Confirmed with Link: Canadiens agree to terms with Rinat Valiev (one year - two way)

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Alzner isn't going anywhere. The Habs always play the contracts. They won't even let a coach they fire to sit around doing nothing while collecting his money. They put him to work instead even though by firing him they've basically said they want nothing more to do with him. This organization is cheap in many ways. Alzner can suck like a Hoover and he won't miss a shift as long as he's being paid all that cash.
Not always, Samsonov and Briere come to mind (from FA), otherwise there's also Parenteau and Kaberle.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Alzner isn't going anywhere. The Habs always play the contracts. They won't even let a coach they fire to sit around doing nothing while collecting his money. They put him to work instead even though by firing him they've basically said they want nothing more to do with him. This organization is cheap in many ways. Alzner can suck like a Hoover and he won't miss a shift as long as he's being paid all that cash.

That's just babbling. Habs have sat out players paid good cash before that were not performing. You obviously think that once you've typed it, your fabulations become truth.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
That's just babbling. Habs have sat out players paid good cash before that were not performing. You obviously think that once you've typed it, your fabulations become truth.
If you think that the Habs are going to pay the $18 million balance of Alzner's contract just to get rid of him then you clearly haven't been paying attention to how this team conducts its business. "Fabulate" on that.

Reactions: Zorba

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Weber
Petry
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn
Reilly
Valiev
Mete
Juulsen
Sklenicka
Moravcik
Lernout
Taormina
Bourque

That's a lot of D for 2 teams......let's hope someone stand out.

giphy.gif

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Reilly is already under contract this year for $725K.

I wouldn't mind Reilly with Weber, I'd just be happy to see anyone other than Alzner/Benn/Schlemko there lol.

Dang, thought he was a RFA.

Well, to me it seals the case, at least 1 offensive PMD in the lineup.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Look at the habs last season, you need 9 or 10 or heck even 11 D in the NHL now a days.

There will be injuries or players will under perform etc... Having depth on D is important.

Julsen/Mete should play with the big club but they are still young players that will have ups and downs. They will come out of the lineup at some point. Someone will suffer an injury or two. We have a lot of bodies that can battle fo bottom 3 D spot. Also opens ups some trade opputrunties.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Look at the habs last season, you need 9 or 10 or heck even 11 D in the NHL now a days.

There will be injuries or players will under perform etc... Having depth on D is important.

Julsen/Mete should play with the big club but they are still young players that will have ups and downs. They will come out of the lineup at some point. Someone will suffer an injury or two. We have a lot of bodies that can battle fo bottom 3 D spot. Also opens ups some trade opputrunties.
Let's just hope that this year - MB's solution to fixing our D is not to throw a bunch of depth players next to Weber and hope for the best though.

Depth is fine and all, and really, its not like he can do much more than that at this stage of the year...

I just hope he's got some longer-term solutions in mind.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Valiev is never going to be a full time NHL D-man. He's much worse than Pateryn, don't understand the hype. Watched him play for the Marlies a few times and I was never impressed.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Alzner will be dealt with by our new GM. No way he finishes his contract playing in the NHL.

Bergevin is done after this season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Valet: I'm jumping to the KHL, I'm jumping to the KHL!!
Bergevin: Here's a two-way for your troubles. You'll make $80K in Laval.
Valet: Plus tips, right?

Reactions: Habs Icing

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Samsonov was signed for 2 years at around $3.5 million per, and Briere also got 2 years at $4 million per. Alzner is making $4.6 million per and has 4 years left on his deal. They aren't going to pay him $18 million not to play for the next 4 years.
If the team plays better WITHOUT him, I don’t see why not.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
If the team plays better WITHOUT him, I don’t see why not.
Yeah, you don't see why not because it's not your money being wasted on a non-playing asset. But Geoff Molson sure as hell doesn't care how well the team plays without him. If he has to shell out $18 more million on Alzner he damn well expects him to suit up and play for it. He made Therrien stick around in a scouting role rather than let him sit on his backside collecting free money and that was a much smaller sum than what Alzner is owed.

So long as Molson owns this team and as long as Alzner stays healthy (and isn't traded in the meantime) he will play from now until his contract expires. We are married to him, thanks to Bergevin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->