Canadiens hire Eric Crawford as pro scout, Dave Starman as NCAA scout

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Canucks fan here.

Crawford is widely believed to be responsible for our 2013 draft which was the best Canucks draft in ages. He's hired as pro scout for you now but he's a great mind. Never mind the fact that he was fired.

Benning fired him, Henning and Gilman, and replaced them with Delorme and Weisbrod. Delorme has been the canucks head scout for like 20 years (and our abysmal scouting record is well known) and Weisbrod has a storied past too. Most recently behind the flames picking Jankowski in the 1st round or offer sheeting ROR.

You guys are in a rich get richer situation.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No idea how we can judge these guys work. At one point, you can be the best scout, if your head scout don't feel like going for your pick....it doesn't make you less good.

Like somebody said, 2 extra pair of eyes and that's great. We will determine their work with what they'll do for us.....if we ever know through a Timmins interview the kind of input those guys had in our décisions.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
No cap on the staff is the way that rich teams can take advantage. Toronto is pushing that to the extreme, but we're doing it more intelligently. Toronto is a gong show.

One thing I like about this is that if Timmins ever gets a GM job somewhere, we have tons of people who can step in and take his place.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Crawford was the guy that is responsible for the Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban draft.

He was also responsible for bringing in Ronalds Kenins.

He is a good scout and the only reason he was fired is because he apparently disagreed with Benning. Benning wanted a room where with only yes-men and Crawford was part of the management that wasn't having any of it.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Crawford was the guy that is responsible for the Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban draft.

He is a good scout and the only reason he was fired is because he apparently disagreed with Benning. Benning wanted a room where with only yes-men and Crawford was part of the management that wasn't having any of it.

Canucks fan here.

Crawford is widely believed to be responsible for our 2013 draft which was the best Canucks draft in ages. He's hired as pro scout for you now but he's a great mind. Never mind the fact that he was fired.

Benning fired him, Henning and Gilman, and replaced them with Delorme and Weisbrod. Delorme has been the canucks head scout for like 20 years (and our abysmal scouting record is well known) and Weisbrod has a storied past too. Most recently behind the flames picking Jankowski in the 1st round or offer sheeting ROR.

You guys are in a rich get richer situation.

Thanks a lot for your input guys. It's really nice to hear about this guy from people who know about Canucks personnel. Encouraging to hear that he seemed to be one of the more smart guys in the organization. I wish you well under Benning, though I'm not so sure you seem very happy about his tenure thus far...

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

My understanding is that his brother Marc noticed Kenins and passed it on to Eric. Marc coaches the Zurich Lions (the team Matthews is going to) and Montreal is effectively getting an additional set of eyes in Europe.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Should be noted that Ethan Moreau is no longer listed on the Canadiens Hockey Operations page.

Thanks for that observation. Ethan Moreau has been a pro scout for the Habs for three seasons, starting in 2012-2013. It's possible that Eric Crawford is replacing him. Sounds like a huge upgrade to me, just by looking at job experience and fan feedback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad