GDT: Canadian Soccer | Final Pre-WC Friendlies - Sept 23 @ 11 AM vs. Qatar

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Mexico scores in the 90+9 minute. What a shame, the Canadians deserved better.

Tempers flaring on the field now. It seems like the Mexicans are making some comments that are setting off the Canadian players.

Still some time to be added it looks like. Canada might have a minute to try and score.

Game over, 2-1 final. Too bad for Canada but they gave it everything they had and they didn't look outclassed by Mexico at all and carried the play at times. Pretty impressive for a Canadian team that was missing a half dozen of its best players.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I really like the way Herdman has this team playing. They move the ball well and the defence was strong. Mexico is a little bit lucky they got the win honestly.

The reffing was definitely tilted in Mexico's favour for what was essentially a Mexican home game. The Jamaican ref looked like he was having trouble keeping a lid on the game and I think the crowd affected his judgement a little. Not impressed by the Mexican crowd after this one either with the offensive chanting.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I really like the way Herdman has this team playing. They move the ball well and the defence was strong. Mexico is a little bit lucky they got the win honestly.

The reffing was definitely tilted in Mexico's favour for what was essentially a Mexican home game. The Jamaican ref looked like he was having trouble keeping a lid on the game and I think the crowd affected his judgement a little. Not impressed by the Mexican crowd after this one either with the offensive chanting.
Davies and David are gamechangers obviously but I’m impressed by Buchanan and Corbeanu. They’re basically the depth that’s been missing from this program for a long time. They’re still very raw too, lots of room to improve.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Play this game in Edmonton. The Mexican crowd be very small.

But this game and the Qatar/US game had its low moments. The Mexicans in this game and the US mixing it up when Qatar was given a penalty. Need to bring in UEFA refs to do these games. CONCACAF ones are rank amateurs.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that CONCACAF referees have prevented Canadian teams from qualifying in the past. You expect poor officiating in the games held in Central America where the refs are intimidated by the crowds. It’s disappointing that it’s still a problem in games played in the US. Not a good sign for that final round of qualifying.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Game suspended now in the 87th minute because of offensive chants from the crowd.

Edit: Play back underway with 7 minutes of added time.

A signpost that its 2021. Um, why was the game suspended because of chants?

This is soccer. I've seen games with bottles and fireworks being thrown on the pitch continue to be played. Games have continued to be played through minor earthquake tremors. Games are played in the rain, some lightning storms, in snow, hail, etc. Games continue to be played in concacaf when fans are throwing buckets of piss on the players.

Chants stopped this game in its tracks?

Next time we're losing a SC final game 7 we all know what to do..

(joking)

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Davies and David are gamechangers obviously but I’m impressed by Buchanan and Corbeanu. They’re basically the depth that’s been missing from this program for a long time. They’re still very raw too, lots of room to improve.

Yeah I thought Buchanan had quite a strong game and obviously he got Canada's goal. Was dangerous and making things happen for most of the game.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

This is soccer. I've seen games with bottles and fireworks being thrown on the pitch continue to be played. Games have continued to be played through minor earthquake tremors. Games are played in the rain, some lightning storms, in snow, hail, etc. Games continue to be played in concacaf when fans are throwing buckets of piss on the players.

(joking)

I think the yobs got worked up because the Mexican team was trying to push around Canada after a tackle. Note that there was 7 minutes of stoppage time at the end. Their goal was scored in the late 9th minute and the game ended after 15 minutes of stoppage time. Black mark on Mexico and CONCACAF. If they do make it to the World Cup again, there'll be few fans of theirs and the European teams will have nothing of it.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

(joking)

Something like this? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad