Canadian WJ Selection Camp Roster Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Steadfast said:
Just get it over with and say you think Staal is better. Then he can reply with one of those smilies of his own.

Im not a homer like that and havn't seen any of the defensman play im not except staal in one game Im not going to say "STAAL IS THE BEST".

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
CoolDude said:
According to 29 other GM's Staal is better
What? That is a joke.

We don't know what the other guys were thinking, they didn't have a chance to grab either. How the hell can you make such a boneheaded claim?

skerbud

Feb 28, 2005
I think all are good predictions . But I also think we should be ready for a few surprises. Some are definate locks, or easy predictions. Remember that this is a new year and the make- up of the team this year isnt super star status. Hard working and heart will be the motto of this years team Canada.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
from what i saw from Dubnyk i wasnt impressed, hes shaky. To tell you the truth Pogge impressed me a lot he was very calm and cool and very square to the shooter. Also Carey Price is very composed and calm too, im sure Sutter will look into those qualities the most.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I have a gut feeling that Steve Downie will make the team and be the Jordin Tootoo type player this team always has. Steve also has good hands and can contribute offensively. Having his head straightened out in Peterborough has been a blessing for him. He's a Sutter player through and through.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
I have a gut feeling that Steve Downie will make the team and be the Jordin Tootoo type player this team always has. Steve also has good hands and can contribute offensively. Having his head straightened out in Peterborough has been a blessing for him. He's a Sutter player through and through.
I agree. Prior to the incident in Windsor I thought he was going to make the team almost for sure, and now I feel like with him having turned it around with a new organization that Sutter, who obviously liked him at the summer camp, will be willing to give him a chance. I think the selection camp will be key for him; he has to show that he really has turned over a new leaf and that he can control his temper. If he shows signs of being a risk at camp, I don't think he'll be chosen, even if Sutter wants him. We'll see how he responds, but as of now I have him tentatively pencilled in to my predicted lineup.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
The Toronto Star had these players on the roster if they were picking:
Devan Dubny
Julien Ellis
Justin Pogge
Carey Price

Cam Barker
Luc Bourdon
Mark Fistric
Michael Funk
Scott Jackson
Patrick McNeil
Sasha Pokulok
Andy Rogers
Marc Staal
Logan Stevenson

Michael Blunden
David Bolland
Dustin Boyd
Alex Bourret
Kyle Chipchura
Kris Chucko
Andrew Cogliano
Blake Comeau
Steve Downie
Anthony Esposito
G.latendresse
Bryan Little
Evan McGrath
Ryan O'Marra
Benoit Pouliot
Devin Setoguchi
Jonathan Toews
Wojtek Wolski

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Steadfast said:
Any comments on these forward lines for Team Canada?

Pouliot - Cogliano - Latendresse
Wolski - Bolland - McGrath
McArdle - Chipchura - Setoguchi
Chucko - O'Marra - Comeau

Sounds good :)

Boyd, Downie, Esposito, Bourret or Toews can be the extra man...

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i hope funk makes the final cut... i'd love to watch this guy work the powerplay and skate with the puck..

i wouldn't mind at all seeing him and barker together...

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's possible, but I think Bourret could play that role, too.

Sticky*

SpezNc said:
Sounds good :)

Boyd, Downie, Esposito, Bourret or Toews can be the extra man...

I am pretty sure that Bryan Little will be there. It just doesnt make sense to not have him there. Is a pure offensive talent.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
I will be very surprised if Rogers makes Team Canada. Maybe its been the games I have seen but his footspeed has been pretty slow and I wouldnt want him out there in a tournament like this. I would like to see Funk make it though.

As for the goalie situation I would take Pogge over Price and Dubnyk. Dubnyk lets in far too many weak goals and has been on a losing team for so long. The thing about Sutter is he doesnt seem to be influenced by where a guy was drafted so hopefully Pogge is in and first rounders, Price and Dubnyk are not.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
CoolDude said:
According to 29 other GM's Staal is better

There is something you are not understanding about an nhl draft. When 1 guy is picked before another one, it doesnt mean the other 29 gms had the same order as the 1 who picked the first of the 2.

Your sentence should be readed:

''According to 1 GM, Staal is better.''

We have no way to know about the opinion of the 29 others...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Quick question...i'm really not try to start a big bashing fest between drafted defensman, but..does Bourdon play any defense at all? I know hes an offensive defensman and all but he is a -59 in 164 games. He could be on a horrible team for all i know, just would like some info. Thanks

Again not trying to be disrespectful, not comparing him with any other drafted player considering I havn't see any of them yet on the TV.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Assuming that RDS is correct about the 7 guys invited from the Q (Latendresse, Esposito, Brassard, Bourdon, Vlasic, Letang, Ellis), this means a few guys are probably out. Obviously Bourret, which I'm a little surprised about but I guess he's had a poor start to the year, maybe Cody Bass, which is disappointing for me because I really liked his summer camp, Jeff Schultz, which is great news to me because I really didn't think he should be there anyway, and one of either Michael Funk or Andy Rogers. Of those two, I hope it's Rogers on the outside before Funk.

That leaves me thinking the selection camp will look like this now:

Price
Dubnyk
Ellis
Pogge

Barker
Bourdon
Staal
Parent
Fistric
Jackson
Russel
Vlasic
Letang
Funk

Pokoluk, Stephenson, Kohn are a few others who still might go in place of maybe Funk or maybe even Fistric, who I previously thought was a lock for the team, but I haven't been overly impressed with his play this year. I'd be pretty surprised if Stephenson or Kohn end up being named though.

Chipchura
Bolland
Pouliot
Boyd
Latendresse
Cogliano
Comeau
McCardle (unless he is hurt, how bad was his injury from the WHL Russia game?)
Wolski
Little
Downie
O'Marra
Setoguchi
McGrath
Chucko
Toews
Brassard
Esposito

Bertram, Blunden, Reddox, Kennedy, and Pyatt could still go, particularly Bertram and Blunden, but I really have no idea who to bump off for any of those guys. Maybe Hockey Canada still isn't thrilled with Setoguchi despite his great season so far? He was very surprisingly not at summer camp. Maybe McCardle is hurt? Maybe Toews is considered too young still? I would have thought he'd be ahead of Esposito in any case, but who knows.

We'll find out tomorrow.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
Quick question...i'm really not try to start a big bashing fest between drafted defensman, but..does Bourdon play any defense at all? I know hes an offensive defensman and all but he is a -59 in 164 games. He could be on a horrible team for all i know, just would like some info. Thanks

Again not trying to be disrespectful, not comparing him with any other drafted player considering I havn't see any of them yet on the TV.
He is on an awful team. From what I hear he runs around the ice trying to do too much, which might contribute as well. From Canucks camp and the summer WJ camp, he is somewhat erratic defensively, but for the most part effective. He throws some huge hits, but he also takes himself out of the play doing it sometimes. He's quite good 1 on 1 and stands guys up at the blueline well, but he also can lose track of his man and run around in his own zone a bit at times. Overall, in the context of the WJs and with a good partner and team, he should be good defensively.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
My Predictions for the Selection Camp Roster:

Goalies

Julien Ellis-Plante
Devan Dubnyk
Carey Price
Justin Pogge

Defence

Marc Staal
Luc Bourdon
Cam Barker
Ryan Parent

Mark Fistric
Kris Letang
Kris Russell
Jeff Schultz
Scott Jackson
Patrick McNeil

Forwards

Dustin Boyd
Dave Bolland
Benoit Pouliot
Ryan O'Marra
Guillaume Latendresse
Kyle Chipchura
Wojtek Wolski
Bryan Little
Alex Bourret
Andrew Cogliano

Blake Comeau
Kenndal McArdle
Evan McGrath
Devin Setoguchi
Daniel Bertram
Michael Blunden
Johnathan Toews
Kris Chucko

That was pretty tough... guys like Rogers, Downie, Funk, Esposito are real close to being on that list for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad