Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
My point was Dari never centered his own line and got the contract not that it matters too much the contract is fine I was pointing out your faulty logic.

Run the numbers again Matthews is a fair amount better then Eichel and he signed his contract later with a rising cap.

Also Matthews had one good playoffs and one bad. Check again. 4 goals in 6 games in a tight checking series were goals were scarce is good. He probably had the best chances and other numbers all around iirc.

Pretty funny that Drai had as many points in a single game as Matthews had the entire series... Centering his own line.:sarcasm:

He also finished the year off with 77 points, good for top 10 in scoring that year. Was well above a PPG in the playoffs, and IMO looked better in the Playoffs than McDavid. He plays LW, C, and RW. Is top 10 in scoring again this year, so far. He's got absolute garbage for wingers to deal with, as McDavid always has either Drai or Nuge (outside of the games after the break). One of the best passers in the league and probably the best passer on his backhand in the league, which is why McDavid loves playing with him. He can hit him in stride nearly every time, it is remarkable what kind chemistry they have together. Signed for 8 years on a great contract.

If Marner signs for 11+ how bad is that contract going to be? According to you wingers shouldn't be making nearly as much as C.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Well there is a Leafs player who's never cracked 70pts who just got $11.5M...

We don't take injuries into account on HF anymore? He's a PPG since entering the league and one of the best goal scorers. Get over it.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
It’s not that I think he won’t be worth the deal. But it looks like they used Malkin as a comparable who had two healthy, dominant, 100 point seasons alongside dominant playoff performances and a cup win. This is the type of deal I would have expected if Matthews lead the Leafs to a cup this year.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Incompetence of Chirelli is more likely to effect the League. Lucic on his contract is FAR worse. Draisaitl Draisaitl continued the trend, although not as bad. Beyond the Oilers there is that $10M goalie with what, 7 years left? And the $10M player who has never cracked 40 goals with 8 years left?

I get it, you hate the Leafs, but this is pretty sad even for you.

I agree with this. Matthew's is slightly overpaid then what I thought he'd get but this trend all started with the Draisaitl contract. Players like Johnny Gaudreau are probably kicking themselves their contracts werent up after Chia gave drais that deal.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Incompetence of Chirelli is more likely to effect the League. Lucic on his contract is FAR worse. Draisaitl Draisaitl continued the trend, although not as bad. Beyond the Oilers there is that $10M goalie with what, 7 years left? And the $10M player who has never cracked 40 goals with 8 years left?

I get it, you hate the Leafs, but this is pretty sad even for you.

Draisaitl contract looks like a steal next to Matthew's at this point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
According to Eric Francis in his article about Tkachuk he said this. Also came up on Tim and Sid. I think i can agree because the Leafs overpaying both of their players it will affect the new batch of RFA's and they will want similar money too which will ruin other teams cap plans.

Flames' Matthew Tkachuk weighs in on impact of Auston Matthews' new deal - Sportsnet.ca
Can either be a leader or a folllower in terms of setting the market.

I bet most GMs were banking on using the 2016 rfa class of monahan, Barkov, Mackinnon, etc as the base. Then add 15% cap inflation, so that their deals would average $7 million per over 6 years.

However this crop is producing way better and thus are going to ask for 50-65% more than that 2016 draft class.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I’d rather have the young stars of the game getting paid instead of the over the hill vets with big fat retirement contracts!!!

Reactions: CountKong

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
You forgot the 11.6 million dollar player with the shortest term of them all who hasnt cracked 70 points yet.

Eichal signed for full 8 year term and Price had won a Hart trophy. Matthews doesnt have anywhere close to the hardware Price did and Prices contract was full 8 years plus he was a UFA. Matthews was an RFA and he got that deal which is why it affects the rest of the league. Even Draisaitl at least got 8 years with his contract.
Matthews is literally the second best goal scorer in the entire NHL since entering the league.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
According to Eric Francis in his article about Tkachuk he said this. Also came up on Tim and Sid. I think i can agree because the Leafs overpaying both of their players it will affect the new batch of RFA's and they will want similar money too which will ruin other teams cap plans.

Flames' Matthew Tkachuk weighs in on impact of Auston Matthews' new deal - Sportsnet.ca

Without a doubt the AM deal changed the top RFA's landscape not unlike other surprising contracts have in the past. The next day reports were coming in from media that more then a few GM's were annoyed at Dubas lowering the bar for young players to cash in huge sooner then ever before at such a big amount. Time will tell the impact of this deal and if the next CBA addresses this type of deal to restrict it from happening bc it's not good for the NHL (in some peoples opinions).

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Draisaitl contract looks like a steal next to Matthew's at this point.
Mathews is a legit top threat goal scorer compared to Drai in fact Mathews only behind Drai by like 8-10 career goals in 100+ less career games and goals are premium in this league! On the flip side Drai is a bit more complete player

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The bad thing about the Matthews deal is NOT the money, it's that the term doesn't cover (IIRC) any UFA years. Anyone who thinks Matthews is overpaid is being as foolish as anyone knocking the Eichel deal (which it's very obvious is going to end up being an excellent deal for us in the long term).

Reactions: TML1990

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Lucic has nothing to do with the conversation at hand, which is 2nd contract for players coming off their entry deal.

Oilers were still the ones that broke the model.

They took a player (albeit a top one) coming off his ELC and made him the highest paid player in the league and then took Drai and gave him 8.5 when the typical market was around 5.5-6.5

Reactions: RBZ

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Peter Chiarelli is/was just a moron. Dubas is just inexperienced. It might not make sense to people who are younger, but if you ask any 50-55 year old person about their wisdom at the age of 33, they’ll all say - what wisdom at 33. At that age you’re only just beginning to get a clue about stuff.

Gosh, how dumb was Peter Chiarelli at 33?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Oilers were still the ones that broke the model.

They took a player (albeit a top one) coming off his ELC and made him the highest paid player in the league and then took Drai and gave him 8.5 when the typical market was around 5.5-6.5

McDavid is the best player in the world and had produced as such (unlike Matthews). The contract was expected and reasonable. Drai? Maybe a little overpaid but they got him over eight years. While TOR only got Matthews to a five-year contract while making him the second best paid player in the league.

Pathetic 'negotiating' by Doobas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Pretty funny that Drai had as many points in a single game as Matthews had the entire series... Centering his own line.:sarcasm:

He also finished the year off with 77 points, good for top 10 in scoring that year. Was well above a PPG in the playoffs, and IMO looked better in the Playoffs than McDavid. He plays LW, C, and RW. Is top 10 in scoring again this year, so far. He's got absolute garbage for wingers to deal with, as McDavid always has either Drai or Nuge (outside of the games after the break). One of the best passers in the league and probably the best passer on his backhand in the league, which is why McDavid loves playing with him. He can hit him in stride nearly every time, it is remarkable what kind chemistry they have together. Signed for 8 years on a great contract.

If Marner signs for 11+ how bad is that contract going to be? According to you wingers shouldn't be making nearly as much as C.
i said drai deserved the contract just pointing out the flaw in his argument. at the time he was paid like a top player but wasnt actually one and wasnt centering one either. if anything the contract is bit cheap all things considered.

marner probs will get 11 or w/e rip the leafs cap, but dubas only needs it to work for one year and if he can do that we're fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad