Confirmed with Link: Canadiens agree to terms with Rinat Valiev (one year - two way)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Was there ever a beginning?

Schlemko, no.

Benn at least when he came on board in 2017 before the TDL, he brought something to the team. He helped stabilize the third pair. He and Beaulieu looked good together as 5th & 6th defensemen. From the playoffs and into this season, he was bad.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Schlemko, no.

Benn at least when he came on board in 2017 before the TDL, he brought something to the team. He helped stabilize the third pair. He and Beaulieu looked good together as 5th & 6th defensemen. From the playoffs and into this season, he was bad.
I used to get a chuckle from posters that said that Benn turned back into a pumpkin.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Horrible defensemen. When your top 6 has Alzner, Benn and Schlemko you will be a top 5 draft picking team

Sounds fantastic maybe we'll be able to get one of the three or four no.1 centers available in next year's draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Horrible defensemen. When your top 6 has Alzner, Benn and Schlemko you will be a top 5 draft picking team

Honestly, Only one of these guys will be in our top 6 (likely last Pair), another one will be a depth defenseman, and the other one gone.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I've watched him for a bit. Best case is he's a decent bottom pairing dman.

Worst case is he flames out, but is meh AHL filler. Not a game changer, but is likely just a younger version of Benn etc.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Honestly, Only one of these guys will be in our top 6 (likely last Pair), another one will be a depth defenseman, and the other one gone.

Gone how? Who will take these guys? Is Bergevin going to trade with himself?

To unload these kinds of players, you need a sucker. Bergevin is the league's sucker; many GMs can count on him to be take the crap they don't want anymore. Essentially, that's his role in today's NHL, and that's the role our team plays as well.

We give contenders our good players to help them win, and we take on deadwood and garbage so other teams can get better. We're an old franchise after all, we need to be generous.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

And when your center line is Drouin Danault Pleck and Dlr on top of that, youll get a top 3 pick!!

Reactions: Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gone how? Who will take these guys? Is Bergevin going to trade with himself?

To unload these kinds of players, you need a sucker. Bergevin is the league's sucker; many GMs can count on him to be take the crap they don't want anymore. Essentially, that's his role in today's NHL, and that's the role our team plays as well.

We give contenders our good players to help them win, and we take on deadwood and garbage so other teams can get better. We're an old franchise after all, we need to be generous.

Alzner stays, Benn is a depth guy, and Schlemo gone. Rather trade Benn but I don't think Schlemko would be hard to move

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Benn might be easier to move since he's only owed 1.1M so most of that can be eaten in the AHL if need be. Schlemko at 2.1M for 2 years might be tougher.

Fair, but Schlemko has more value on the ice IMO. Better skater and passer. Benn is not a good skater and his passes are worse than Alzner. I think there would be interest in Schlemko towards the end of the summer once teams realize they need depth on D after exploring various options . Heck, we might be able to get rid of both.

However, Bergevin in his re-tool means he focuses on depth. He might keep both

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Fair, but Schlemko has more value on the ice IMO. Better skater and passer. Benn is not a good skater and his passes are worse than Alzner. I think there would be interest in Schlemko towards the end of the summer once teams realize they need depth on D after exploring various options . Heck, we might be able to get rid of both.

However, Bergevin in his re-tool means he focuses on depth. He might keep both

I think you are thinking of the Schlemko from Belail's fantasy world, rather than the actual NHL player David Schlemko.

He sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->