Why wasn't he exposed when he was in nets for the Habs? Apparently without Price therrien and the Habs are not even capable of picking their noses.
And as has been shown many times that changed as soon as we stopped sheltering him. He got crushed.

I don't think you understand goalie stats man. Above you claim that Tokarski has similar stats to Price? On what ****ing planet is that true? Now you're saying Budaj's stats were similar to Price's? Are you drinking the crazy juice?

Budaj's stats last year:

10-8-3

How the **** is that in any way similar to Price?

Stop embarrassing yourself.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Its therriens rallying speech in the second intermission.

Greatest motivational speaker all time

Of all time! *Drops mic*

How 'bout a strong strategy coming into the game though? That'd be cool ^_^.

The fact we're always starting like crap is very, VERY concerning. We're going full Rocky Balboa here.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Tolarski has a GAA of 4 in his games against the sens and isles (who were playing a b2b w travel)

But yeah, keep saying how "there are no flaws and price is just good, not elite"

No one says that, lol some of you guys pretend like people say these things to support points that don't need supporting.

So the team leans heavily on it's star keeper, yet the TSN article only shows teams that are generally very high scoring. It's no surprise Montreal doesn't score as many goals to support Price seeing as we don't have Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Malkin etc. who are relied upon very heavily.

Why don't they make an article explaining how heavily Pittsburgh relies on Malkin and Crosby? How about removing Kane or Toews from the Hawks lineup and seeing how well they would do in comparison? Tavares?

Since Price is the goalie perhaps its easier to point out with Corswick crap that the team relies upon him.

The article is just such a classic take on what Jack Todd mentioned a few weeks ago, that people almost assume Price is this Other who isn't a Montreal Canadien, that isn't part of the team he's just someone that helps them win. It removes any credit from the organization.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No one says that, lol some of you guys pretend like people say these things to support points that don't need supporting.

So the team leans heavily on it's star keeper, yet the TSN article only shows teams that are generally very high scoring. It's no surprise Montreal doesn't score as many goals to support Price seeing as we don't have Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Malkin etc. who are relied upon very heavily.

Why don't they make an article explaining how heavily Pittsburgh relies on Malkin and Crosby? How about removing Kane or Toews from the Hawks lineup and seeing how well they would do in comparison? Tavares?
Talent comes into play for sure. But it's not like this team doesn't have any. And it's not like this team isn't capable of having positive possession numbers. We've had inferior teams play better than this one is now.

And goaltending has nothing to do with possession numbers. You can't measure MT by how good his goalie is. You have to look at how the team is playing apart from goaltending to know if you're getting the best out of your lineup.

Same as if say... we had a bad goalie but were playing well. In that case we'd say -nothing's broken so don't fix it. Just get a goalie and all is good.
Since Price is the goalie perhaps its easier to point out with Corswick crap that the team relies upon him.
There's no point in including him when we look at how the team is performing anyway. If you want to know how your team is doing factor out the goaltending, then you get an idea of how the team is doing.
The article is just such a classic take on what Jack Todd mentioned a few weeks ago, that people almost assume Price is this Other who isn't a Montreal Canadien, that isn't part of the team he's just someone that helps them win. It removes any credit from the organization.
Jack Todd's name should never be spoken of.

As for removing the goalie... that's only to be done when looking at where to fix the team's overall play. If you're going to compare our chances in the playoffs vs any of those other teams then of course you factor goaltending back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->