OT: Canadian Tennis

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm sure you guys are right about Bouchard for the most part.
But she was never the same after the concussion.
To me, that's when the mental issues started. The legal aspects of that didn't help, either.
Constantly changing racquets doesn't help her either. What makes Federer and Nadal special is they never change racquets. Only the cosmetics for endorsements purposes.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm sure you guys are right about Bouchard for the most part.
But she was never the same after the concussion.
To me, that's when the mental issues started. The legal aspects of that didn't help, either.
The mental issues started long before the concussion. That she was playing well at that US Open was kind of considered a comeback for her as she had had a terrible year before that. She went back into the tank after that again but it certainly started before that.

I’d say it started at the Wimbledon final and then exploded at the Rogers Cup a month later when it looked like she had a meltdown on the court. From there her game fell off. That was a full year before her concussion at the US Open.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's incredibly sad these professional athletes are spending more time on social media than putting the extra time into training.
Social media isn't the issue. It's what she continues to post on a regular basis that shows where her heart really is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just finished watched my PVR recording of the FAA match. My recording ran out with about 10 min left in the match. :madfire:
Had to watch the highlights to see how it finished.
Tough break for Felix. He is such a complete player...just needs more experience. They mentioned it on the broadcast that he should have been testing Medvedev's forehand more. I also noticed that he was trying to hit slim margin shots when he didnt need to. There were times where the proper play was just to keep the ball in play instead of forcing something. Experience will fix this though...such a talented player. :nod:

Raonic was very inconsistent...probably just hasn't played enough yet to compete at a level necessary to advance into the later rounds.

Shapovalov is such an exciting player to watch. Very few weaknesses...his court coverage and shot making is outstanding. He could really do some damage in this tourney especial now that Del Portro is out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Shapovalov/Haase match is on SportsNet 1 at 4:30.

A full night of sports with the Eskimo game on at 8:00. :D

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I could cut and paste my post about Felix Auger-Aliassime's last match and put it here.
Denis needs to know when its time to go for a lower percentage shot. Hasse just played safe tennis and let Shapovalov make the mistakes.
Also...Denis appeared to be a little off his game...perhaps he was a little uptight.

Learning experience for Denis. Now on to the US Open.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting matchup this morning at the Masters 1000 in Cincinnati.
Shapovalov vs Raonic....winner goes to the round of 16.

Should be a great match!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting matchup this morning at the Masters 1000 in Cincinnati.
Shapovalov vs Raonic....winner goes to the round of 16.

Should be a great match!
Of course this game has to be on this morning. Missed the last one too. I see it's delayed. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to catch some at lunch

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Of course this game has to be on this morning. Missed the last one too. I see it's delayed. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to catch some at lunch

I hear you man...weather is not cooperating.

I am recording it on my PVR...added a few extra hours just in case.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wow...Raonic played an excellent match. His lateral movement has improved a lot...so have his returns.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think it's cool to see they've revamped the Davis Cup. Having a season ending tournament in November and upping the prize money makes a lot of sense in terms of attracting the best players to play for their country. Hey, it worked for the PGA doing a similar thing with the Fedex Cup playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Raonic should have beaten Novak today. That match was there for the taking but Raonic's serve failed him at the worst possible times.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Geez number 1 seed Halep knocked out round 1.

She think this was the Canadian open and throw her game by accident?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That’s concerning for FAA
I was hoping it was heat stroke as they had eluded earlier in the day that the heat protocol had been implemented in women’s matches indicating it was a problem today. Shapovalov’s post match comments seemed to indicate it was indeed something much different. I hope he’s doing okay.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I was hoping it was heat stroke as they had eluded earlier in the day that the heat protocol had been implemented in women’s matches indicating it was a problem today. Shapovalov’s post match comments seemed to indicate it was indeed something much different. I hope he’s doing okay.

Apparently he has an irregular heartbeat (got that from the tennis thread). If that's the case, professional tennis probably isn't for him considering how taxing it is on the heart and played in mostly hot conditions. Health should come first.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Apparently he has an irregular heartbeat (got that from the tennis thread). If that's the case, professional tennis probably isn't for him considering how taxing it is on the heart and played in mostly hot conditions. Health should come first.
The commentators were hinting at something like this during the match. Whether they knew or not, who knows? I was hoping it was something else.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The commentators were hinting at something like this during the match. Whether they knew or not, who knows? I was hoping it was something else.

Same here, I was hoping that it was just heat exhaustion and living in New York, it's fooking hot out there. I'm sure more details will come out later but it was pretty scary watching him looking disoriented.

On another note, is anybody experiencing these ridiculous Chevy pop ups when posting on mobile? Pain in the arse.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Things like irregular heartbeats are not permanent conditions. I know this first hand.
Felix just needs to look for solutions outside of the medication carousel.
I am very hopeful that he will be back...he is just so damn talented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad