Canadian TV coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerpaul*

:shakehead Though I'm a Torontonian, it's becoming hard to pull for Team Canada. The gushing for every player, after they make a pass or a hit(from team Canada), is embarrassing. I'm talking about Pierre McGuire, the TSN color analyst. He's describing the game like there is only 1 team playing out there. If you watch the American coverage of the American Juniors, the TV coverage is much less "homer" than the Canadian...they actually talk about the other team and don't gush all over "THEIR players". Also, don't crown the Canadians as gold medal winners yet. The Americans are very good. They have great team speed, excellant skill levels and work tirelessly all game. I'm a little conserned about Montoya. He has played average/to below average at Michigan this year and so far in the WJT. I'm sure if the other Gold medal contenders watched a Canada gave with the TSN announcers, they would roll their eyes because of the unbelievable homerism. :)

MontrealSF

Lars Eller.
Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, PQ
Visit site
I definitely agree. I was watching TSN yesterday and Pierre McGuire was raving about the way Jeff Carter scored his goal, about how he's impossible to stop and everything. Dammit, it was just the Swedish player who didn't make the effort of stoping Carter. It was not a good play by Jeff but a bad play by the Swedish...

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Well, let's see here. We have Canadian hosts describing Canada's favorite game full of Canadian prospects to a predominantly Canadian audience. I don't see any problem with it.

If another team could keep a score closer than 6-0, 5-0 (pre-tourney), 7-2 and 8-1 maybe they would warrant some discussion, but right now they do not.

And as for the Americans, they had to rally in the third to beat the Swiss. I still think they are the second best team in the tourney, but I think I have to turn your statement around (first post) and say don't be so quick to put the Americans in the Canadians class just yet. It may be a little bit of homer favoritism (OK, a lot!) but if Canada and the USA were to play tonite I would feel fairly comfortable betting the farm on Canada at this point. Of course, we'll have to wait and see. Thats what they play the games for!!

Last edited:

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Its hard to rave about players on a team losing 8 to 1. Yes I find it annoying to, but they do rave about other players when they make great plays. I am sure when we play a more even team like Russia and USA they will rave about some of their players. But really in a 8 to 1 game, how many swedes were to rave about?

Feb 24, 2004
They were talking about Heino-Linberg being a good goalie, about soderberg(sp) trying hard. The thing is, these teams don't warrant discussion because they have been awful so far. If they were decent, and their players were decent, McGuire would sure as hell say something. The thing is, Mcguire still talks about them, but instead of complimenting, he insults, as was the case with Rboert Nilson of the Swedes, who decided not to show up.

beerpaul*

:dunno: It is hard to rave about a team that's losing 8-1, but my real problem with PM is his "way over the board gushing" for any Canadian player who even touches the puck. If, for example, Sea Weber skated with the puck, turned and passed it off to his teammate...PM would have to gush..."what a great play...he's thinking, changed plans, made the pass...etc. Let's see if he gushes about the Russians or Americans(if/when he calls their game) when they make ACTUAL great plays. :yo:
MentalPowerHouse said:
Its hard to rave about players on a team losing 8 to 1. Yes I find it annoying to, but they do rave about other players when they make great plays. I am sure when we play a more even team like Russia and USA they will rave about some of their players. But really in a 8 to 1 game, how many swedes were to rave about?

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I was thinking much of the same thing about McGuire.

He talks down to everyone, especially us viewers, and makes himself sound so much more important than everyone else:

- did he really have to explain Phaneuf and Getzlaf(I think it was him) switching at the point on the 5 on 3 so that their sticks would be inverted? Then he had to point it out again ten seconds later!

- shut up about the two line pass thing. We get it. "I had several assist. GMs call me to say "maybe you have something there Pierre". It's as if he's just come up with some brilliant plan to save hockey.

- shut up about the sticks. we know.

Larionov Fan

Dec 30, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
HF2002 said:
I was thinking much of the same thing about McGuire.

He talks down to everyone, especially us viewers, and makes himself sound so much more important than everyone else:

- did he really have to explain Phaneuf and Getzlaf(I think it was him) switching at the point on the 5 on 3 so that their sticks would be inverted? Then he had to point it out again ten seconds later!

- shut up about the two line pass thing. We get it. "I had several assist. GMs call me to say "maybe you have something there Pierre". It's as if he's just come up with some brilliant plan to save hockey.

- shut up about the sticks. we know.

I think this sentiment is reflected by many many many viewers. It's a shame too, because i do enjoy Bob McKenzie, Gord and the others. But as soon as Bob asks Pierre who his "monster" was, i'll watch the tv guide channel if need be.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Larionov Fan said:
I think this sentiment is reflected by many many many viewers. It's a shame too, because i do enjoy Bob McKenzie, Gord and the others. But as soon as Bob asks Pierre who his "monster" was, i'll watch the tv guide channel if need be.

I agree on McKenzie, who has some real insights to share. Gord is ok but in combination with Pierre, the coverage has been absolutely brutal in so many respects I don't even want to go there - they have already been explored in the threads on some of his more inane comments. Suffice it to say that I have taken to watching the games with the sound off. Sad when you think about it.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nothing new

TSN has been less than subjective with its announcing for many years. Usally the benefactors have been the Toronto Maple Leafs (Toronto Sports Network). I can tell you that Western Canada always jokes about the homerism on Leaf games (and we only get Leaf games).

