GDT: Canadian West Side Story, eh? 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After looking at it again, that third goal on Dell wasn't really stoppable. I guess on initial look, I thought it went in on him somewhere else that it really didn't. The Vlasic goal on Hellebuyck was really ugly on second look though.

My theory as to why Dell isn't that good this year is one of two things. Either he doesn't play enough and if he did play more, either his play on the eyes would look a lot worse or his play on paper would improve and his save percentage wouldn't be in the toilet.

Or he's just not as good as he was the last two years (while not being as bad as he is this year) and that his stature is also causing a lot of goals to go in on him that hit most other goalies, as most other goalies take up more space in either height or width than he does. He looks really tiny in net. So there's probably a goal at least every 2-3 that he appears to have no chance, that most goalies with more stature and girth are probably stopping.

That said, I said he wouldn't maintain .930% over the long term like his first 30 or whatever games and at least one person asked me ''How do you know?'' as if that was a shockingly bold prediction. Turns out he isn't even putting up those kinds of numbers as a backup anymore.

Korpisalo is another sparsely used backup this year, who looks great on my eye test, but has a poor save percentage. Are Korpisalo and Dell two of the best goalies in the league this year? I think that it's safe to say and conclude probably not. I think I'd punch myself if I even told that joke to myself.:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What if I told you that this team, that’s playing so well and knocking off opponents right and left, would, in the next few weeks, trade several bags of high quality picks for Erik Karlsson and Evander Kane?

I mean, it’s ridiculous.
Injury's always help the younger players who get more ice time and experience than they would have otherwise received. It's actually good that Ryan might now get some time to get his game in order.... hoping of course that Simeks injury is minor and he's only out a week or so.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I have to check my own bias. Was wondering if Sorensen was worth 1.5 million/season and then see that he is on track for a 20-goal season. Only in fantasy land will a player with those numbers sign for under a million.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
To be fair, the Karlsson trade also took two liabilities off the ice for San Jose

Right, but the bigger point is we’re playing incredibly well and we’re missing a top line forward and a top 3 defenseman in the world.

It’s, uh, nice.

My only concern remains the 4th line. Haley has been okay but... I was on the fence about dropping Donskoi down, but considering how well Joe’s line has played. I think Karlsson - Goodrow - Donskoi is a pretty good 4th line.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Right, but the bigger point is we’re playing incredibly well and we’re missing a top line forward and a top 3 defenseman in the world.

It’s, uh, nice.

My only concern remains the 4th line. Haley has been okay but... I was on the fence about dropping Donskoi down, but considering how well Joe’s line has played. I think Karlsson - Goodrow - Donskoi is a pretty good 4th line.

I get the feeling Donskoi is the odd man out when Kane gets back unfortunately. Pete’s infatuation with Haley is mind boggling

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
To be fair, the Karlsson trade also took two liabilities off the ice for San Jose

I remember when the Sharks had their poor start early in the season, Ottawa fans tried to convince me that a big part of San Jose’s struggles were because they were missing two useful young players in Chris Tierney and Dylan DeMelo. :help:

That was all but confirmed in Minnesota. I fully expect Haley to play some playoff games instead of Donskoi.

I don’t think that’s likely. We went through this in 2017 with Haley who played more games than Meier or Sorensen in the regular season, but was scratched in every playoff game.

Last edited:

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I don’t think that’s likely. We went through this in 2017 with Haley who played more games than Meier or Sorensen in the regular season, but was scratched in every playoff game.

Haley also hasn’t played the 3rd period in close games from what I’ve seen. That should tell us all we need to know about whether DeBoer would play him over Donskoi in the playoffs. I’m not concerned about him playing in the playoffs.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Haley also hasn’t played the 3rd period in close games from what I’ve seen. That should tell us all we need to know about whether DeBoer would play him over Donskoi in the playoffs. I’m not concerned about him playing in the playoffs.

But donskoi has also been benched in the 3rd periods also.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
The Minnesota game is the only one I recall. DeBoer usually plays Donskoi in the 3rd. Unless he makes a mistake then DeBoer has a short leash on him. DeBoer isn’t dumb enough to bench a near 15 goal scorer in the playoffs for a guy he has historically already shown an unwillingness to play in the playoffs in Haley.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wish I had been paying more attention last night, because I totally forgot I've had this excerpt graphic from the Athletic's NHL player poll sitting on my desktop, waiting for a Winnipeg game.

RoadCity.JPG

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Reno is funny because people almost universally totally misunderstand the climate. I was on the phone with someone from Chicago a few weeks ago, and he's like "I hear it's pretty cold over there too?" and I go "Well, I mean, it's 30 degrees out and snowing, but I don't consider that particularly cold" and he goes "oh, yah, it's like -30 out here... and kind of trails off". Then in the summer people are always going "Oh man, i bet its hot out there!" and I'm like, "no, not really, it rarely gets over 100 here"

It's like half the year they think Reno is Vegas, and the other half the year they it's siberia.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So no one else is allowed to be benched for poor play? Donskoi has not scored since January 10th. He needs a bit of a wake up call to get his game going again. Letting him go on status quo is not going to make things any better.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So no one else is allowed to be benched for poor play? Donskoi has not scored since January 10th. He needs a bit of a wake up call to get his game going again. Letting him go on status quo is not going to make things any better.

Not saying he should be let off the hook. But haley is not the only one that gets benched in the 3rd period.

And i have a feeling come playoff time it will be between donskoi and haley for that final 4th line spot. And i dont trust deboer.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Imagine if Couture becomes great again. This team is firing but we still have players who can improve more or come back and give us impact. Couture can improve, Nyquist settles in to the team, Kane can come back and dominate, EK can just be himself, Vlasic can step up still defensively, Jones can get hot.. Even without most these things, we have still beaten the Jets, the Blues, Calgary not long ago... Just need the stars to align now.

[Edit] We have now become the second favourite for the cup with the bookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->