Canadian Thanksgiving

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
We all know just how popular football is on American Thanksgiving. But why can't NHL try making this a thing on Canadian Thanksgiving?

We have 7 Canadian teams. Why not have 2 face off Sunday night, 4 face off Monday afternoon/evening, and the other could get either a Sunday afternoon or Monday night game.

Just seems like it makes too much sense to me. Hockey and Thanksgiving seems like it would be a great tradition for Canadians.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We all know just how popular football is on American Thanksgiving. But why can't NHL try making this a thing on Canadian Thanksgiving?

We have 7 Canadian teams. Why not have 2 face off Sunday night, 4 face off Monday afternoon/evening, and the other could get either a Sunday afternoon or Monday night game.

Just seems like it makes too much sense to me. Hockey and Thanksgiving seems like it would be a great tradition for Canadians.

Why not?

Cause the ROC already gets enough Leaf coverage :teach2:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
They should schedule it as
Sunday night.. Jets vs Canucks
Monday Habs vs Leafs, Oilers vs Flames
Alternate locations...
2020, Jets at Canucks, Leafs at Habs, Oilers at Flames.
2021 switch, Canucks at Jets, Habs at Leafs, Flames at Oilers
2022 switch... and so on

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

There are 4 games at 1 EST, another at 3, another at 5 and another at 8:30 today.

What's the issue?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
There's a lot of scheduling "would be good idea" situations in the NHL. It just shows the basic marketing flaws in the NHL.

We should have
- opening day: 15 NHL games, virtually every team gets to play
- Canadian Thanksgiving: full Canadian schedule, mostly all Canadian matchups
- American Thanksgiving: most American rivals play each other. Full slate of games throughout the day.
Closing day: again, as many teams play as possible, some playoff seeds would still be determined.

It just all makes sense.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's saying there should be more Canadian matchups. I also see nothing televised here in Edmonton all day until the Oilers game.
Wild vs Sens at 1 on TSN
Ducks vs Bruins at 1 on SN

Maybe they have less Canadian teams playing so they can be with family...and just watch hockey.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Like you said it makes too much sense. Not expecting Bettman or the league to do it.

Reactions: Omark

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Ah today is Columbus Day in the US. I was a little confused on these early US team matchups today.

And yes, I would think Canadian Thanksgiving would be something they could make more of.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Ah today is Columbus Day in the US. I was a little confused on these early US team matchups today.

And yes, I would think Canadian Thanksgiving would be something they could make more of.

The thing is people in the US haven't celebrated Columbus Day in like 20 years. We're all at work while our teams are playing. Unless you are a teacher maybe.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Yah I like the idea of the big rivalries playing. Oil/Flames,. Leafs/Ottawa, Habs/Boston?, Jets/?, Canucks/?

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Alternate locations...
2022 switch... and so on

No love for Sens huh? :laugh:

Reactions: Dache

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Alternate locations...
2022 switch... and so on

Sans Sens...

Let Toronto play Saturday and sit, since they are on every HNIC anyway.

Reactions: BatVader

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's not a bad idea, but don't expect something as special as football on a holiday. You can tune in and watch hockey every night, and your favorite team every other night. Football is inherently more suited to special occasions like holidays, because the games are more special.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
It's not a bad idea, but don't expect something as special as football on a holiday. You can tune in and watch hockey every night, and your favorite team every other night. Football is inherently more suited to special occasions like holidays, because the games are more special.
What? :huh:

Serious question...do Canadians gather with family and eat a big dinner?
Nope... we all run around naked eating raw polar bear meat from sticks, while chanting prayers to the snow goddess in french....????????

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Leafs rarely play home matinees or Sundays and they're where the buck stops. They did play an away game last Thanksgiving Sunday against Chicago.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
There's a lot of scheduling "would be good idea" situations in the NHL. It just shows the basic marketing flaws in the NHL.

We should have
- opening day: 15 NHL games, virtually every team gets to play
- Canadian Thanksgiving: full Canadian schedule, mostly all Canadian matchups
- American Thanksgiving: most American rivals play each other. Full slate of games throughout the day.
Closing day: again, as many teams play as possible, some playoff seeds would still be determined.

It just all makes sense.

The NHL doesn't want to schedule games against one of the biggest Football days of the year. It makes sense to not schedule Hockey that day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->