Canadians: What's your favourite Canadian team?

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
I'll guess the final results of which Canadian teams have the most Canadian fans in advance.....

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa
Calgary
Winnipeg. They're the newest/latest team so they've had fewer previously uncommitted fans to lure in.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'll guess the final results of which Canadian teams have the most Canadian fans in advance.....

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa
Calgary
Winnipeg. They're the newest/latest team so they've had fewer previously uncommitted fans to lure in.

Winnipeg will be higher. They have a very active HF fanbase.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa
Calgary

I did not realize the post would go up before I finished the poll... left and made a grilled cheese sandwich half way through.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa
Calgary

based on HF activity:

Toronto
Montreal
Edmonton

Vancouver
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Calgary

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
based on HF activity:

Toronto
Montreal
Edmonton

Vancouver
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Calgary

For HF activity, Flames are by far dead last for Canadian teams (hell, the Flames board is probably the least active for all 31 teams). Majority of Flames posters go to Calgary Puck though, which I absolutely hate.

As far as the most popular teams, I'd go...

Toronto
Montreal
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Vancouver/Calgary
Ottawa

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Just a reminder to keep in mind that the majority of the habs fanbase speaks primarily french & wouldn't come to an english forum.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
If you were to poll every Canadian, just because of the size of the populations, geography and history factors, you'd get:

Toronto

Montreal

Edmonton
Vancover
Calgary

Winnipeg/Ottawa

---

The HF numbers will be much different than reality.

member 116861

Montreal is the only one I don't despise so I guess them even though I strongly dislike them.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Toronto: Original 6 team in the largest market with fans all over Canada
Montreal: Original 6 team in the 2nd largest market with fans all over Canada
Edmonton: Won the most SC of any Canadian team over the last 40 years
Vancouver: 3rd largest market
Calgary: 4th largest market
Winnipeg: Underdog city that a lot of people will cheer for because they are underdogs.
Ottawa: Capital city and everyone hates the capital. :)

Last edited:

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
I'm a Leaf fan but for teams i enjoy watching.

Tor - Homer
EDM / Win. The kids are alright
Calgary - childhood Fav team
Ottawa - Karlsson and Family importance
Montreal - To watch them Lose :)
I don't think anyone enjoys watching Vancouver atm

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Everyone should say say Toronto or Montreal. You wouldn't have a team if it wasn't for those two teams, actually you wouldn't know what hockey is if it wasn't for those two teams.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Everyone should say say Toronto or Montreal. You wouldn't have a team if it wasn't for those two teams, actually you wouldn't know what hockey is if it wasn't for those two teams.

Well we wouldn't know hockey from Toronto anyways but Montreal with all those Lord Stanley's we definitely would.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

Montreal yes, Toronto no. Hockey in Ottawa is older than hockey in Toronto.

Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City are the cradle of modern hockey in Canada with Montreal being ground-zero.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Montreal yes, Toronto no. Hockey in Ottawa is older than hockey in Toronto.

Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City are the cradle of modern hockey in Canada with Montreal being ground-zero.

Hockey in Ottawa pre-dates Hockey in Toronto by 3 years according to game chronology, 1884 and 1887. Montreal pre-dates both with 1875 under Halifax Hockey Club Rules (this was also the first indoor game). Nova Scotia pre-dates all with 1800 as far as a documented organized game. Everything about the game was imported to Quebec from Nova Scotia including sticks, skates, nets, pucks and rules (these Starr skates and MicMac sticks where still the popular choice well into the 1930's).

So where exactly is Ottawa's glory as being part of the cradle of the game? You mean because they played documented games a few years before Toronto do to geography, or because they won a bunch of Cup challenges between 1903 to 1927 (by buying the best players off of other teams) prior to the Senators leaving to St.Louis?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Something they did 100 years ago has no influence on how annoying they are now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad