Canadian World Cup roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer 93

JoseTheo said:
I would think Theodore.. but since Quinn is the head coach there's no doubt in my mind Theodore's spot ..

It could not have anything to do with Belfour being a better goalie, and having a better season and playoffs, it has to be because of Quinn. :shakehead

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Mario - Thornton - Heatly
Smyth - Draper - Yzerman
Morrow - Marleau - St.Louis
Maltby - Richards - Doan

?????

dr

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Scott Walker > Ryan Smyth, or at least he was this year...oh well, thats alright...he'll have a little more rest before the start of next season.

You're right Jmac Gretzky and Lowe must share a pillow at night.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
A lot of weird picks, like Maltby, Brewer, Morrow, Gagne, but I think that with Draper in there, there was no need for Primeau. Their centers in Thornton, Sakic, Lemieux, Richards, Draper are very solid. Draper just beat all the other shutdown guys.
But like people are saying, some wingers could of been better :dunno:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
This is a joke, what the hell did he want Primeau to do in order in make the team. Gretzky is clearly west biast with Lowe.
Well offense isn't everything, but it would help if Primeau could put up more than one point every two or three games. Since they had their defensive centre in Draper, I guess they didn't think they needed Primeau.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I think they'll bring back the "international grind line" that was so effective in last years World Championships, Gretz also said Richards was going to be a big part of the team.... My guess:

Richards - Sakic - Iginla
Lemieux - Thornton - St.Louis
Smyth - Marleau - Heatley
Maltby - Draper - Doan

ex. Yzerman, Morrow, Gagne

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Seven_Nation_Army said:
Scott Walker > Ryan Smyth, or at least he was this year...oh well, thats alright...he'll have a little more rest before the start of next season.

You're right Jmac Gretzky and Lowe must share a pillow at night.

Smyth is Mr Team Canada. Captain of the last 2 World Champ teams, member of 2002 Olympic Champions, most Intl games ever for a Canadian.

There was no chance he wasnt going to be on the team, especially when you factor in the Kevin Lowe factor.

DR

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
No suprise that Fatty Quinn was abel to weasel one of his players onto the team.

Leaf fans are wetting themselves again, too bad they don't realize that BelFORE will be a third stringer and see no action. :lol

Maltby instead of Primeau? :banghead:

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
I love the selection of Maltby. Canada can't just have a team full of scorers. Maltby brings a different dimension to Canada, and will give the rest of the World's hockey fans another reason to hate the team.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
DementedReality said:
Smyth is Mr Team Canada. Captain of the last 2 World Champ teams, member of 2002 Olympic Champions, most Intl games ever for a Canadian.

I agree about Smyth and everything he brings to the table, but I think he just has the most games by a Canadian in the World Championships, not in international play.

Liquidrage*

I think leaving out Primeau is odd. Primeau is leading a team as a shut down checking center. Kinda like a Peca once did only more so. He's got his team into the ECF and clearly has been the best player on his team this post season. I don't think Draper could do that. Draper needs to by a role player on a good team to do what he does.

But then again, without focusing on the playoffs, Draper had the better regular season. Then again, the last few years KP's been better overall.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003

The forward selections are a joke. When the first speaker talked about kids dreaming of being Simon Gagne I nearly puked. What has the guy done this year or last year for that matter?!?!?

The Richards selection doesn't make any sense. Lecavalier is the better player. I'd take Spezza and Nash over him too. (Even though it's my opinon that Rick is currently the most overrated player in the league.)

Killer 93

Nihilism said:
No suprise that Fatty Quinn was abel to weasel one of his players onto the team.

Leaf fans are wetting themselves again, too bad they don't realize that BelFORE will be a third stringer and see no action. :lol

Maltby instead of Primeau? :banghead:

Sour grapes because Eddie is in over Theo? I think so.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I am very disapointed with a lot of choices from Gretzky.

Draper/Maltby over Primeau/Peca disapoint me alot. Draper is acceptable but Maltby? That guy is a freakin' fourth liner in Detroit and you're saying that this guy is one of the better 15 forwards in Canada? What a joke... I doesn't diserve to be there.

Old washed up Steve Yzerman over 41 goal scorer Rick Nash. I love Yzerman, he WAS (key word) a great player, one of the greatest of all time but his days are over. The guy should retire and shouldn't be on that team. Political choice IMO. Enough leadership with Sakic and Lemieux... Nash goalscoring touch would have been more useful to this team...

Brenden Morrow instead of Alex Tanguay or Paul Kariya. Again we replace offense with defense and grit. This guy is good but we need to score some goals! Damn, why do we need to have a freakin' checking line? We got the better defense/goaltenders in the world and by far. I think this is a really bad choice.

Robyn Regehr instead of Jay Bouwmeester. Is that a joke? I love Regehr but Bouwmeester is and will always be better than guy. Plus Jaybo is our damn future. Why don't we let him play with Scott Nieds? They played great together at the Worlds. I think that choice have been motivated by the playoffs and not by the skills or the utility that the guy could have on this team. Bad choice IMO but better than alot of forwards choices. If you wanted to have Regehr on that team then scratch Brewer not Jay Bouwmeester...

And that last and not the least Ed "Quinn's *****" Belfour instead of José Théodore or Marty Turco. Don't get me wrong, Belfour is good and actualy better than both Théo and Turco but what is the purpose to put a 38 yo goalie in the third spot? WE DON'T NEED EXPERIENCE IN THE STANDS! Turco or Théo would have been better choices because they would had a taste of those competitions. Plus Théo has been better than Belfour all year long except for the playoffs. Another political choice IMO.

My general thoughts are that this team is loaded with role player and that we will let home REAL talented offensive player (Lecavalier, Nash, Tanguay, Kariya and even Murray.). Plus some political choice like Yzerman and Belfour stole spot from diserving players like Primeau, Lecavalier, Nash, Tanguay, Kariya, Théodore and Turco.

I critize alot but I'm happy with the rest of the team and I am VERY happy that Brad Richards did that team. I always felt that he was better right now then Vinny Lecavalier and he showed in the playoffs that he is a clutch player. Congrats to Brad! I'm happy with the choice of his teammate Marty St-Louis too. I'm sure he'll do great and bring back the cup to the north!

I'm also very happy for Regehr. Even if I prefer Bouwmeester, I'm proud of this hard working d-man and I hope he will do great in the World Cup. Good luck Robyn.

I hope that Dany Heatley will be as good as in the World Championship. Go Dany go!

Gagné - Sakic - Iginla are back together and that's great.

Well, I'm not happy with all the team but I still hope that they'll do great.

GO CANADA GO! :yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Look at Finland's roster for the last World Championship, they had 3 lines of defensive scrubs and did pretty well in Qualifying and almost beating Canada. But then you have Quinn as coach, not a guy that values defensive systems or even line matching.

Killer 93

Zednik20 said:
Not like it really matters. Neither would see any action anyway.

Well some of your fellow habs fans are making a pretty big deal out of it. It must matter to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad