Canadian World Cup roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
I personally like the picks. A bit of a different direction this season, but I scoff at the people suggesting that this team needs goal scorers instead of grinders. Iginla, St. Louis, Thornton, Heatley, Sakic, Marleau, Lemieux...these guys can provide more than enough offense. They left Bertuzzi off, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he ended up finding a way on if the NHL reinstates him before then, but I can't really fault them too much for it. The questionable picks are obviously...Maltby, Richards, Morrow, and Gagne over Kariya, Tanguay, Lecavalier, and Primeau. Morrow I have little problem having on the team. Richards and Gagne over Tanguay, Lecavalier or Kariya? Gagne I have a bit of a problem with...I'd rather see one of the others take that spot. Richards I'll take. Maltby is obviously an attempt to recreate what he, Draper and Doan did at the Worlds. No one is suggesting he's "one of the best", but that he'd be the one of the best fits for the team. Simply a stategical pick, and if he isn't working out he can sit in the pressbox. Draper had a real solid offensive year, and has always been one of the better defense players. I have no problem with them picking him over Primeau or Peca. I'd also probably rather see a few other d-men there rather than Brewer, but he's been there before which gave him a leg up. Belfour deserves the spot...yeah you could say that he's going to be sitting in the pressbox anyways, why not let a young guy take it. Belfour earned it, plain and simple (and it pains me to saythat, since I don't like him one bit).

The picks of Gagne, Brewer, Belfour...they are likely there as a carry-over from the Olympics. There might be more talented picks out there, but keep in mind that the guys picking the team sees what happens behind the scenes, in the lockerrooms. We don't. Gretzky and co clearly liked what they saw from these guys the first time around. "I don't give a **** if they 'like' these guys, all that matters i having the best players there"...well no, all that matters is winning, and the organizers feel that these players all brought something positive to the table . We don't see all that goes on, so I find some of the grandstanding and the overly harsh criticisms of the picks a little overdone, considering they are made on only part of the info.

Gretzky is biased? What, and you're not? He has the players he likes, and clearly in some instances they won out over other possibly deserving candidates. Its what happens in every evaluation process. To suggest that he has anything but winning in mind, however, is bogus.

Bottom line for me...I'd rather see Kariya or Lecavalier there over Gagne or Maltby, but I can see where they're coming from. A "horrible horrible roster"? Ridiculous.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
Do you want to know why Maltby was selected over Primeau? He's a winger.

Look at the centers we got. Lemieux, Sakic, Thornton, Marleau, Richards, Draper. That's 6 centers. Do we really need a 7th one? Richards and someone else are going to play on the wings, it's enough. Plus, Draper is nothing without Maltby, and Maltby is nothing without Draper.

Lemieux won't play center.

I'd have had Draper play the wing on my shutdown line.

Gagne - Primeau - Draper

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
#1. the games are being played in NHL rinks not International rinks.

#2. I have no problem with the Draper selection, but Maltby isn't close to the players that the rest of the team is. They have plenty of good defensive players on this team, and penalty killers as well.

#1) Speed is speed no matter the size of the ice

#2) More goes into putting a team together than just best talent available, their are other components... like style and chemistry.

Peca and Primeau are both natural centers..... and who's to say they'll feed of each other well as a combo?

} Peca - Primeau - ??
} Draper - Peca/Primeau - ??
} Maltby - Draper - ??

One of these combos is a lock stylistically (is that a word )... which one is it?

Last edited:

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Primeau is Hitch's favorite player BY FAR, and is clearly our MVP. Also after the numerous Flyer victories over the Leafs in recent years Quinn has spent plenty of time heapign praise on Primeau.

The chances of Theordore or Belfour playing much of a role is slim anyway.

Get.over.it.

I'm sure Pat Quinn would have liked to see McCabe on the team. Maybe Nieuwendyk and Roberts too. But sometimes, a coach needs to be OBJECTIVE. Maybe Primeau is Hitchcock's favorite, but Ken is enough smart to realize that Draper and Maltby are more useful than Primeau.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
best lineup out of what we have:

Lemieux - Thornton - Heatley
Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Smyth - Richards - St. Louis
Maltby - Draper - Doan

-only thing I might change is Gagne with Marleau.

Pronger - Niedermayer
Redden - Blake
Jovanovski - Foote

Brodeur
Luongo

Verbal Kint*

Jussi said:
Sorry, I meant Draper. :blush: Forsberg got nothing done in the final.
Much much better. I agree, Draper should be a great selection, but it boggles my mind how Maltby got picked for a defensive and physical role over Peca and Primeau.

Phanuthier*

Wow we Canadian are a bunch of whiners

Gretzkey's the best player ever to play the game, and selected the team that won a GOLD medal last Olympics.

I'll give Gretzkey the benefit of the doubt... sure there are alot of players I think should be on there, but I don't think there are any poor choices on the team.

Clearly, Maltby is on there because Draper is on there... rather than spend a few days to get your chemistry together, Gretz thought it would be smarter to have two forwards that work together. Draper and Maltby are known winners, and while not offensive superstars, they do a damn good job at what they do.

Eddie Belfore simply had a MVP year, I see no reason why he shouldn't be on the team. Granted I think Theodore was as well, but I ersonally don't see Belfore as a poor choice.

Robyn Regehr... for all of you who say he's poor at this or that, look at his playoff stats. The Flames success IMO is more to do with team defense than Kiprusoff, Iginla or Gelinas. They are the heart of the team, which is led by Robyn Regehr. The guy has the tools to play in the World Cup... he's one of the strongest D in the league, one of the best along the boards (IMO top 5 in the league), has a good outlet pass, doesn't get intimidated by skill, and has a heavy shot from the point.

Eric Brewer... I'll admit, this is the one that I question most, but you know what, there are 8 defenseman on this team. If Brewer blows chunks, he sits.

jmstace

Mar 27, 2004
GP G A P +/- PIM SH EV PP GT GW OT S S% TOI/g SFT/g FO%
BRYAN MCCABE TOR D 75 16 37 53 22 86 0 8 8 1 2 0 168 9.5 25:43 28.0 50.0

WADE REDDEN OTT D 81 17 26 43 21 65 0 5 12 1 3 0 175 9.7 24:54 31.2 0.0

The numbers show that McCabe is a better player this year then Redden. Would have been even better had McCabe played 81 games to match Redden. Quinn won't be the reason McCabe is there, his numbers are.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Lemieux won't play center.

Are you on crack?

Gretzky told to TSN after the press conference that Lemieux wanted to have Bertuzzi as a winger. If you use a little of your logic, that means he's gonna play center.

Did he ever play wing anyway?

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
jmstace said:

The numbers show that McCabe is a better player this year then Redden. Would have been even better had McCabe played 81 games to match Redden. Quinn won't be the reason McCabe is there, his numbers are.

You know, Alex Tanguay's stats are better than almost every player in Team Canada. So what?

Ah, and if hockey was just a question of stats...

Verbal Kint*

jmstace said:

Numbers don't always mean everything, and Redden is by far the better breakout passer. However Regher and Brewer over McCabe I can't get. However its also nice to think of how Redden's stats are probably heightened (at least offensively) due to the team he's playing on. Its quite the debate, and among common fans, McCabe almost always loses it.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Zednik20 said:
best lineup out of what we have:

Lemieux - Thornton - Heatley
Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Smyth - Richards - St. Louis
Maltby - Draper - Doan

-only thing I might change is Gagne with Marleau.

Under no circumstances should Marleau be left out of the lineup IMO. He's one of the fastest forwards, responsible defensively and has size.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Splatman Phanutier said:
Wow we Canadian are a bunch of whiners

Gretzkey's the best player ever to play the game, and selected the team that won a GOLD medal last Olympics.

I'll give Gretzkey the benefit of the doubt... sure there are alot of players I think should be on there, but I don't think there are any poor choices on the team.

Clearly, Maltby is on there because Draper is on there... rather than spend a few days to get your chemistry together, Gretz thought it would be smarter to have two forwards that work together. Draper and Maltby are known winners, and while not offensive superstars, they do a damn good job at what they do.

Eddie Belfore simply had a MVP year, I see no reason why he shouldn't be on the team. Granted I think Theodore was as well, but I ersonally don't see Belfore as a poor choice.

Robyn Regehr... for all of you who say he's poor at this or that, look at his playoff stats. The Flames success IMO is more to do with team defense than Kiprusoff, Iginla or Gelinas. They are the heart of the team, which is led by Robyn Regehr. The guy has the tools to play in the World Cup... he's one of the strongest D in the league, one of the best along the boards (IMO top 5 in the league), has a good outlet pass, doesn't get intimidated by skill, and has a heavy shot from the point.

Eric Brewer... I'll admit, this is the one that I question most, but you know what, there are 8 defenseman on this team. If Brewer blows chunks, he sits.

Stated my opinion far more eloquently than I could.

flamesfanont

Mar 5, 2002
St. Thomas Ont
Visit site
Maple Leafs Forever said:
Numbers don't always mean everything, and Redden is by far the better breakout passer. However Regher and Brewer over McCabe I can't get.

You mean the same McCabe that was horrible in the post-season? The same McCabe that practically did everything in his power to help the Flyers knock out the Leafs? All I can say is thank god he isn't there!

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boomhower said:
#1) Speed is speed no matter the size of the ice

#2) More goes into putting a team together than just best talent available, their are other components... like style and chemistry.

Peca and Primeau are both natural centers..... and who's to say they'll feed of each other well as a combo?

} Peca - Primeau - ??
} Draper - Peca/Primeau - ??
} Maltby - Draper - ??

One of these combos is a lock stylistically (is that a word )... which one is it?

I'll take Gagne - Primeau over Maltby and Draper any day of the week, and they've also played together all season as a shut-down line.

Gagne - Primeau - ???

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
Are you on crack?

Gretzky told to TSN after the press conference that Lemieux wanted to have Bertuzzi as a winger. If you use a little of your logic, that means he's gonna play center.

Did he ever play wing anyway?

Yes he's played wing a lot in his career. For a number of years in Pittsburgh. In the 87 Canada Cup. During the 2002 Olympics.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Lemieux-Sakic-Iginla
Smyth-Thornton-Heatley
St. Louis-Richards-Doan
Morrow-Draper-Maltby

Leaves Out: Marleau, Gagne, Yzerman

I dont know, from the Olympics it seemed Gretky knew what he was doing, and this lineup could do alot of damage. The skill and presence of the first line, dominance and power of the second line, the energy and smarts of the third line, and the defense and hustle of the 4th line. Not to mention every single player on these lines has speed to burn. (Apart from maybe Lemieux)

Jovanovski-Pronger
Blake-Brewer
Niedermayer-Foote/Regehr

Leaves Out: Regehr/Foote and Redden

Muscle, Smarts, Speed, and Responsibilty on every pairing and in every player.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Boomhower said:
Under no circumstances should Marleau be left out of the lineup IMO. He's one of the fastest forwards, responsible defensively and has size.

Put him in over Gagne then. Gagne-Sakic-Iginla was successful in Salt Lake though. I'm not a big Marleau fan, to me it seems he's never in on the play. With the exception of the two hat trick games. Standing around watching Damphousse and Dimitrakos (or Korolyuk last game) create the offense.

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
Maltby and Draper over Primeau and Tanguay??? What a joke!! This is really laughable! Draps is a quality shut down center, no doubt about that. But Primeau is better! It's really a shame not to see Alex Tanguay, he's damned with Team Canada! They already have Morrow as a checking winger! Why choose Maltby?

And about Gagné, many of you seem not be aware of his qualities...Of course, he doesn't score like in 2002 but he is a hell of a two-way player now! He will be a key player on the line of Sakic and Iggy.

And to see Stevie Y there is stunning too. With all the respect I have for him, he's washed up. I would like to have a youngster instead...

As for Bertuzzi, he was not selected for obvious reasons. But Greztky said that he would be the first call-up in case of an injury.

flamesfanont

Mar 5, 2002
St. Thomas Ont
Visit site
Wow, on other boards there is a lot of people suprised Bert did not make the team. IMO it is a huge blessing that he was not selected, we all know Bert is unpredictable and a loose cannon who takes stupid penalties when things are not going his way. Plus, do you think Gretzky and co want to risk Bert losing it and disgracing Canada on an international scene? It might possibly be the best part of Canada's roster is no Bert! :handclap:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I'll take Gagne - Primeau over Maltby and Draper any day of the week, and they've also played together all season as a shut-down line.

Gagne - Primeau - ???

Maltby and Draper had better numbers this season than those two and have had ALOT more success in their careers together and again are faster than those two. Gagne is too soft to be a top notch defensive shutdown guy anyways.

Oh and Maltby can drive the oppositions top players crazy aswell as anyone.

Last edited:

Killer 93

flamesfanont said:
You mean the same McCabe that was horrible in the post-season? The same McCabe that practically did everything in his power to help the Flyers knock out the Leafs? All I can say is thank god he isn't there!

He was horrible in one game, not the entire post-season. Aren't he and Leetch still leading defensemen in scoring? I believe they are.

flamesfanont

Mar 5, 2002
St. Thomas Ont
Visit site
Leaf Defender said:
He was horrible in one game, not the entire post-season. Aren't he and Leetch still leading defensemen in scoring? I believe they are.

Maybe but Gretz stated he was looking for players who could step up in pressure situations, McCabe obviously does not qualify. Can you imagine a Gold medal game against the U.S. and he plays like that?

Verbal Kint*

flamesfanont said:
He had one bad game. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->