The only network that comes close to matching this degree of homerism is the CBC main crew with Cole, Neale, and Cherry. There love of the Leafs is laughable.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
You guys remember how Ron Wilson was on TSN for a little while, but then the Sharks hired him?

I think since then, Mcguire's been trying to get a job in the NHL somewhere by stuffing his coaching insight down our throats.. Sometimes it's just painfull obvious to me, when he starts saying what he would do if he was the coach of that particular team.

Ofcourse in my humble opinion, Mcguire would have a better job being hired by an NHL team if he stayed away from discussing hockey heh..

Anyone else think Mcguire is pitching for a coaching job when he's doing these games?

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
membleypeg said:
TSN has been less than subjective with its announcing for many years. Usally the benefactors have been the Toronto Maple Leafs (Toronto Sports Network). I can tell you that Western Canada always jokes about the homerism on Leaf games (and we only get Leaf games).

The only network that comes close to matching this degree of homerism is the CBC main crew with Cole, Neale, and Cherry. There love of the Leafs is laughable.

I've heard this story a lot of times, but I don't know where you guys get this idea from.. Mcguire was talking about how Leafs have no chance at the cup before the playoffs, and I don't think the rest of TSN said anything at all..

CBC is probably a bit homeristic, but the only homerism I see is when Cole and Neale get genuinly excited when Leafs score.. I think they try to sound objective when doing the games..

The biggest homer is probably Joe Bowen, but he's a local commentator..

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
The biggest homer is probably Joe Bowen, but he's a local commentator..
At least he admits it. Thank god I never have to hear him.

That said, the duo in Ottawa is no better. They actually work for the Sens (unless there was a recent change in that set up).

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I have found some of his comments mean spirited and I like the guy. His comments about Nilsson were beyond the pale, and he needs to get off the Parise draft thingy before he dies there. Exceptional analysis, but alot of clutter.

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
i can't agree more with the post that started this thread.

i don't mind the canadian homerism. if there's one thing we can and should brag about, its our hockey culture. usually, we're pretty reserved as a nation.

that said. where's the rest of the tourney coverage? :dunno: this is a world - not a canadian - event. there's so many good young prospects at this tourney and they've rarely been covered. everything gets lost in a sea of canadian rhetoric. the profiles (team/player) are tired and predictable. dissapointing.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Lowetide said:
I have found some of his comments mean spirited and I like the guy. His comments about Nilsson were beyond the pale, and he needs to get off the Parise draft thingy before he dies there. Exceptional analysis, but alot of clutter.

Its funny how all of his hockey knowledge sticks in everyones head. He know his stuff and he wants people to know who has done a good job in the hockey industry, I enjoy it, but I agree sometimes he gets annoying, he's a very knowledgable man though.

koivu_11

Mar 17, 2004
Chilliwack, BC
Omniscient Gadfly said:
i can't agree more with the post that started this thread.

i don't mind the canadian homerism. if there's one thing we can and should brag about, its our hockey culture. usually, we're pretty reserved as a nation.

that said. where's the rest of the tourney coverage? :dunno: this is a world - not a canadian - event. there's so many good young prospects at this tourney and they've rarely been covered. everything gets lost in a sea of canadian rhetoric. the profiles (team/player) are tired and predictable. dissapointing.

The last time I checked, TSN was Canadian, so of course they are going to show Canada's games. But what do you want them to do, show every single round robin game? Get serious. TSN is doing a great job showing us Canada's games and even games that don't involve Canada.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
koivu_11 said:
The last time I checked, TSN was Canadian, so of course they are going to show Canada's games. But what do you want them to do, show every single round robin game? Get serious. TSN is doing a great job showing us Canada's games and even games that don't involve Canada.

I think he means more along the lines of the non-game coverage. For instance, I didn't watch the preview show this year, but I remember the one two years ago. There was a 10 minutish segment on the Italian community in Toronto that Carlo C. was from, while they spent about 30 seconds total talking about Russia and Finland, and their top-level prospects (Ovechkin, Lehtonen, Pitkanen).

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah like there aren't Italian communities outside Canada :shakehead

And notice how this year it's all about Crosby? Like what the hell, yes we know he's an awesome player, but we don't need to hear about it during the intermissions of games he's involved in.

As for not having any info on other prospects in the tourny besides our own, there are other games on TSN. Like for example, Finland Sweden... these games are on TSN.

As for PM, it's just sickening how he gets off over how good the Canadian prospects are. Seriously dude, lower the homerism.

Anyone miss Paul Romanuk? I love watching the Spengler Cup games this year because he's biased as he should be being a commentator for a canadian network, but he also gives us facts about the other players on other countries as well.
Gotta love... "Canada. Fifth year in a row." or something to that extent. Anyone know why he left TSN?

beerpaul*

:dunno: Can't we just find an announcer who will just call the game...without obvious homerism? Someone like a Foster Hewitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad