Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hnic-mtl-tor-desktop.jpg

Saturday game preview: Montreal Canadiens at Toronto Maple Leafs

Saturday game preview: Montreal Canadiens at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

price.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Carey Price recently moved past Jacques Planted for the most games played by a Canadiens goalie. (Graham Hughes / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Fri., April 6, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: CBC
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Price vs. Matthews
Carey Price recently eclipsed the legendary Jacques Plante for most games played by a Canadiens goalie, a rare memorable moment in a season of lows in Montreal. Auston Matthews is on a season-ending, eight-game points streak (five goals, six assists).
NEED TO KNOW
Ex-Leaf Kerby Rychel, sent to the Canadiens with defenceman Rinat Valiev in the trade for Tomas Plekanec, has one goal in three games with Montreal. Valiev is in the minors ... Canadiens forward Brendan Gallagher has nine points (five goals, four assists) in the past eight games. ... The Leafs are 3-0-0 against Montreal this season, with a rare chance to sweep their historic rivals ... Montreal’s power play is a respectable 13th in the league, with a 21.2 per cent success rate. It’s led by Alex Galchenyuk, who has nine goals with the man advantage. The penalty kill (74.4 per cent) is 30th overall ... Heading into the weekend, the Canadiens have the fourth-best odds, 9.5 per cent, of drafting first overall.
UP NEXT
The playoffs.

Maple Leafs gear up for postseason by hosting Canadiens

Maple Leafs gear up for postseason by hosting Canadiens

Montreal Canadiens

29-39-13
7:00 PM ET
Air Canada Centre, Toronto

Toronto Maple Leafs

48-26-7
TORONTO -- The Toronto Maple Leafs will be anticipating the playoffs and the Montreal Canadiens will only be able to look forward to next season when the teams meet in their final game of the regular season on Saturday night.
The Maple Leafs looked like a team that was more interested in looking ahead to the playoffs than the remainder of the regular season Thursday when they lost to the Devils 2-1 in New Jersey.
"I thought this was fair," Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after the game Thursday. "I thought the team that worked the hardest won. I thought they were more desperate early. We weren't good enough defensively. We didn't compete hard enough. I thought we competed hard as the game went on.
"We had our chances but, in the end, we couldn't overcome it. The bottom line is we've got one more game. This is our last chance to get ready but we're going to have to get to another level than we were tonight for sure."
The Canadiens, meanwhile, looked like a team that is making the most of what is left of the season when they defeated the Red Wings 4-3 in Detroit on Thursday.
"I'm not used to losing. I don't like to lose," Canadiens coach Claude Julien said. "But at the same time, I have to be objective and look at the situation and there were some challenges along the way that we didn't expect, a number of injuries, and players having to move up in the lineup in areas they weren't quite ready for."
The Maple Leafs (48-26-7) do have something to play for Saturday at the Air Canada Centre. The loss to the Devils kept them at 103 points, which equals a franchise best for a season. So, they still have a chance to set a franchise record for total points in a season.
"Two different situations but we're all competitive people and we're all very prideful," Toronto center Nazem Kadri said. "That's what got us here in the first place, so I don't think we take any games off. Obviously, we didn't start (Thursday) the way we wanted to, but I felt that we made a push."
Goaltender Frederik Andersen will be trying for a club record 38th win in a season by a Toronto netminder on Saturday.
Still, the playoffs will be on the minds of the Maple Leafs.
"You're focusing on these games to get ready for the playoffs," said Toronto center William Nylander, who scored the goal Thursday. "So, whatever we're doing now is trying to get prepared for the playoffs."
Nylander became the sixth Maple Leafs player to reach 20 goals this season.
The Canadiens (29-39-13) have been dealing with injuries all season, including season-ending ones to their top defenseman Shea Weber (foot surgery) and their captain Max Pacioretty (knee).
"It's unbelievable the number of injuries and the types of injuries," Julien said. "When we started the season, we felt we had enough veterans and enough experience to bring in some young guys and still battle through and get ourselves in the playoffs. But there's a lot of things that have happened and concussions are one of those issues that we've had more than we'd like."
The Canadiens have had five players with concussions listed on the injury report this season.

Reactions: TMLeafer

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
anyone else not really mind if we lose?
habs could drop from the 4th best odds to the 6th best.
also leafs would be at worst the 25th pick if they don't make the conference finals, but could jump up to 4 more spots

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No injuries.

Marner get 70 points.

Andy gets the win record.

Leafs set a new franchise mark for points in a season.

That'd be a perfect wrap up for the regular season.

does that 70pt mark get Marner an extra 500k a season or so?

If he finishes with 69pts, the leafs can use pastrnak (6.66mil, 70pts) as a comparable
If he gets 71 or 72, with the rising cap, he could argue for 7+

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
does that 70pt mark get Marner an extra 500k a season or so?

If he finishes with 69pts, the leafs can use pastrnak (6.66mil, 70pts) as a comparable
If he gets 71 or 72, with the rising cap, he could argue for 7+

Pasternak may not be a comparable. Marner will get more money and term.

Marners first two seasons: 60 and potentially 70 points. Pastrnak entered the league right away but only had like 50 points total in his first two seasons.

He also plays with Marchand and Bergeron. Marner will likely get more than Pastrnak and less than Draisaitl. So around 7.5 ish for 8 years.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
also leafs would be at worst the 25th pick if they don't make the conference finals, but could jump up to 4 more spots
I don't really care if we win or lose.

I really don't care about the draft. The draft is the last thing on my mind.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Want a good solid win to sweep the season. As much as I’d love a 7 or 8 goal blowout it wouldn’t serve much benefit. Embarrassing them also could rile them up and lead to stupid hits, let em snooze and win 3-1 or something similar.

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
FK Komarov is playing

This coach is soo stubborn. ffs

and this guy during his post game interview is like: "we watch, the players do the talking. We don't make any decisions, the players make it for us"

hypocrite sometimes

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I mind. Our greatest historic rival? We can set a franchise point record against them, and a season sweep of four games. Too delicious to squander.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
AJ played so well against Buffalo on Monday.. Frustrating to see him not get back in.

Perhaps Babs' is giving Leo once last chance to show him why he should be in the playoff line up game 1 .. Give the veteran a longer leash to prove himself or something silly like that.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If it was up to me, I would sit as many regulars as possible tonight. The milestones are nice, but not worth risking any injuries to key players. Besides, we can still win with a B lineup.

Doesn't matter, because it looks like it's all hands on deck. Fingers crossed we finish the game with our lineup intact.

Reactions: Brown Dog

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm fine with the regulars playing for the most part, provided they're healthy.

The Leafs aren't projected to start their series until Thursday, right? That's a long period of time between games. Gotta keep them sharp.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm fine with the regulars playing for the most part, provided they're healthy.

The Leafs aren't projected to start their series until Thursday, right? That's a long period of time between games. Gotta keep them sharp.

Thursday-Saturday will be 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->