Canadian team Stanley Cup drought - why?

Vikingstoe

Jun 20, 2018
Can anyone explain why Canadian teams have not won the Stanley cup for 25 years since 1993? I started by counting the total amount of NHL teams (31) and divided the total amount of Canadian teams (6) and came up with that around 20% of the teams are Canadian teams. That means that everything being equal a Canadian team should win the cup every five years. Why is that not happening?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
All the generational talent has gone to America:

Hasek
Lindros (talking about his prime not his career as much)
Fopa was borderline too
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Lidstrom

Much easier to win with those cornerstone pieces. Furthermore, the Leafs and Habs have not really had an elongated enough period to take advantage of their superior revenue stream and sign big names, so all that extra fanfare wasn't exactly doing much for the two clubs. The other teams in Canada don't really have the pockets to take advantage to the same extent and their weather makes them less than ideal destinations, specifically combined with the high taxes in Canada.

Mooy04

Apr 5, 2017
Los Angeles
This is just my personal opinion but I think there is more media coverage in those cities so teams are under the microscope more often compared to some other teams. Because of that the owners/GMs are less likely to try a full rebuild due to fear of backlash. It doesn't take long for a fan base to get tired of losing and the GM and coach are usually the first ones to go. Look at the Canucks, Flames, and Leafs, took they awhile to finally admit they needed a rebuild and was dedicated to it. Its the same issue Montreal is having right now. Because of that the teams that try to push off rebuilds are usually near 8-10 in their conference, maybe will make the playoffs but not enough to make it deep. Also not many high draft picks during that time. Eventually they full rebuild and after 3-4 years the team becomes more of a contender. Thats just IMO one of the causes.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Can anyone explain why Canadian teams have not won the Stanley cup for 25 years since 1993? I started by counting the total amount of NHL teams (31) and divided the total amount of Canadian teams (6) and came up with that around 20% of the teams are Canadian teams. That means that everything being equal a Canadian team should win the cup every five years. Why is that not happening?

Welcome to the boards. Please title your threads with something more illustrative than "Stanley Cup". Thanks!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
because they've never won

its hard to do so when there are more american teams and some of your franchises have been terrible for so long (leafs 2004-2016), (oilers 2006-), (flames 2009-)

Reactions: Melrose Munch

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
To the OP I'm not sure if you know this but the Canadian teams Stanley Cup drought is a thing the media cares a lot more about that. Do you honestly think fans of the Canadian teams want to see another Canadian team win a Stanley Cup? As a Leafs fan I could careless if Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver wins a Stanley Cup and I'm sure any of their fans would say that about Toronto. Hell in 2011 I was cheering for Boston to defeat Vancouver, along with the majority of other Canadians not living in Vancouver or Montreal.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly can't see anyone but the Leafs or Jets doing it in the foreseeable future....Maybe the Oilers shopping cart of high draft picks will come to fruition.....

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Horrible ownership/management.

To the OP I'm not sure if you know this but the Canadian teams Stanley Cup drought is a thing the media cares a lot more about that. Do you honestly think fans of the Canadian teams want to see another Canadian team win a Stanley Cup? As a Leafs fan I could careless if Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver wins a Stanley Cup and I'm sure any of their fans would say that about Toronto. Hell in 2011 I was cheering for Boston to defeat Vancouver, along with the majority of other Canadians not living in Vancouver or Montreal.
Also, this. I hate the other Canadian teams far more than I could ever hate an American team.

amethyst

#10 Forever
Mar 15, 2013
But I thought people don’t care? Funny there’s a thread about this topic like every 2 months ;)

A Canadian team will never win as long as Bettman is in charge. Bet on it! :)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What sort of answer are you expecting?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Who are some of the most recent big-name free agents to sign with a Canadian team? It seems like the stars choose to avoid the Great White North...which would explain the long drought. It's difficult to build a Cup-contender without a little help from Free Agency.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
But I thought people don’t care? Funny there’s a thread about this topic like every 2 months ;)

A Canadian team will never win as long as Bettman is in charge. Bet on it! :)

Right.

It's 100% Gary Bettman's fault that a Canadian team has failed to win the Cup since 1993.

Because reasons.

:laugh:

BerlinBlueShirt

Feb 25, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Aren't there 7 Canadian Teams? Or are the Habs not counting anymore?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is just my personal opinion but I think there is more media coverage in those cities so teams are under the microscope more often compared to some other teams. Because of that the owners/GMs are less likely to try a full rebuild due to fear of backlash. It doesn't take long for a fan base to get tired of losing and the GM and coach are usually the first ones to go. Look at the Canucks, Flames, and Leafs, took they awhile to finally admit they needed a rebuild and was dedicated to it. Its the same issue Montreal is having right now. Because of that the teams that try to push off rebuilds are usually near 8-10 in their conference, maybe will make the playoffs but not enough to make it deep. Also not many high draft picks during that time. Eventually they full rebuild and after 3-4 years the team becomes more of a contender. Thats just IMO one of the causes.
Honestly, I don't buy that for a second. That excuse is never used in any other sport but hockey.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Right.

It's 100% Gary Bettman's fault that a Canadian team has failed to win the Cup since 1993.

Because reasons.

:laugh:

To follow up:

Nevermind the fact that a Canadian team advanced to the Finals the following year, only to fall short.

Nevermind the three consecutive seasons (not including the 2005 strike year) from 2004-2007, where a Canadian team advanced to the finals, again falling short every time.

Vancouver twice, Ottawa once, Edmonton once, Calgary once.

Five attempts, with no success.

Turns out winning the Cup is actually hard.

Who knew?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad