Canadian WJ Invitees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
You're asking the College hockey mod if she has a bias against the NCAA? lol

I think she was asking because she IS a fan of the NCAA and doesn't know the CHL as well.

And OC, I think all 3 are near locks. Each still have to win their spot, I just don't see any reason why they won't do so..

Thanks. I posed the question not so much because I don't know the CHL all that well (and I've admitted that numerous times in the past) but because I'm not familiar with Team Canada's selection process (other than the camp that have at this time of the year) also the selection committee has, in the past, had some biases against Canadian-born NCAA players.

Please note that I'm not trying to stir anything up here, just curious if those three players (whom I watch quite a bit throughout the NCAA season) will be representing Canada. Personally, I think it'd be great if they did. If they don't, that's ok too I suppose...maybe there are others who are equally or more deserving than they are.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm guessing people think McNeill's a tossup/longshot to make it?

How realistic are Perrault's chances? I know he's pretty small... but any hope?
Both were invited so there's a chance. It really depends on how much they excel during camp.

McNeil has in his favor a strong offensive game and that he's older than many outside of the returning five. I tend to think that they'll select one younger d-man and a more experienced one, but much depends on performance during camp.

As far as Perreault, the larger ice surface should play in his favor. He is very fast and shows great anticipation. That'll help him in terms of his defensive / PK game but he'll have to dislodge quite a few big names to eeke himself into the team. He'd also be eligible again next year so, either way, he will be better prepared to compete next year.

Both are possible but I couldn't say how likely.

dieseleric

Aug 17, 2006
Thanks. I posed the question not so much because I don't know the CHL all that well (and I've admitted that numerous times in the past) but because I'm not familiar with Team Canada's selection process (other than the camp that have at this time of the year) also the selection committee has, in the past, had some biases against Canadian-born NCAA players.

Please note that I'm not trying to stir anything up here, just curious if those three players (whom I watch quite a bit throughout the NCAA season) will be representing Canada. Personally, I think it'd be great if they did. If they don't, that's ok too I suppose...maybe there are others who are equally or more deserving than they are.

Yeah...they all represented Canada last year on a gold medal winning team, so barring injury though should all be back, and possibly with larger roles...especially Toews

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
All I hope is that if Toews does get selected, I hope he has good WJC and brings that back to UND with him because he's been off to a rather slow start this season. Right now, he's only got 12 points (4G, 8A), not exactly eye-popping numbers.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
That was the first year they decided to enforce the rule strictly, so Weiss was able to get away with it

I know, but I figured it partially proved the point of elite players not getting an exception.

I thought they changed this in the early 90's after the Trevor Kidd fiasco?

Or am I getting the main (december) training camp mixed up with the summer one?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Bouchard and Picard-Hooper should definitively have been invited. other who should have been invited are Mathieu Carle and Marc-André Gragnani, the canadian team doesn't seen to have an offensive dman, other than M. Staal. So Carle should at least get an invitation.

Staal isn't an offensive Dman. He'll be paired with Parent to form the best one two punch to stop the opposition's top line.

There are 5 returning Dman from last years team so there is a selection for 2 spots across the entire county. You do the math.

each year when team Canada announces their invitees or the final selection i'm pissed. last year they didn't selected Derick Brassard, i wonder how many players from Québec will be selected this time. now since Canada recognized Québec as a nation, (we knew we're a nation for a long time, but we only got recognized by Canada last week) we should have our own national team, so our bestest players would finally play in the WJC.

Am I reading this right?

As a fan. I don't give a crap where a player is born. And neither does Hockey Canada. And neither do the kids. They put the sweater on and do their best. Sweat Jesus you're actually going along with Harper's political crap?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Um, Harper was the one in the suit saying that Quebec would NEVER get their own team.

I was referring to Harper proposing to give Quebec their "special" status in the first place.

Lets try and not get off track on the topic. Hockey is one of the few things that can unite this country.

I shouldn't have responded to the comment in the first place but it was as dumb as saying that hockey canada has a bias against Polish born players cause 1st rounder Wolski wasn't invited last year. The only thing hockey canada is concerned about is winning.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Realistically speaking...what are Cogliano,Toews and Bertram chances of actually making the team?

(and please spare me the smart-alec answers)
Contrary to some, I wouldn't necessarily assume that they're ALL locks. Cogliano and Toews have to be about as close to it as is possible, however. And while it would definitely constitute a serious "surprise" if any other returnee didn't make it, I'd probably pick on Bertram as one guy who might be in the most danger in that category. There are quite a few candidates coming in who can play bottom-line roles on the team, and I suppose if a Marchand or Cliche or Helm or Bass absolutely blew away Bertram's showing in the camp, well, he wouldn't quite be in the absolute "lock" category even as a returning veteran if I was picking the team. But it would still surprise me a lot if he didn't make it.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Bouchard and Picard-Hooper should definitively have been invited. other who should have been invited are Mathieu Carle and Marc-André Gragnani, the canadian team doesn't seen to have an offensive dman, other than M. Staal. So Carle should at least get an invitation.
The only name on that list that I could see as a reasonable alternate candidate for an invitation (at a stretch, mind you) would be Gragnani. Is he healthy at the moment, btw (noticed he got hurt against the Russians). But with 6 essential locks on D (Bourdon, Letang, Staal, Parent, Russell, Franson), I think it really would be a good idea to take a younger guy in the final spot, be it Alzner, Ellerby, or Doughty, whoever fits best and shows best in camp.

I would also suggest that Russell, followed by Bourdon/Letang/Franson would probably carry more offensive expectations than Staal. As for Carle... he didn't look like he could keep up with the Russian "B" squad in the recent series, and personally, I would probably be inclined to rate not just the 12 actual invitees, but also a few others like John Degray, Ty Wishart, Scott Jackson, Gragnani, possibly Denny and Ellington ahead of him. At best I could see him 18th-20th on the list, but that would be very much in a mixed group of "afterthoughts".

Picard-Hooper wouldn't even be that close, IMO. Bouchard would have surprised me if he had been invited, but then Perreault was going to surprise me too, and at least he's there, so it comes out to a net gain for Quebec hopefuls, IMO.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I know Canada has a nice group of defensemen. However, I was wondering why Matt Corrente wasn't invited? He had a great camp with the Devils this past September.

Could it be the so-called incident he and a few of his teammates from his junior team had.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I know Canada has a nice group of defensemen. However, I was wondering why Matt Corrente wasn't invited? He had a great camp with the Devils this past September.

Could it be the so-called incident he and a few of his teammates from his junior team had.
Good question... I haven't followed the situation at all... could he be disallowed from travelling overseas pending anything from that? He wasn't even playing against the Russians. I didn't think he looked very composed at the WU-18 last year, was he at the summer camp?

iamcaper

I am a little bit suprised that James Sheppard didn't get an invite, I guess he didn't produce enough this year.

I'm very surprised Sheppard isn't there! He was a late addition to the team because he spent the first part of the season at NHL camp. He also hasn't been playing with the Eagles top line but is sharing top line duties with his own linemates.

That said, the guy is a workhorse and is the most valuable player on the Eagles roster, despite what the statistics say.

He would have at least deserved an invite. But, again, there are so many talented players to choose from so there are going to be some top talent guys left behind.

Canada should have two teams.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
All I hope is that if Toews does get selected, I hope he has good WJC and brings that back to UND with him because he's been off to a rather slow start this season. Right now, he's only got 12 points (4G, 8A), not exactly eye-popping numbers.

At least Cogs is going into camp hot. 5g in his 2 games this weekend was very nice to see :) If he can bring that to camp, he could well grab a top line spot.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

I don't even think he played a game in the Canada/Russia series.

Spirit fans have been disappointed in is play this year. Some players have a more difficult time going back to junior - can't say it's because of an attitude because I don't know. Anyways, he wasn't on the radar this year and the so-called incident sealed the deal as far as him participating. There is always next year.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Hockey Canada generally looks past them and gives players an opportunity to redeem themselvs (Fleury, Bertuzzi, Downie to name a few), that probably isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad