Canadian world junior fans criticized in Buffalo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't really like either article, especially since they used my picture. Regardless, this brings to light something that has never happened before.

BREAKING NEWS - Humans being generalized based on some random color/nationality.

I suppose the US can write an article about Canadians being bad tippers, since I am sure there are more then a couple articles about the parking lots gouging fans $50+ for parking. Eye for an eye?

Perhaps all the Canadians had left after being raked over the parking coals were a few bucks for some suds. It's a good point -- the parking people hideously gouged anyone looking to park in certain lots. It was, IMO, criminal.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
HEY DON ESMONDE!

U-mad.jpg

Maximus74

Mar 5, 2006
Ontario
Meh..

The irony is that American style patriotism has caught on with the newest generation of Canadians and the first people to complain about it are the Americans...

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This kind of stuff goes along with fans of any sport in any city.... I'm sure many Bills fans can be accused of the same sort of raucus, slightly offensive-to-some behaviour. It goes along with sport and people paying good money to attend these events.

it just so happens that Canadian fans are the only ones who happened to care about this tournament.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Since the end zone seats at a Bills home game generally resemble a Hieronymous Bosch painting, we thought you embraced that sort of high-spirited fun.

Great line.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
They need something to do.

Would have shut them out in their house, if not for a few very suspect calls.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Without Canadians, there would've been no fights, no flag burning, no arrests, and no price-gouging. Yeah, what a nightmare that could've been.

No fans either.

Your security guard friends would have been busy rasslin' tumbleweeds.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
There's a reason HSBC Arena security guards were coming up to my friends and I looking for high-fives after the Russians took the lead in the gold medal game.

The number of drunk jackasses outnumbered the number of nice, civil people. As one arena employee joked to me, "Do they realize these are 19 year olds playing hockey?"

Is the reason that they are entirely unprofessional and instead of doing their jobs they seek out American fans in the building and take joy in the fact that the Canadians, the only reason these kings among men that we call security guards even have jobs, are losing?

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Two bad articles. Got a chuckle out of them atleast.

Ah yes, Stereotypes. B/C A few Canadians are bad tippers, I'm sure they're all bad tippers. Just like all Americans are great tipper! Same goes for drunks, Americans never get drunk.

The number of drunk jackasses outnumbered the number of nice, civil people. "
It is much easier to notice 50, 100, or even 200 jackasses than it is to notice 10,000 civil people

Yep and yep.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was under the impression that a large number of Canadian fans were cheering for the Americans in the bronze medal game. But the Buffalo writer said Canadian fans cheered against the US in every game...

Up until the bronze game they were cheering against the USA. Its was ugly and unfortunately my daughters had to be subjected to it. SInce we attended many games.

I could care less about cheering for Finland, Germany, etc. But the foul mouthed tirades from the mutlitude of drunken asshats was something that ruined the experience for my daughters.

The worst game was Finland/USA. When we (myself and my 12yr old daughter) had a dozen or so guys in Team Canada jersey's behind us bragging about getting tossed from the Bills game earlier in the day. I knew it was going to a "fun" game. :shakehead

Basically. It wasn't that much different than many Leaf game nights down here... some are idiots, some aren't. That doesn't make it mean they are ALL drunken buffoons, just a few.

I've heard that at four local watering holes within a short walk of the rink. Maybe they thought those quarters were two-nies?

I'm pretty confident its the same folks. They just switch Jerseys before the ride down. Basically a portion of Leaf's nation is ruining the rep of the rest of Canada. :laugh: Just one more reason for the rest of Canada to hate'em . :nod:

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Some Hockey Canada fans are drunken animals, for sure.

I've been to a Buffalo Bills game, and some of their fans are drunken animals too, just as bad if not worse (so *** profane!).

Never seen a game in Philly, but I'd imagine it would be worse; especially if you were a visiting Skins, Giants, or Cowboys fan. It would be fun to see a game there; I'd have to cheer for Philly, though; I'd make sure I see a game where my team isn't playing.

The tipping makes no sense; my friends and I would always leave a $5 tip on a $25 order. I thought most Canucks were good tippers, especially on beer. At least they didn't leave Canadian Tire money and say the bearded guy was our president. Of course this wouldn't work in Buffalo; maybe in Mississippi?

(I think the guy is just trying to be funny / get attention)

I've seen Bills games mentioned a few times and I had to laugh. Do you folks even realize that the Bills have very strong support from Southern Ontario (at least 25% of season tix holders are Canadian) and have strong single game seat sales to Canadians as well (obviously only at the Ralph :laugh:) . In fact the Bills get far more support from Canadians than the Sabres do.

Basically the people you are trying to hold out as a counterpoint are likely to be your fellow countrymen.

The main, overriding factor for the asshat behaviour at these events (WJC/Billls game) is alcohol not the nationality of the folks involved.

The difference though is I expect the drunken stupidty at a Bills game so I would never take my daughters to a game. I didn't expect it at the WJC and that I blame on the organizers. What did they think would happen when you put an enormous beer tent right outside the venue.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
So what's the Russian angle on all of this?

:D

Nyet!

Seriously, Canada is #1 in hockey. I love going to Tim Horton's. Thanks for hiding the six Americans in Tehran in your embassy 30 years ago. Monte Hall is the best game show host ever. Canadian TV is so bad that it is funny, kind of like SCTV, only for real. It makes me feel better about US TV ("57 channels and there is nothing on"). I love all Canadians, except for Leafs fans.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
no different then Americans and their love for college football/basketball.

You need to understand that the security staff at HSBC arena work all events there and most of them have been there for years. So they've had many NCAA basketball and hockey events there with none of the drunken stupidity that came with this event.

Thats because the NCAA does not allow alcohol to be sold at any event it sponsers.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Up until the bronze game they were cheering against the USA. Its was ugly and unfortunately my daughters had to be subjected to it. SInce we attended many games.

I could care less about cheering for Finland, Germany, etc. But the foul mouthed tirades from the mutlitude of drunken asshats was something that ruined the experience for my daughters.

The worst game was Finland/USA. When we (myself and my 12yr old daughter) had a dozen or so guys in Team Canada jersey's behind us bragging about getting tossed from the Bills game earlier in the day. I knew it was going to a "fun" game. :shakehead

I'm pretty confident its the same folks. They just switch Jerseys before the ride down. Basically a portion of Leaf's nation is ruining the rep of the rest of Canada. :laugh: Just one more reason for the rest of Canada to hate'em . :nod:

This. When I was walking in to the USA/Germany game a five year old and his dad were walking in decked out in Sabres gear in front of me. A 30 something in a Maple Leafs jersey walks by the other way. The 5 year old Sabres fan turns to the guy in the Maple Leafs jersey and says "Take that crap back to Toronto!" I laughed my ass off.

Kaoz*

"The attitude changed. We collectively decided that while there is no shame in finishing second, it should not be a pre-tournament objective. This is Canada. We own this game."
I do believe Russia would beg to differ.

Because we're so polite, we share from time to time.

Your welcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad