OT: Canadian Tennis

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Can someone who understands the tennis tour better than me explain why they would enact the heat protocol for the women’s matches but not the men’s matches. Two days in a row that they’ve done this but I’ve yet to hear an explanation on why they’d do it for the women but not the men.

Edit: Got the answer to this question finally today. The men don’t have this rule on the tour like the women do, although they are allowing a ten minute break following the third set today. From the way it was being worded yesterday, it seemed to me that they thought the heat was just more extreme for the women than it was for the men.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can someone who understands the tennis tour better than me explain why they would enact the heat protocol for the women’s matches but not the men’s matches. Two days in a row that they’ve done this but I’ve yet to hear an explanation on why they’d do it for the women but not the men.

Edit: Got the answer to this question finally today. The men don’t have this rule on the tour like the women do, although they are allowing a ten minute break following the third set today. From the way it was being worded yesterday, it seemed to me that they thought the heat was just more extreme for the women than it was for the men.

I agree...especially when you consider that the men are playing best of 5 matches and the women are only playing best of 3 matches. Doesnt make sense to me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wozniacki sure looked awful. I was pulling for the upset, but Tsurenko sure had some brutal shots.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was watching US Open yesterday and the camera footage was abysmal. Not sure if it was the hot and muggy conditions or if TSN cameras were f***ed but on serves and volleys you could literally see the ball stop motion. Very jerky frames per minute. It was literally impossible to watch. It was like that for the entire telecast. I checked back a few times. This was on Shaw btw but only that coverage was having the jerky streaming. other channels were fine. I'd never seen that before.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Some excellent Tennis on the Worlds biggest tennis stage this past week.

Raonic is playing tomorrow at approx 3:00 tomorrow on TSN 2.
Should be a good match as he is playing a player of similar style in Isner.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So...that was an interesting US Open Final.
Gotta feel bad for Osaka winning under that cloud, and for Serena for coming undone.

100%

Serenas little tantrum/meltdown was embarrassing. Playing the victim and all.
Give me a break.

At least she pulled it together in the trophy presentation and allowed Osaka to have a little joy from her impressive win.

The bottom line for me...Osaka was the better player in this match. Period.
She is a very deserving champion.

We wont hear the end of this though. I fully expect Serena to play the poor little victim role to the hilt. I wont be surprised if she makes this a discrimination against women thing which unfortunately and undeservedly will play really well in the media and public.

Reactions: shoop

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
100%

Serenas little tantrum/meltdown was embarrassing. Playing the victim and all.
Give me a break.

At least she pulled it together in the trophy presentation and allowed Osaka to have a little joy from her impressive win.

The bottom line for me...Osaka was the better player in this match. Period.
She is a very deserving champion.

We wont hear the end of this though. I fully expect Serena to play the poor little victim role to the hilt. I wont be surprised if she makes this a discrimination against women thing which unfortunately and undeservedly will play really well in the media and public.
I missed the match today as I had the wrong starting time. I was looking forward to it. I caught the two minute or so video that ESPN is showing on their site. Do you know what led to this? The commentators said very little about whatever the incident was other than one little comment that Serena’s box was giving her hand signals. That they said so little while the tirade was going on led me to believe Serena was in the wrong which would be such a shame as the tennis world deservedly holds her in such regard.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I missed the match today as I had the wrong starting time. I was looking forward to it. I caught the two minute or so video that ESPN is showing on their site. Do you know what led to this? The commentators said very little about whatever the incident was other than one little comment that Serena’s box was giving her hand signals. That they said so little while the tirade was going on led me to believe Serena was in the wrong which would be such a shame as the tennis world deservedly holds her in such regard.

I think that the ESPN commentators were (for the most part) understating the severity of the exchanges Serena was having with the Chair Umpire. I hope I am detailing things correctly....It started with an incident where her coach was caught coaching from the stands. Serena denied that was happening and that her coach was just giving her a thumbs up. That was simply not true because when they interviewed her coach he said he was coaching and that every coahc does it.
The 2nd incident was when Serena slammed her racket into the ground. That 2nd incident cost her a point. The 3rd incident was Serena berating the Umpire about the coaching from the stands call. She was demanding an apology (over and over again) from the ump because she claimed that the ump was calling her a cheater. She then told him that not only was he dishonest but that he was a thief for stealing a point from her.
That resulted in an abuse penalty which (because it was the 3rd incident) it cost her a game. That put Osaka up 5-3 in the second set. Serena went on to win her service game and then Osaka won the Championship on serve in the next game.
I think that everyone was way to soft on Serena by saying things like...."every coach coaches from the stands"...."why was the ump picking on Serena"
The point being it is illegal and it was due to get called. Sernea then went on to use the victim card and worse the discrimination against women card which seemed to resonate with the women on the ESPN panel.
I was embarrassed for Serena (and the panel) and I hope she just lets the whole thing drop but I suspect she wont do that. She will likely pursue the victim/discrimination angle which IMO is a shame. This SJW BS seems to be creeping into every aspect of society these days.

Anyway....
I have never seen anything like that and I have been watching tennis since I was a kid when Conner's and McEnroe were playing. Crazy s***.

I am sure that match will show up on the TSN on demand channel or at the very least be replayed later tonight. If you can watch it it would be well worth it. :nod:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I was embarrassed for Serena (and the panel) and I hope she just lets the whole thing drop but I suspect she wont do that. She will likely pursue the victim/discrimination angle which IMO is a shame. This SJW BS seems to be creeping into every aspect of society these days.

It should embarrassing for ESPN. They have been losing so much money they have finally clued into the fact that their SJW antics are hurting their business. They cut Jemele Hill from her Sports Centre gig after one too many social justice incidents.

I think that Serena should be embarrassed for her actions. Did she really say that male players call judges 'thief' all the time? So random.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’ll try to find the match later. I’d like to see the whole thing myself before I draw a final conclusion. What you’ve said confirms what I thought from that two minute clip I saw. I’m at a loss for words on this, just yesterday I was having a conversation with someone about whether or not she was the greatest female athlete of all time. We agreed she was certainly one of the classiest. I hope this isn’t something that hurts her legacy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It should embarrassing for ESPN. They have been losing so much money they have finally clued into the fact that their SJW antics are hurting their business. They cut Jemele Hill from her Sports Centre gig after one too many social justice incidents.

I think that Serena should be embarrassed for her actions. Did she really say that male players call judges 'thief' all the time? So random.

So random indeed.

Serena in the press conference...."I am going to continue to fight for women".
Its starting already. :laugh:

ESPN..."Serena is a passionate and sensitive woman".
Lordy...what a joke and this is just the beginning.

I pretty much figured that the chances Serena would put on her big girl pants and own her bad behavior was pretty much zero.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So random indeed.

Serena in the press conference...."I am going to continue to fight for women".
Its starting already. :laugh:

ESPN..."Serena is a passionate and sensitive woman".
Lordy...what a joke and this is just the beginning.

I pretty much figured that the chances Serena would put on her big girl pants and own her bad behavior was pretty much zero.

The lede for TSNs story was "Serena Williams took it too far." So credit to them for that at least.

Serena claimed the coach was just giving her a thumb's up. That was such a complete lie it was just laughable.

She went hard after the umpire.

You owe me an apology.

You attacked my character.

You will never, ever, ever be on another court of mine as long as you live.

You are the liar.

Say it. Say you're sorry.

Talking to the tournament ref.

Because I'm a woman you're going to take a game away from me?

Then she told the umpire to quit talking to her. Which he did. Still Serena went after him again.

You stole a point from me. You're a thief too.

That's when she had a game taken from her.

Her rationale in the post game presser for claiming sexism?

I've seen other men call other umpires several things. I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality and for all kinds of stuff. For me to say 'thief' and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark.

He has never took a game from a man for saying thief.

So very entitled and ridiculous.

That panel was embarrassing. When Serena told the umpire to quit talking which he did then she went back at him that was really, really bad.

Reactions: TB12 and guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The lede for TSNs story was "Serena Williams took it too far." So credit to them for that at least.

Serena claimed the coach was just giving her a thumb's up. That was such a complete lie it was just laughable.

She went hard after the umpire.

Talking to the tournament ref.

Then she told the umpire to quit talking to her. Which he did. Still Serena went after him again.

That's when she had a game taken from her.

Her rationale in the post game presser for claiming sexism?

So very entitled and ridiculous.

That panel was embarrassing. When Serena told the umpire to quit talking which he did then she went back at him that was really, really bad.

Serena really was relentless...she just wouldn't let it go.
Your transcript is very revealing and it doesnt even capture Serenas condescending tone which was very much a part of her tirade and likely played a role in what in the Umpires decision to give her an infraction.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The most bizarre part was her own coach nonchalantly admitting he was “coaching” her as he says all coaches do during a match and her bitterly denying she has ever been coached during a match. Too embarrassing to watch.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The most bizarre part was her own coach nonchalantly admitting he was “coaching” her as he says all coaches do during a match and her bitterly denying she has ever been coached during a match. Too embarrassing to watch.

I hear you.

I would have loved for a reporter to say...but Serena ...why are you denying that it never happens at all...
your coach already admitted he was coaching you.

Oct 15, 2008
I think that the ESPN commentators were (for the most part) understating the severity of the exchanges Serena was having with the Chair Umpire. I hope I am detailing things correctly....It started with an incident where her coach was caught coaching from the stands. Serena denied that was happening and that her coach was just giving her a thumbs up. That was simply not true because when they interviewed her coach he said he was coaching and that every coahc does it.
The 2nd incident was when Serena slammed her racket into the ground. That 2nd incident cost her a point. The 3rd incident was Serena berating the Umpire about the coaching from the stands call. She was demanding an apology (over and over again) from the ump because she claimed that the ump was calling her a cheater. She then told him that not only was he dishonest but that he was a thief for stealing a point from her.
That resulted in an abuse penalty which (because it was the 3rd incident) it cost her a game. That put Osaka up 5-3 in the second set. Serena went on to win her service game and then Osaka won the Championship on serve in the next game.
I think that everyone was way to soft on Serena by saying things like...."every coach coaches from the stands"...."why was the ump picking on Serena"
The point being it is illegal and it was due to get called. Sernea then went on to use the victim card and worse the discrimination against women card which seemed to resonate with the women on the ESPN panel.

Anyway....
I have never seen anything like that and I have been watching tennis since I was a kid when Conner's and McEnroe were playing. Crazy s***.

I am sure that match will show up on the TSN on demand channel or at the very least be replayed later tonight. If you can watch it it would be well worth it. :nod:
My take as well. Good summary. She even brought her kid into it, and really, she should be embarrassed. I get being emotional and jacked up, but this isn’t her first time doing this kind of thing. It would appear to be a behaviour she has little interest in controlling. I guess when you have people telling you you’re the greatest for years, it can go to your head. That’s still no excuse.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My take as well. Good summary. She even brought her kid into it, and really, she should be embarrassed. I get being emotional and jacked up, but this isn’t her first time doing this kind of thing. It would appear to be a behaviour she has little interest in controlling. I guess when you have people telling you you’re the greatest for years, it can go to your head. That’s still no excuse.

That was the worst part of it, using her kid as a shield. Then calling him a sexist, a liar, a thief, telling him not to talk to her then when he doesn't talk to her she continues to berate him. I'm actually surprised that she didn't pull the race card to top off the ridiculous tirade.

To no surprise the All American panel defends her to no end and I bet that if it was somebody like Kyrgios (a hot headed Aussie male), they would have laid all the blame on him for being immature, not being able to control his temper etc.
It isn't like this is the first time that Serena has gone on an uncontrollable rant against an official so this is far from a one time occurrence. She seems like a genuinely good person off the court who does a lot of good community work etc. but her on court behavior has been deplorable over the years, moreso in her younger years until the debacle today.

The worst of all this is that it takes away from Osaka's moment as not only winning her first Grand Slam as a young 20 year old but also the first Japanese man or woman to win it. Instead, it's all about Serena which is a shame.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats right...I forgot about her bringing her kid into things and how the ump was indirectly suggesting that she was a bad mother by accusing her of cheating.
Its interesting how Serena framed both sides of the discussion...she told the ump what he was doing...told him what he was implying with his actions and then proceeded to get sanctimonious about everything because it (her reframing of everything) was so insulting to her.
She totally tried to control every aspect of the exchanges including trying to influence the outcome.

I think you are right about Serena being given the princess treatment most of her life. When that treatment doesnt happen she reacts like a spoiled little girl.
I lost a lot of respect for her today.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think you are right about Serena being given the princess treatment most of her life. When that treatment doesnt happen she reacts like a spoiled little girl.

I lost a lot of respect for her today.

It shows how ridiculous modern identity politics can get. Why is a woman with $86 million in career earnings crying sexism?

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It shows how ridiculous modern identity politics can get. Why is a woman with $86 million in career earnings crying sexism?

No doubt.

I wonder if anybody in the media will bother to bring up her history. She was disqualified from a US Open a few years back for threatening an umpire.
She has a history of this kind of thing...how does that not play into how she was treated? It does of course but it doesnt fit the narrative she is trying to spin. I am just waiting for an NGO to take up the sexism banner and run with it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Serena is a mess. Wtf was that. Gtfo with this feminist trash. Lost respect for that woman.

It's sad how Serena's antics have over-shadowed what could be a pretty good men's final.

Can Delpo win a second major almost a decade after his first?

If Delpo wins can he jump to first in the rankings? It seems a little old for somebody to be ranked first for the first time at 29. Would Delpo be the oldest player to be ranked first for the first time?

If Djokovic wins he ties Sampras for third most men's grand slam championships. Could he catch Rafa? Federer?

Those are all things I would like to see discussed in the pre-match coverage. I would tune in to watch that (or at least surf between that and whatever NFL game I like best is on.) Instead a good chunk of the air time will cover the 'fallout' from Serena's tantrum and the "serious issues she raised that need to be discussed".

But ESPN wonders why they continue to bleed subscribers...

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's sad how Serena's antics have over-shadowed what could be a pretty good men's final.

Can Delpo win a second major almost a decade after his first?

If Delpo wins can he jump to first in the rankings? It seems a little old for somebody to be ranked first for the first time at 29. Would Delpo be the oldest player to be ranked first for the first time?

If Djokovic wins he ties Sampras for third most men's grand slam championships. Could he catch Rafa? Federer?

Those are all things I would like to see discussed in the pre-match coverage. I would tune in to watch that (or at least surf between that and whatever NFL game I like best is on.) Instead a good chunk of the air time will cover the 'fallout' from Serena's tantrum and the "serious issues she raised that need to be discussed".

But ESPN wonders why they continue to bleed subscribers...
I will watch the finals anyways, I am just disappointed she would stoop to those lows... especially on national tv. I got home from work at midnight and I was extremely annoyed after seeing that lol. I liked her but cant stand for that trash she threw at everyone yesterday. She even brought up her kids for some reason while denying she was getting coached while her coach openly admitted to, guess what... coaching her.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoop

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

Anyway....

Thanks for the write up.

I read this morning how it is sexist and racist (weird cause her opponent was an asian women). Sometimes it is hard to find a good summary of events without the slant. Most website it seems was using the poor Serena angle. Only a couple called her out and pretty softly at that.

I dont watch tennis but was hoping this thread would fill me in

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad