Confirmed with Link: Canadiens agree to terms with Rinat Valiev (one year - two way)

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Kid has everything to battle for the bottom pairing next season, and damn I hope he wins this battle, same with Lernout, one of Benn/Schlemko would at least be shipped.

And I much prefer Mete-Juulsen in the A with Bouchard, at least to begin the season, so they can learn in a slower league with a top instructor...

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Kid has everything to battle for the bottom pairing next season, and damn I hope he wins this battle, same with Lernout, one of Benn/Schlemko would at least be shipped.

And I much prefer Mete-Juulsen in the A with Bouchard, at least to begin the season, so they can learn in a slower league with a top instructor...

i don't know. Both Mete and Juulsen did not look out of place on the team. Juulsen actually made Alzner look like a good d-man.

Reactions: Habs100

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
i don't know. Both Mete and Juulsen did not look out of place on the team. Juulsen actually made Alzner look like a good d-man.

That's nothing against them, and yeah both could follow the play nicely, Juulsen was already keen in breaking plays, which was great to see, and damn Mete skating... !

Buuuuut, I just think it would be beneficial for them, at least for the beginning of the season, I really want both of them to work on their offense with Bouchard.

Reactions: montreal

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
That's nothing against them, and yeah both could follow the play nicely, Juulsen was already keen in breaking plays, which was great to see, and damn Mete skating... !

Buuuuut, I just think it would be beneficial for them, at least for the beginning of the season, I really want both of them to work on their offense with Bouchard.

I get what people means when they want Juulsen and Mete in the A, but to me it's overthinking as both had impressive showings in the NHL

Reactions: Nedved

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

The argument for Mete in the AHL is that while he didn't look out of place, he had trouble dealing with NHL size. More confidence in moving the puck would be helpful and he could work on stuff better in the AHL. Now that Laval has a coach with a track record of success, fans feel better about giving him time there.

Juulsen also didn't look out of place in the NHL, but there's plenty of stuff he needs to work on. I'd rather him play on the first pair in Laval than 12-13 minutes a night in the NHL.

Mete might be more pressing to play in the NHL, since his skillset and position are a serious area of need, but Montreal has no shortage of bottom pair D depth.

And even if those guys start the season in the AHL, it doesn't mean they'll end the season there.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I might not be around in the year 2047 ..so i will put this up for sale now

2047 Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup parade ticket forsale inbox me for more info

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Awesome. AHL depth/NHL depth. Another LD though. Will be interesting to see what we do with Benn (the guy we protected in the expansion draft) and Schelemko. Tons of depth on the left side. Very interested to see what we do with Mete and Juulsen next year.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
From a developmental perspective:

Valiev Weber
Rielly Petry
Alzner/Benn/Schlemko Lernout

Mete, Juulsen in the A

I also don't mind tanking to get Hughes, or another stud, in '19 draft.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If we want to maximize their potential, some extra seasoning in the AHL won't hurt, especially under competent coaching. If we want these two to develop an offensive game, we are handicapping their potential if we expect them to do so at the NHL level. Hardly ever happens, at least on a consistent basis instead of an anomaly year (like Jason Garrison).

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Yeah, but still, poor Shea :laugh:

If MB can't find a top 4 LHD this off-season, I'd still prefer Reilly re-signed and put with Weber, at least he's a PMD, Weber won't have to move the puck too much.

Reilly is already under contract this year for $725K.

I wouldn't mind Reilly with Weber, I'd just be happy to see anyone other than Alzner/Benn/Schlemko there lol.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Young kid with only a dozen nhl games of experience. He wants to play in the NHL and he knows this is probably his last shot to show that he can make the jump. I am sure he will train like a madman this offseason. Smart signing

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Alzner isn't going anywhere. The Habs always play the contracts. They won't even let a coach they fire to sit around doing nothing while collecting his money. They put him to work instead even though by firing him they've basically said they want nothing more to do with him. This organization is cheap in many ways. Alzner can suck like a Hoover and he won't miss a shift as long as he's being paid all that cash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->