Confirmed with Link: Canadiens agree to terms with Rinat Valiev (one year - two way)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Looks like he's getting 80K in the AHL plus 25K, so 105K. He should be a good addition for Laval and a depth piece to call up if/when injuries hit.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Weber
Petry
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn
Reilly
Valiev
Mete
Juulsen
Sklenicka
Moravcik
Lernout
Taormina
Bourque

That's a lot of D for 2 teams......let's hope someone stand out.

We also have a lot of wingers.

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Byron
Lehkonen
Hudon
Shaw
Carr
Scherbak
McCarron
L.Shaw
Deslauriers
Rychel

Not saying all will be on big club but we have a lot of depth there, why doesn't MB use it for a trade? I mean, some of those guys are obviously top 9 guys who can get something in return.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
surprised he took a two way since it looks like he's only getting 80K in the AHL vs what would likely be a good bit more in the KHL.

Habs signed Byron Froese to a 2 year deal
First year was a 2 way AHL/NHLfor 575,000 NHL money.,..how many games he play in the minors? 13
Then he stayed with Habs rest of season.
...Now his second year 2018-19 is a full one way deal...

Likely someone told the Valiev camp he'll be in a Habs jersey for majority of season ..unless he really stinks it up ..

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habs signed Byron Froese to a 2 year deal
First year was a 2 way AHL/NHLfor 575,000 NHL money.,..how many games he play in the minors? 13
Then he stayed with Habs rest of season.
...Now his second year is a full one way deal...

Likely someone told the Valiev camp he'll be in a Habs jersey for majority of season ..unless he really stinks it up ..

Froese got 250K in the AHL in the first year and 650K next year if he doesn't make the Habs but with Julien I assume he makes it. He was likely brought in to help the young players in Laval but they instead brought him up. They should have left them there, let Laval win games and help the younger players.

Valiev has only 12 NHL games under his belt, I could see him in the AHL and one of the first call ups.

Reactions: Habaneros

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Froese got 250K in the AHL in the first year and 650K next year if he doesn't make the Habs but with Julien I assume he makes it. He was likely brought in to help the young players in Laval but they instead brought him up. They should have left them there, let Laval win games and help the younger players.

Valiev has only 12 NHL games under his belt, I could see him in the AHL and one of the first call ups.

I think the consensus is Valiev is ready for NHL....now what he becomes we don't know...but i do believe the Habs will give him a chance right out of camp to make the team.....if he doesn't(make the team out of camp just like Froese didn't) he'll get called up early i agree..and they will try him out for 25 games and see ....I think the Habs see something in him....he just wasnt a throw in on the Plek deal..etc..Habs like the player .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think the consensus is Valiev is ready for NHL....now what he becomes we don't know...but i do believe the Habs will give him a chance right out of camp to make the team.....if he doesn't(make the team out of camp just like Froese didn't) he'll get called up early i agree..and they will try him out for 25 games and see ....I think the Habs see something in him....he just wasnt a throw in on the Plek deal..etc..Habs like the player .

I'd rather lose games with Valiev then Benn, Alzner and Schlemko so hopefully they found something. I haven't seen much of him, when he played against Laval or the IceCaps I don't remember him. If they don't move any D though, I could see him starting in the AHL unless one or both of Juulsen/Mete get sent down.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You guys are crazy...
There is absolutely no chance Valiev is on on the nhl roster over Mete and/or Juulsen.
He isnt close to as good as them and the habs are a much better team with mete and Juulsen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd rather lose games with Valiev then Benn, Alzner and Schlemko so hopefully they found something. I haven't seen much of him, when he played against Laval or the IceCaps I don't remember him. If they don't move any D though, I could see him starting in the AHL unless one or both of Juulsen/Mete get sent down.

I don't think Valiev makes anyone expendable. Benn, Alzner and Schlemko don't need anyone to push them out -- they should be shown the door regardless of who the Habs sign.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think Valiev makes anyone expendable. Benn, Alzner and Schlemko don't need anyone to push them out -- they should be shown the door regardless of who the Habs sign.

I doubt Benn or Schlemko are traded and Alzner's contract assures him of being a Hab for at least another year if not 2.

Reactions: Laurentide

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I doubt Benn or Schlemko are traded and Alzner's contract assures him of being a Hab for at least another year if not 2.

I think at least one of Benn, Reilly, Schlemko is traded. Possibly two of them.

Our D depth looks like
NHL:
Weber
Petry
alzner
Mete
Juulsen
Schlemko
Benn
Reilly

Ahl:
Lernout (require waivers)
Valiev (same)
Taormina
Fleury
Czech guy
Czech guy
Jt melancon
Bourque
Plant

So 8 guys in the nhl and 9 guys in the ahl. Thats a lot.
Not to mention, theres a chance we try to acquire a top 4 D in a trade or as a ufa.

I think Lernout will be our 7th nhl D next year.
My bet would be on Benn being traded since he only has 1 year left.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrubadam

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
You guys are crazy...
There is absolutely no chance Valiev is on on the nhl roster over Mete and/or Juulsen.
He isnt close to as good as them and the habs are a much better team with mete and Juulsen.
Why are we crazy if we want to maximize their potential? Mete has never played at the AHL level and most likely would have been sent down at some point if the team had been allowed to do it. Juulsen played half a season in the AHL and as pointed out by @montreal they called him up when he had just begun to produce points. Are we crazy if we want Juulsen to be a Kevin Bieksa rather than a Mark Fayne? Are we crazy if want Mete to be a Spurgeon rather than a Matt Hunwick? Komisarek was playing 16+ minutes a game in his first NHL stint (20 games) but was sent back down the next year, is that such a bad thing? Why not be extra cautious with players that are still waiver eligible while we can properly evaluate guys like Lernout, Valiev and Reilly. When Mete and Juulsen are fully ready, we can ship the others out and get some value instead of just having them get exposed on waivers and lose them for nothing (because if we were to trade them right now, there's not much value for guys like Lernout and Valiev who have 12-15 NHL games under their belts without being high profiles prospects). Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if Mete & Juulsen make our team better, but at the stage we are, who cares. I'd rather from an asset point of view, get the better pick and possibly build the value up of these guys.

Our D depth looks like
NHL:
Weber
Petry
alzner
Mete
Juulsen
Schlemko
Benn
Reilly

Ahl:
Valiev (same)
Taormina
Fleury
Czech guy
Czech guy
Jt melancon
Bourque

So 8 guys in the nhl and 8 guys in the ahl. Thats a lot.
Not to mention, theres a chance we try to acquire a top 4 D in a trade or as a ufa.

I can see Benn being traded but that's it. (Benn was supposedly very close to going to PIT but the trade fell through last minute due to lack of time) OTOH, we have yet to see the real Schlemko according to MB so I think he keeps him (plus his contract is pretty meh for other teams) and considering how Reilly did for us in his short stint, would be dumb to get rid of him and not see how he looks beside Weber.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Sadly, you may be right. Of course, that's assuming Bergevin is still here another 2 years. A new GM would have no attachment or face-saving reflex in respect of any of these schlubs.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
McKenzie said he was NHL ready and could be a very good part of that deal.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Why are we crazy if we want to maximize their potential? Mete has never played at the AHL level and most likely would have been sent down at some point if the team had been allowed to do it. Juulsen played half a season in the AHL and as pointed out by @montreal they called him up when he had just begun to produce points. Are we crazy if we want Juulsen to be a Kevin Bieksa rather than a Mark Fayne? Are we crazy if want Mete to be a Spurgeon rather than a Matt Hunwick? Komisarek was playing 16+ minutes a game in his first NHL stint (20 games) but was sent back down the next year, is that such a bad thing? Why not be extra cautious with players that are still waiver eligible while we can properly evaluate guys like Lernout, Valiev and Reilly. When Mete and Juulsen are fully ready, we can ship the others out and get some value instead of just having them get exposed on waivers and lose them for nothing (because if we were to trade them right now, there's not much value for guys like Lernout and Valiev who have 12-15 NHL games under their belts without being high profiles prospects). Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if Mete & Juulsen make our team better, but at the stage we are, who cares. I'd rather from an asset point of view, get the better pick and possibly build the value up of these guys.

You are saying what you would want to do, which is tank and develop. What the habs want to is the opposite.

Molson said that another bad year won't be accepted and Im sure Bergevin knows that this is his last chance. The goal will be to make the playoffs.

Mete and Juulsen were our 3rd and 4th best D last season (behind Weber and Petry). So unless we acquire two top 4 D, Mete and Juulsen will be on the nhl roster since they are much better than anyone else available (aka the schlemko, benn and reillys).

Claude Julien said that if Juulsen hasnt gotten injured at training camp, they were going to call him up much sooner. They were planning on having him in the nhl roster last summer. I doubt 1 year later, after Juulsen showed great promises at the nhl level, they decide to return him to the ahl.

Reactions: Laurentide

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Our D depth looks like
NHL:
Weber
Petry
alzner
Mete
Juulsen
Schlemko
Benn
Reilly

Ahl:
Valiev (same)
Taormina
Fleury
Czech guy
Czech guy
Jt melancon
Bourque

So 8 guys in the nhl and 8 guys in the ahl. Thats a lot.

Lernout in the AHL with Taormina, Fleury, Valiev. We don't yet know what the two Czech players will do, they have opt out clauses. Melancon and Bourque could be in the ECHL along with Plant.

Benn would be the easier one to trade since he's owed 1.1M and is a UFA at the end of the year.

Sadly, you may be right. Of course, that's assuming Bergevin is still here another 2 years. A new GM would have no attachment or face-saving reflex in respect of any of these schlubs.

If MB is fired at some point within the next year, Alzner's contract will be a little easier to move but if his play declines it's won't be much easier. In 2 years, his salary drops to 6.5M over 2 years and the first year half his salary is tied to his signing bonus. So I'd have to check when that bonus is due but if it's before the season starts since I assume it's tied to the lockout as that's when the lockout would be, he would only make 1.5M if we were to trade him if say the lockout didn't happen or wasn't a full season. At 1.5M plus another year at 3.5M, if you retain you might be able to trade him.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You are saying what you would want to do, which is tank and develop. What the habs want to is the opposite.

Molson said that another bad year won't be accepted and Im sure Bergevin knows that this is his last chance. The goal will be to make the playoffs.

Mete and Juulsen were our 3rd and 4th best D last season (behind Weber and Petry). So unless we acquire two top 4 D, Mete and Juulsen will be on the nhl roster since they are much better than anyone else available (aka the schlemko, benn and reillys).

Claude Julien said that if Juulsen hasnt gotten injured at training camp, they were going to call him up much sooner. They were planning on having him in the nhl roster last summer. I doubt 1 year later, after Juulsen showed great promises at the nhl level, they decide to return him to the ahl.

Its a fools game to put all your eggs in rookies/sophmore basket.

Both of them should make the team, but you have to accept that they will have ups and downs and that at this stage of their careers they might not be ready for a full 82 game NHL season. They are still young and haven't had much time to get used to the pro game.

Both guys could be better than what we have, or they can regress a bit and have a more difficult time or they could get injured(happend to Mete and Julsen twice).

I would rather have the problem of worrying about trading Benn/Schlemko/Reilly or lose them on waivers than have no Dmen because injuries hit or youngsters go through a sophmore slump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->