TSN: Canadiens leaning a lot, maybe too much, on Price

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why do you do that in a thread with a graph clearly showing you the opposite?

Stamkos? What about Johnson, Kucherov, Callahan, Palat and Filppula?
How much do you rely on one 40+ points player (Stamkos) when you have 3 of them? (Johnson, Kucherov, Stamkos) and 3 more 30+ points players (Callahan, Palat, Fulppula)? That seems kinda balanced to me...

Why about them? If you take Bishop and Stamkos from Tampa do you really think they'd be we're they are now? Not a chance. On top of that Stamkos isn't a 40 point player. He's a 40+ GOAL player. Big difference as there's only 2 or 3 of them in the league in any given season.

I used Bishop because if he was in the lineup against the Habs, I'm not sure we take that series. On top of that Tampa isn't the same team without Bishop, I don't care what that chart shows. The eye test chart tells me otherwise as they play with a lot more offesne when he's in net because they have confidence in him just as montreal does in front of Price.

Are teams dependent on their superstars? Absolutely. But the underlying story here is that our outlying numbers aren't pretty and we are winning because of Price. The fact we are producing wins and points at the pace of these other teams with such bad advanced stats is a testament to how good Price is.

It's hard to measure the performance of a goaltender vs that of a skater, but if you compare Rinne and Price's shot faced graphs you see Price has been getting a lot more shots in the slot.

I think Carey is the most heavily leaned upon player in the league to carry his team.

I'm not debating that Price is integral to the Canadiens success. Im saying that the amount of spot light on Price "carrying" the Habs is over the top compared to how other teams rely on their superstars. Look at what happened to Philly or Edmonton when they lost Pronger or NJ when they lost Niedermeyer. Teams will always lean on the players they can rely on and the more they have the better a team they are. Chicago is a perfect example with having 4 or 5 guys who are All Stars. Take the 1 or 2 stars from any team and they will faulter over the long run irregardless of the team. Montreal is no different than any other team when it comes to their reliance on their star players. Besides, it's not like they've fallen apart when Tokarski has played. Goaltending is a key positiion and we have one of the best in the world. Take out the other top goaltenders from their teams and they'd not be as good either. Last year when Price had slightly worse numbers this would have been a non issue. Surprised they didn't bring up Patches who's having the best year of his career.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
So our best player is being our best player? Okie dokie

Pretty much.

Also, Subban was our best player 2 years ago.

Last year it was pretty much a tie between Price and Subban IMO.

And this season, Price has been our best player fairly easily.

I felt the need to point this out because you say our best player is our best player. Right now Price is our best player this season, but overall I wouldn't say Price is without doubt our best player. Not just because he's had a great first half.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Price is a member of the team. Do you see arguments weekly about how the Bolts lean too much on Stamkos. TSN can pack their socks and ****.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Obviously we are leaning on him too much. However, it just simply means he's evolved before the rest of the team into a cup quality player. So it will take awhile to get the rest of the team to mature or make roster moves to compliment him.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Good goaltending can mask a lot of problem... including this **** system that this team employs. Can't believe there are people who still blindly support Therrien because of "the record". Unbelievable.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I find it interesting that Nashville isn't listed there... why not ?

Because then they would have to show that Nashville is leaning on Rinne, NY on Lundqvist and that would go against the made up premise of their article.
Yeah... You want to rethink that one after watching this tire fire of a game? Nashville could have a practice dummy in net against us tonight and we still can't score. This is a glaring example of the difference between a genuinely good team, and one that's faking it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah... You want to rethink that one after watching this tire fire of a game? Nashville could have a practice dummy in net against us tonight and we still can't score. This is a glaring example of the difference between a genuinely good team, and one that's faking it.
Nah, the system is clearly making his job easier. Don't know how you can't see it.

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
Good goaltending can mask a lot of problem... including this **** system that this team employs. Can't believe there are people who still blindly support Therrien because of "the record". Unbelievable.

pretty much sums it up. I can't take this perimeter play any longer. And one game of lighting up the score sheet once in a while does nothing for me.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Price is a member of the team. Do you see arguments weekly about how the Bolts lean too much on Stamkos. TSN can pack their socks and ****.

Stamkos isn't even the Lightning's top scoring center this season. They don't rely on him. Or any one player for that matter.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Leaning on your goalie is different than leaning on a superstar forward, well at least it suggests different things.

Goalies can mask a lot of problems that have to do with system breakdowns.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Just like Nashville relies on Rinne, Pittsburg on Crosby and Malkin, LA on Kopitar, Boston on Rask, Tampsa on Bishop or Stamkos, NY on Lundquist, Isles on Tavares etc etc etc.

I hate when they act like Price isn't a regular player on this team. He's just as important as any other star player is to their team.

Sure, but imagine how good Habs would be if they played well in front of Price.
To win a cup you need everyone to bring it, not one guy.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

They got to the ECF last year and have been consistantly one of the better teams in the East even when he wasn't at the top of his game. Even last year, we were just hanging around a playoff spot until we got Vanek. In the playoffs PK was integral in a couple of the series we won, mainly against Boston when he went into beast mode.

So yes we rely on Price but we've done well and gotten far with the help of guys in front of him too.

It's easy to put the focus on a goalie because there's only one of them but it's the contribution of the guys in front that allow Price to be Price. He'll be the first to tell you that.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Obviously we are leaning on him too much. However, it just simply means he's evolved before the rest of the team into a cup quality player. So it will take awhile to get the rest of the team to mature or make roster moves to compliment him.

:handclap:

Daniels45

May 8, 2013

Something I don't understand here. I've seen the team play terribly in front of price before and that usually means we loose by at least 5 goals. We kept the preds to just one goal tonight. Do you actually think that's all only on Price?

Nynja*

At the end of the second we were outshot at a 3:1 ratio. At one point in the second, it was a 6:1 ratio.

Thats a recipe for success?

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
At the end of the second we were outshot at a 3:1 ratio. At one point in the second, it was a 6:1 ratio.

Thats a recipe for success?

Maybe not but you have to at least look at the quality of them shots. Preds had 37 shots I think? That does not = to 37 grade A scoring chances. That means the defense is doing something right. Its not all bad. Its not like them games where we were horrible and giving odd man rushes on price all night long and loosing 6 to 1.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe not but you have to at least look at the quality of them shots. Preds had 37 shots I think? That does not = to 37 grade A scoring chances. That means the defense is doing something right. Its not all bad. Its not like them games where we were horrible and giving odd man rushes on price all night long and loosing 6 to 1.

Plenty of graphs have been posted in the Terrien and Advanced Stats thread that show Price faces on average 10% more shots from slot then the league average.

In fact the article in this thread specifically looked at adjusted sv% in order to factor in whether the goalies benefited from shots from the outside or high quality chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad