Canadian WJC team

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

Camp coming up in mid August in Calgary. 12 retrunees, most if not all will make the team, so that leaves room for about the same number fo newcomers. Any ideas?

It looks like they will add 2 new goalkeepers, 4 or 5 defencemen, and 5 or 6 forwards.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
db23 said:
Camp coming up in mid August in Calgary. 12 retrunees, most if not all will make the team, so that leaves room for about the same number fo newcomers. Any ideas?

It looks like they will add 2 new goalkeepers, 4 or 5 defencemen, and 5 or 6 forwards.

They won't be adding 4 or 5 new D-men if everyone returns from last year. If there is no NHL season, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Braydon Coburn and Shawn Belle will all return. Expect Shea Weber, Cam Barker and Mike Green to round out the D for Canada at the 2005 World Juniors in North Dakota. It will more than likely be the first time all seven D-men have come from the WHL.

If there is an NHL season, don't expect Phaneuf or Coburn to be available for Canada. Up front, Stewart, Getzlaf and Carter could all be in the NHL if there is a season. Anthony Stewart is the most likely of the three.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's way too early to be even thinking of predicting what the team will look like. Just because of the threat of a lockout and the possibility of so many players being able to play for the team. Factor in injuries and play during the season and things can change in a hurry. Based on the roster of invitees set out right now, my best guess would be:

Goalies:
Devan Dubnyk
David Shantz

Defence:
Dion Phaneuf
Braydon Coburn
Brent Seabrook
Shawn Belle
Cam Barker
Shea Weber
Mike Green

Forwards:
Sidney Crosby
Jeff Carter
Ryan Getzlaf
Mike Richards
Nigel Dawes
Jeremy Colliton
Anthony Stewart
Andrew Ladd
Dave Bolland
Stephen Dixon - although I could see him being left off the team
Dany Roussin - a running mate for Crosby could be very likely
Kyle Chipchura - see him playing on the checking line with Bolland and Colliton
Gilbert Brule - I think he'll be added by the time the evaluation camp comes around just for the experience of the tournament.

With the group of forwards they have assembled, I could see any number of combinations end up making the team.

Every year there is a surprise or two and this year will be no different. I couldn't come up with who I thought would be a surprise pick, but I know there will be a few.

db23

HabLover said:
They won't be adding 4 or 5 new D-men if everyone returns from last year. If there is no NHL season, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Braydon Coburn and Shawn Belle will all return. Expect Shea Weber, Cam Barker and Mike Green to round out the D for Canada at the 2005 World Juniors in North Dakota. It will more than likely be the first time all seven D-men have come from the WHL.

If there is an NHL season, don't expect Phaneuf or Coburn to be available for Canada. Up front, Stewart, Getzlaf and Carter could all be in the NHL if there is a season. Anthony Stewart is the most likely of the three.

I'm assuming there will be NHL hockey by January of next year. So it is quite possible that only 2 of last year's defencemen will return. That would leave 5 vacancies. Up front there are 8 returning forwards, of whom 2 might reasonably be unavailable. That would leave another 5 vacancies up front. Top forward candidates would likely include the top draftees from this summer - Ladd, Picard, Chipchura, Wolski, and Bolland.

db23

Kritty said:
It's way too early to be even thinking of predicting what the team will look like. Just because of the threat of a lockout and the possibility of so many players being able to play for the team. Factor in injuries and play during the season and things can change in a hurry. Based on the roster of invitees set out right now, my best guess would be:

Goalies:
Devan Dubnyk
David Shantz

Defence:
Dion Phaneuf
Braydon Coburn
Brent Seabrook
Shawn Belle
Cam Barker
Shea Weber
Mike Green

Forwards:
Sidney Crosby
Jeff Carter
Ryan Getzlaf
Mike Richards
Nigel Dawes
Jeremy Colliton
Anthony Stewart
Andrew Ladd
Dave Bolland
Stephen Dixon - although I could see him being left off the team
Gilbert Brule - I think he'll be added by the time the evaluation camp comes around just for the experience of the tournament.

With the group of forwards they have assembled, I could see any number of combinations end up making the team.

Every year there is a surprise or two and this year will be no different. I couldn't come up with who I thought would be a surprise pick, but I know there will be a few.

What about Bernier, Pouliot, Fehr, Stone? Those are pretty talented players to leave off the list.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
db23 said:
What about Bernier, Pouliot, Fehr, Stone? Those are pretty talented players to leave off the list.

I dont think Canada will put a player specially for Crosby.

There are better players like Steve Bernier that can offer more to the table like size and physical play without offensive dropoff.

Not saying that Roussin doesnt deserve it but he should not be chosen just to play with Crosby

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
I would say that some forwards should be dropped in favor of some more offense:
Bernier, Roussin,Pouliot,and Patrice Bergeron should all be added up IMHO.
WE witnessed in 2 consecultive finals the lack of Canadian offense and imaginative play in favor of more grinding players and a defensive system.
It brought us to silver lining.
Time for gold with some more offensive punch.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There seem to be some awful strong opinions here but nothing to back them up.

1. Brule doesn't deserve to be there at 17. Why not? Canada has a history of bringing along 17 year olds so that they gain the experience. Brule is every bit as talented as some of the guys being mentioned. If he's a 13th forward, why not?

2. So you don't think Canada would bring along a player that would fit on a line perfectly with one it's go to guys? That's some pretty sound thinking there. Anyone who watched Roussin play this year saw that he can put the points up without Crosby. He is a very talented player and deserves to be on the team. To me it makes complete sense to put a guy on the team that can play alongside Crosby. That was part of the problem last year, there was no one he could play with and click.

3. A lack of offence? You must have been watching a different tournament than most of us. Canada had some of the most creative and offensively impressive play in the tournament. They never lost because of a lack of offensive, they lost because of a couple of bad bounces.

4. What about Bernier, Pouliot, Fehr, and Stone? Bernier is an overweight, replaceable element. There are plenty of players that can offer what he brings to the table. I'm not a Bernier fan at all. Pouliot is too injured for my liking. He has some talent but he never brings it enough because he's always hurt. Stone is not an element that Canada needs. They have plenty of offence to go around and some physical play as well. As for Fehr, it's a matter of numbers. He's a great player and one of the last I took of the team. I just felt that he lost out because of the numbers game, not playing ability.

Like I said, every year people have issues with the team that is selected. No matter what happens, people will criticize it unless the team brings home gold.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Im not against Roussen being on the team at all, as he is a talented player and would complement Crosby well. But Pouliot is the much more talented player and he brings much more to the table.
idealy they'd have the Pouliot-Crosby-Roussen line that formed from time to time for the Oceanic last year. That line would be amazing to watch.
As for Brule- I personaly think he has more then enough talent to make this team. He lead the U-17 tournament in scoring and I beleive he will have a repeat performance at the U-18 this summer. I see him leading all scorers in this tournament by a wide margin.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Kritty said:

Goalies:
Devan Dubnyk
David Shantz

Defence:
Dion Phaneuf
Braydon Coburn
Brent Seabrook
Shawn Belle
Cam Barker
Shea Weber
Mike Green

Forwards:
Sidney Crosby
Jeff Carter
Ryan Getzlaf
Mike Richards
Nigel Dawes
Jeremy Colliton

Anthony Stewart
Andrew Ladd
Dave Bolland
Stephen Dixon
- although I could see him being left off the team

The players in bold are the ones that Fehr definitely should be ahead of in line to get on the team.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
The players in bold are the ones that Fehr definitely should be ahead of in line to get on the team.

nigel dawes led team canada in scoring this year in the WJC, so how does he become one of the guys that should be bumped by fehr??

after his play in this years tourney, dawes should be an automatic for next years squad

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
My team canada if the NHL lockout is still on going

Goalies:
1)Devan Dubnyk
2) David Shantz
Defence:
1) Dion Phaneuf
2) Brent Seabrook
3) Shawn Belle
4) Braydon Coburn
5) Cam Barker
6) Shea Weber
7) Andy Rogers
Forwards:
1) Sidney Crosby
2) Mike Richards
3) Patrice Bergeron
4) Anthony Stewart
5) Nigel Dawes
6) Jeff Carter
7) Ryan Getzlaf
8) Corey Perry
9) Alexandre Picard
10) Kyle Chipchurra
11) Andrew Ladd
12) Jeremy Colliton
13) Gilbert Brule

So many other players could be on this team... here would be my lines as well
1st - Richards--Dawes--Stewart
2nd - Crosby :yo: -- Getzlaf -- Bergeron
3rd - Carter -- Perry -- Ladd
4th - Chipchurra -- Picard -- Colliton / Brule
D Pairings
1 Phaneuf-- Belle
2 Seabrook -- Coburn
3 Weber-- Barker
7th D Rogers

Goalies
1st Dubnyk
2nd Shantz

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Nigel Dawes is a beast. I'm so jealous of the Rangers with lundmark and Dawes. In fact, i'm so jealous of the rangers entire farm club. But I highly doubt sather will know what to do with them.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
chsb said:
I would say that some forwards should be dropped in favor of some more offense:
Bernier, Roussin,Pouliot,and Patrice Bergeron should all be added up IMHO.
WE witnessed in 2 consecultive finals the lack of Canadian offense and imaginative play in favor of more grinding players and a defensive system.
It brought us to silver lining.
Time for gold with some more offensive punch.

I don't see how those players offer any more offensive punch (ok- Bergeron) than those already mentioned- save maybe Colliton. It's not like those Q guys are better oggensively than Stewart, Richards, Dawes, Horton or even Corey Perry.

And last year's team was very powerful in all departments. It's not like they lacked firepower (at least the failure to get a goal against the U.S. in the 3rd period doesn't prove so- and I certainly can't see anyone saying "If only Danny Roussin would have been therer, that would've shown those Yanks!"). And they were most certainly NOT a grinding team with a defensive system- look at the scores/results of aLL the games!

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
steblick said:
I don't see how those players offer any more offensive punch (ok- Bergeron) than those already mentioned- save maybe Colliton. It's not like those Q guys are better oggensively than Stewart, Richards, Dawes, Horton or even Corey Perry.

And last year's team was very powerful in all departments. It's not like they lacked firepower (at least the failure to get a goal against the U.S. in the 3rd period doesn't prove so- and I certainly can't see anyone saying "If only Danny Roussin would have been therer, that would've shown those Yanks!"). And they were most certainly NOT a grinding team with a defensive system- look at the scores/results of aLL the games!

Have you seen them play?
How can you judge of Picard, Bernier, Pouliot or Roussin without seeing them play.
The ones already stamped as sure shots for this year were seen on national TV and they lacked the offensive punch to secure the gold.
Funny that you don't talk about the faceoffs against Russia.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
Goalies:
1)Devan Dubnyk
2) David Shantz
Defence:
1) Dion Phaneuf
2) Brent Seabrook
3) Shawn Belle
4) Braydon Coburn
5) Cam Barker
6) Shea Weber
7) Andy Rogers
Forwards:
1) Sidney Crosby
2) Mike Richards
3) Patrice Bergeron
4) Anthony Stewart
5) Nigel Dawes
6) Jeff Carter
7) Ryan Getzlaf
8) Corey Perry
9) Alexandre Picard
10) Kyle Chipchurra
11) Andrew Ladd
12) Jeremy Colliton
13) Gilbert Brule

If the lockout is still going, I would expect Nathan Horton and Brent Burns to make the team.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
chsb said:
Have you seen them play?
How can you judge of Picard, Bernier, Pouliot or Roussin without seeing them play.
The ones already stamped as sure shots for this year were seen on national TV and they lacked the offensive punch to secure the gold.
Funny that you don't talk about the faceoffs against Russia.

The same reason you judge every other player without seeing them play.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Here's what i'd like to see assuming all players of age are available:

forwards:
Stewart-Crosby-Bergeron
Richards-Getzlaf-Dawes
Ladd-Carter-Perry
Dixon-Chipchura-Colliton
Bolland

Defence:
Phaneuf-Coburn