OT: Canadian Tennis

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No doubt.

I wonder if anybody in the media will bother to bring up her history. She was disqualified from a US Open a few years back for threatening an umpire.
She has a history of this kind of thing...how does that not play into how she was treated? It does of course but it doesnt fit the narrative she is trying to spin. I am just waiting for an NGO to take up the sexism banner and run with it.
I forgot about this and no I haven't seen this. Just a lot of women backing her claiming sexism and all that crap. How the hell is it sexism when she's playing another female?

Male or female I love seeing people penalized for ridiculous outbursts.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I forgot about this and no I haven't seen this. Just a lot of women backing her claiming sexism and all that crap. How the hell is it sexism when she's playing another female?

Male or female I love seeing people penalized for ridiculous outbursts.

I agree.

The sexism thing is just sad...sad because its a fallacy and sad because it gains so much traction.
Hopefully someone will highlight that Serena is a liar because she was adamant that she never receives coaching during a match and yet her coach says he coaches all the time (as does every coach) from the stands.

She is such a hypocrite but as usual these days rather than being accountable you can just throw up the sexism/racism card and misdirect form the real issue at hand. That strategy always gets traction it seems.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I agree.

The sexism thing is just sad...sad because its a fallacy and sad because it gains so much traction.
Hopefully someone will highlight that Serena is a liar because she was adamant that she never receives coaching during a match and yet her coach says he coaches all the time (as does every coach) from the stands.

She is such a hypocrite but as usual these days rather than being accountable you can just throw up the sexism/racism card and misdirect form the real issue at hand. That strategy always gets traction it seems.

Maybe Someone should play the clip to Serena when she berated a female umpire in an US open final years ago, she talked down to her, told her not to speak with her and called her ugly and basically threatened her with "if we're walking down the same hall you better walk the other way" I guess its ok if you are part of the girl club? Can a man call a woman ugly in public? a loser? just asking for a friend.

Did it really take only 7 years for the west to lose their damn minds so quickly? Nobody was defending her in this clip, not even the media.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
After finally seeing the match and the incident in its entirety I’m convinced this all occurred because Serena is a very sore loser. It pains me to say this because I’m a big fan of hers.

She was getting beaten soundly by Osaka. That doesn’t happen very often to her and may be the reason her coach was coaching from the box when he may normally not do it. There seems little doubt those hand signals were telling her to start moving forward which she did start doing following the signals.

I think her meltdown was due to frustration of not having an answer to Osaka. I also think she was looking for an excuse to blame the loss on and a fight with the umpire makes it easier for her to rationalize than the fact that Osaka was better than her.

She’s been so dominant over the years that it’s easy to forget stuff like this has happened to her in the past and those incidents have been ugly too. She flips out when she loses and embarrasses herself.

I think it’s just as offensive that she brought up the sexism stuff too. I don’t know for sure if there is an issue on the women’s tour or not. There may well be but the middle of the women’s final of US Open wasn’t the time to address it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
After finally seeing the match and the incident in its entirety I’m convinced this all occurred because Serena is a very sore loser. It pains me to say this because I’m a big fan of hers.

She was getting beaten soundly by Osaka. That doesn’t happen very often to her and may be the reason her coach was coaching from the box when he may normally not do it. There seems little doubt those hand signals were telling her to start moving forward which she did start doing following the signals.

I think her meltdown was due to frustration of not having an answer to Osaka. I also think she was looking for an excuse to blame the loss on and a fight with the umpire makes it easier for her to rationalize than the fact that Osaka was better than her.

She’s been so dominant over the years that it’s easy to forget stuff like this has happened to her in the past and those incidents have been ugly too. She flips out when she loses and embarrasses herself.

I think it’s just as offensive that she brought up the sexism stuff too. I don’t know for sure if there is an issue on the women’s tour or not. There may well be but the middle of the women’s final of US Open wasn’t the time to address it.

I completely agree with this and I want to especially emphasize the bolded which is very insightful and IMO right on the mark.

Let me just add that IMO the smart and truly strong woman (the real feminist) will distance herself as far as possible from Serena Williams.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Had to bump this thread with Raonic making it to the quarter finals at the Aussie Open.

Raonic is playing excellent tennis so far.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Very impressive against Zverev the other night. Gets Pouille tonight. 3-0 lifetime against him and he’s never lost a set. Looking good to make it to the semis.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Very impressive against Zverev the other night. Gets Pouille tonight. 3-0 lifetime against him and he’s never lost a set. Looking good to make it to the semis.

It really was. From a match up point of view I thought that Zverev would be a big challenge for Raonic. I wasnt surprised that Raonic won but I was blown away by how dominant he was.

Assuming he makes it that far (and he should) the real barometer will be in the Semis against Djokovic.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It really was. From a match up point of view I thought that Zverev would be a big challenge for Raonic. I wasnt surprised that Raonic won but I was blown away by how dominant he was.

Assuming he makes it that far (and he should) the real barometer will be in the Semis against Djokovic.
I’m sure he’s not looking past Pouille and ahead to Djokovic but I wonder how he appraoaches that match if it happens. So much has changed for him in the last couple seasons, especially the injuries. I think it really bugged him how much Djokovic was like a brick wall to him. He figured out how to beat other guys but not him and I think that got into his head a bit. I wonder if he’ll be more relaxed for this match in light of what he’s had to come back from or if he’ll keep allowing him to get into his head?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m sure he’s not looking past Pouille and ahead to Djokovic but I wonder how he appraoaches that match if it happens. So much has changed for him in the last couple seasons, especially the injuries. I think it really bugged him how much Djokovic was like a brick wall to him. He figured out how to beat other guys but not him and I think that got into his head a bit. I wonder if he’ll be more relaxed for this match in light of what he’s had to come back from or if he’ll keep allowing him to get into his head?

Its going to be interesting for sure. Raonic has improved his serve placement and net play since they played last.
Curious to see how much difference that will make.

Dont want to look too far ahead though. :D

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Djokovic isn’t a lock to beat his opponent either. He didn’t play great against Shapo, but Shapo played poorly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Djokovic isn’t a lock to beat his opponent either. He didn’t play great against Shapo, but Shapo played poorly.

Shapo isnt ready to challenge players like Djokovic yet. His game is too raw and reckless. Way too inconsistent. He is easy to beat if you just put balls in play because he usually makes an unforced error.
He is trying to win on talent alone instead of playing a more intelligent style.
Hopefully that will come in a year or 2.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Shapo isnt ready to challenge players like Djokovic yet. His game is too raw and reckless. Way too inconsistent. He is easy to beat if you just put balls in play because he usually makes an unforced error.
He is trying to win on talent alone instead of playing a more intelligent style.
Hopefully that will come in a year or 2.

I agree.

Just saying not to assume that Raonic will face Novak even if Raonic gets through.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Didn’t the Oilers already do that? ;)

Nah...my expectations are very low for this team at this point. :nod:

Good timing that the Aussie open is on right now...unlike this team it is actually entertaining :D

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Nishikori plays Djokovic pretty tough. It wouldn’t be the biggest surprise in tennis if he beat him.

I cheer for Shapovalov because he’s Canadian but the more I watch him the harder it is for me to like him. He needs to figure out how to get his emotions in control. When he’s playing well he goes overboard and starts rubbing it in to his opponents. I’ve seen guys get so pissed off with him that it’s inspired them to come back and beat him. When things aren’t going well it’s like he starts pouting and just pounding the ball with no thought or effort to where it might be going. They made a comment in his match with Djokovic that he “just missed his shot by ten feet for the fifteenth time today”. Hard for me to judge Djokovic’s game in a match against a player who was so uncompetitive or even serious that day.

Reactions: guymez and Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nishikori plays Djokovic pretty tough. It wouldn’t be the biggest surprise in tennis if he beat him.

I cheer for Shapovalov because he’s Canadian but the more I watch him the harder it is for me to like him. He needs to figure out how to get his emotions in control. When he’s playing well he goes overboard and starts rubbing it in to his opponents. I’ve seen guys get so pissed off with him that it’s inspired them to come back and beat him. When things aren’t going well it’s like he starts pouting and just pounding the ball with no thought or effort to where it might be going. They made a comment in his match with Djokovic that he “just missed his shot by ten feet for the fifteenth time today”. Hard for me to judge Djokovic’s game in a match against a player who was so uncompetitive or even serious that day.

Although it should be noted Shapo is still very young.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Although it should be noted Shapo is still very young.

He is only 19 years old but when you compare him to other young players his age like Tsitsipas its clear just how far Shapo has to go to be a real threat.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He is only 19 years old but when you compare him to other young players his age like Tsitsipas its clear just how far Shapo has to go to be a real threat.

This is true. The very elite generally show it even at a young age. Tsitsipas is a phenom though.

Reactions: guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes he is and I try to keep that in mind. My problem is I watch a lot of tennis and I see a lot of players like him. Most don’t change what they are as they get older.

I wish you could somehow combine Raonic and Shapo into one player. Because that would be a Top 5 player.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think that Shapo needs a new coach to help him get to the next level.

I hope so. Right now it looks like he could end up being a Taylor Hall of tennis. He might win a slam or two but his skills and processing might just be not quite elite enough in any one specific area to let him win consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad