OT: Canadian Women’s Hockey League’s Boston Blades move to Worcester

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They really are a team few knew existed

Canadian Women's Hockey League's Boston Blades move to Worcester, will play at Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center

The Canadian Women’s Hockey League announced on Monday the relocation of the Boston Blades to Worcester.
The Worcester Blades will play the 2018-19 CWHL season at the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center on Harding Street, which is also the home practice ice of the ECHL’s Worcester Railers.

The regular-season kicks off in October and runs through March.

Last season, the Blades played at the Larsen Skating Rink at Mike Eruzione Center in Winthrop. They have played in various arenas in and around Boston, including the New England Sports Center in Marlboro from 2015-17.

The Blades first came to Boston in 2010, and were the first professional women’s hockey team to play in the state.

The team has celebrated two Clarkson Cup victories, in 2013 and 2015, and competed for the Cup in 2014 but lost to the Toronto Furies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I know these organizations have to pinch pennies everywhere they can, but how are you ever going to build any sort of fan loyalty or commitment if you move every couple years...and you already fly so far below the radar?

Seems like the WNBA "works" because it has the full support (including financially) of the NBA. It is thought of as a worthy investment since it spreads the game, even if it doesn't draw even on its own.

Is there any type of evidence or example of the NHL talking about committing to support of a women's hockey league in the same way? It really does feel like the only hope for women's sports trying to overcome the gigantic shadow that is corporate men's sports leagues.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I didn't know Canada had a women's professional hockey league. Wow.
The only reason I knew was because of that chick who skated into the boards and broke her neck before the winter classic.

I'm surprised they make any money as a league.

Reactions: Scruffy

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I know these organizations have to pinch pennies everywhere they can, but how are you ever going to build any sort of fan loyalty or commitment if you move every couple years...and you already fly so far below the radar?

Seems like the WNBA "works" because it has the full support (including financially) of the NBA. It is thought of as a worthy investment since it spreads the game, even if it doesn't draw even on its own.

Is there any type of evidence or example of the NHL talking about committing to support of a women's hockey league in the same way? It really does feel like the only hope for women's sports trying to overcome the gigantic shadow that is corporate men's sports leagues.

the WNBA only still exists because the NBA props it up financially

womens professional sports leagues simply arent financially viable. men arent going to watch it over the NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB, and even women dont watch it enough to support it

Reactions: McGarnagle

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The only reason I knew was because of that chick who skated into the boards and broke her neck before the winter classic.

I'm surprised they make any money as a league.

There are 2 women's leagues

Canadian Women's Hockey League (CWHL)
upload_2018-8-22_8-48-23.png

National Women's Hockey League (NWHL)
upload_2018-8-22_8-50-48.png

Bettman has indicated that IF the 2 leagues merge the NHL might offer support.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm ignorant. I thought this was an American hockey club/league. If Worcester is a good move, good for them.

So did I. I watched a few games on NESN but they stopped televising them. Did the league fold? Or combine with this one?

Never mind, I just saw Fenway's post!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why 2 leagues in the first place? IMO there's barely enough interest for one unfortunately.

USA Hockey and Hockey Canada hate each other at the women's level. The Canadian league is better funded and has a TV contract with TSN, the US network has very little exposure.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
USA Hockey and Hockey Canada hate each other at the women's level. The Canadian league is better funded and has a TV contract with TSN, the US network has very little exposure.

I knew there was bad blood between the two national teams. I had no idea that extended to their federations.

Well the for the good of the sport they need to make peace. Canada & the US are the powers in women's hockey and that probably won't change for a long time.

Reactions: Fenway

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

womens professional sports leagues simply arent financially viable. men arent going to watch it over the NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB, and even women dont watch it enough to support it

This is....exactly what I was saying. The NBA “props it up” because they view the growth of women’s sports as a benefit for its own league. Decent PR in general.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This is....exactly what I was saying. The NBA “props it up” because they view the growth of women’s sports as a benefit for its own league. Decent PR in general.

They don’t do it to “be nice”. No corporation does anything as a favor. What I am asking is “is there similar incentive for the NHL?”

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

false, you're forgetting another league, BBB...... WHO operates the Connecticut Sun.... the tribe does, the WNBA has existed for 20 years and no NBA team operates a WNBA franchise, or has financial backing in any franchise..... the closest you get to that is the Liberty and they've moved away from MSG in recent years, the other had been San Antonio until the transfer and sale to MGM/Mandalay Bay.....

the owner/operation model shifted to the G-League, THAT'S where you see more of the ownership, or in the case of the Celtics, a hybrid operation where they run the business end, they do not outright own the franchise....

that is why Sacramento, Houston, and Cleveland ceased operations, even though the Comets were the 1st dominate franchise the way Minnesota has recently.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
false, you're forgetting another league, BBB...... WHO operates the Connecticut Sun.... the tribe does, the WNBA has existed for 20 years and no NBA team operates a WNBA franchise, or has financial backing in any franchise..... the closest you get to that is the Liberty and they've moved away from MSG in recent years, the other had been San Antonio until the transfer and sale to MGM/Mandalay Bay.....

the owner/operation model shifted to the G-League, THAT'S where you see more of the ownership, or in the case of the Celtics, a hybrid operation where they run the business end, they do not outright own the franchise....

that is why Sacramento, Houston, and Cleveland ceased operations, even though the Comets were the 1st dominate franchise the way Minnesota has recently.

giphy.gif

Seven WNBA teams are associated with the NBA team from the same market and are known as sister teams. These teams include the Indiana Pacers and Fever, the Los Angeles Lakers and Sparks, the Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx, the New York Knicks and Liberty, the Phoenix Suns and Mercury, the Atlanta Hawks and the Dream, and the Washington Wizards and Mystics. Of these teams, only the Dream and the Sparks are owned separately; the Liberty may join this group as The Madison Square Garden Company, owner of the Knicks and Liberty, has put the Liberty up for sale since late 2017

Women's National Basketball Association - Wikipedia

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
giphy.gif

Seven WNBA teams are associated with the NBA team from the same market and are known as sister teams. These teams include the Indiana Pacers and Fever, the Los Angeles Lakers and Sparks, the Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx, the New York Knicks and Liberty, the Phoenix Suns and Mercury, the Atlanta Hawks and the Dream, and the Washington Wizards and Mystics. Of these teams, only the Dream and the Sparks are owned separately; the Liberty may join this group as The Madison Square Garden Company, owner of the Knicks and Liberty, has put the Liberty up for sale since late 2017

Women's National Basketball Association - Wikipedia

The NBA does own the WNBA, like it owns the developmental league. Personally I like separate ownership for the WNBA franchises, there is more incentive to make the franchise a success. What is happening to the NY Liberty now is not good for the franchise or the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad