GDT: Canadian Soccer | Final Pre-WC Friendlies - Sept 23 @ 11 AM vs. Qatar

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Davies and David are so so good. This is probably the best chance we will ever have of qualifying for the World Cup! Now that would be such a big achievement for Canadian Soccer :nod:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If we have our best players we have a very good chance. If we cannot field our best team (as has happened in the past) we have no chance.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Davies and David are so so good. This is probably the best chance we will ever have of qualifying for the World Cup! Now that would be such a big achievement for Canadian Soccer :nod:
We will probably automatically "qualify" for the 2026 WC in North America since we're a host country, but otherwise yes I agree.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We will probably automatically "qualify" for the 2026 WC in North America since we're a host country, but otherwise yes I agree.

Ah yes, I totally forgot about that nice loophole lol. Well that will be exciting to watch. Hopefully we can keep building up our soccer program in meantime :nod:

Reactions: Cloned

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Didn't realize the Canada-Suriname game was played on the southside of the city in Bridgeview, IL. A quick web search reveals that it doesn't look like one could buy tickets to watch the game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anyone else watching these games? Big win yesterday, now onto Haiti for a 2 game playoff to get into the final qualifying group.

This is very likely the Golden Generation for Canadian soccer. Watch it while you can.

Davies is the best player Canada has ever had imo. But to call this the golden generation of Canadian Soccer is by and large a stretch. A comment that would be made by a younger poster.

my own take was that the height of the Canadian program, based on player and team results, was the 1981-86 time frame in which Canada WON a Concacaf entry involving both Mexico and USA, and went on to the Olympics in 84, and WC in 1986. Probably Canadas best showing in a World Cup.

Canada at the FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia

Reaching Quarterfinals at Olympic 84 and being beat out by Brazil, in shootout, has to be the absolute height of Canadian soccer.

Moment 5: Canada reaches quarter-final at 1984 Olympics - Canada Soccer

Those were storied times in which it seemed like anything was possible and I had memories of games with Canada even hanging with Mexico at Azteca stadium. Those were great times for Canadian Soccer, and Commonwealth was the sometimes home of the Canadian National team.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Davies is the best player Canada has ever had imo. But to call this the golden generation of Canadian Soccer is by and large a stretch. A comment that would be made by a younger poster.

my own take was that the height of the Canadian program, based on player and team results, was the 1981-86 time frame in which Canada WON a Concacaf entry involving both Mexico and USA, and went on to the Olympics in 84, and WC in 1986. Probably Canadas best showing in a World Cup.

Canada at the FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia

Reaching Quarterfinals at Olympic 84 and being beat out by Brazil, in shootout, has to be the absolute height of Canadian soccer.

Moment 5: Canada reaches quarter-final at 1984 Olympics - Canada Soccer

Those were storied times in which it seemed like anything was possible and I had memories of games with Canada even hanging with Mexico at Azteca stadium. Those were great times for Canadian Soccer, and Commonwealth was the sometimes home of the Canadian National team.

CONCACAF is generally better now than it was in the 80s. This will likely be the golden generation. Davies, David, Kaye, Eustauqio, Buchanon, Corbeanu, plus more coming down the pipeline.

Reactions: BlueCheeseWithWings

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David are such a pleasure to watch.

Probably pretty safe to say that Davies is the most popular/well known athlete in Canada at the moment.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
CONCACAF is generally better now than it was in the 80s. This will likely be the golden generation. Davies, David, Kaye, Eustauqio, Buchanon, Corbeanu, plus more coming down the pipeline.

Mexico has been a competitive Soccer nation for a longtime. Getting close to them has always been tough. US program has improved somewhat since then but not all the sides. afairc now more Concacaf entries now to Olympics as well, or potential ways in. I mean imagine the accomplishments of a Canadian side that got into 86 WC by WINNING their Concacaf draw. Or that got all the way to the quarterfinals in Olympics in 84.

I mean lets count this teams accomplishment when they even get to next stage. This here is basically glorified qualifying. Against sides you should beat with eyes closed. Doesn't tell you a thing about the team until we're playing more competitive sides.

We'll see what happens. This bunch should be able to score more, but I doubt they defend as well. Canada's defending and overall play was underrated in the 80's.

Yesterday Canadas defending was shambolic against even Suriname. That spells a lot of trouble. Suriname had a lot of chances, post. before Canada even got a goal. Not impressive.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Mexico has been a competitive Soccer nation for a longtime. Getting close to them has always been tough. US program has improved somewhat since then but not all the sides. afairc now more Concacaf entries now to Olympics as well, or potential ways in. I mean imagine the accomplishments of a Canadian side that got into 86 WC by WINNING their Concacaf draw. Or that got all the way to the quarterfinals in Olympics in 84.

I mean lets count this teams accomplishment when they even get to next stage. This here is basically glorified qualifying. Against sides you should beat with eyes closed. Doesn't tell you a thing about the team until we're playing more competitive sides.

We'll see what happens. This bunch should be able to score more, but I doubt they defend as well. Canada's defending and overall play was underrated in the 80's.

Yesterday Canadas defending was shambolic against even Suriname. That spells a lot of trouble. Suriname had a lot of chances, post. before Canada even got a goal. Not impressive.
I'm projecting based on potential. This should be Canada's golden generation.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm projecting based on potential. This should be Canada's golden generation.

Thats like saying Tampa Bay Lightning should be a generational club of alltime. nothing is realized, and I just took your view as disrespectful of Canadian Soccer history, accomplishment, etc. As if nothing has occurred before. Lets talk when this side has an outstanding Olympic tournament or World Cup showing or wins Concacaf. A little early for pronouncements. You haven't seen enough of Herdman yet...pffft

Again this club had fits defending against Suriname. To me that spells trouble. The Suriname goalie was inept and we only got 4. He gave us two others that should have been in the back of the net. Everything has to be measured against quality of opponent. Davies is amazing. Thats what we know so far.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thats like saying Tampa Bay Lightning should be a generational club of alltime. nothing is realized, and I just took your view as disrespectful of Canadian Soccer history, accomplishment, etc. As if nothing has occurred before. Lets talk when this side has an outstanding Olympic tournament or World Cup showing or wins Concacaf. A little early for pronouncements. You haven't seen enough of Herdman yet...pffft

Again this club had fits defending against Suriname. To me that spells trouble. The Suriname goalie was inept and we only got 4. He gave us two others that should have been in the back of the net. Everything has to be measured against quality of opponent. Davies is amazing. Thats what we know so far.

I think you're interpreting things with too much animosity tbh.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think you're interpreting things with too much animosity tbh.

No animosity. Just in your phrasing;
"This is very likely the golden generation of Canadian Soccer" Its annoying because the reader senses you don't even know what happened in Canadian Soccer decades ago. Especially if you're making the type of statement.

heh when you get my age you'll recognize the frustration of hearing "this is the best evar..." type comments. don't mind me..;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No animosity. Just in your phrasing;
"This is very likely the golden generation of Canadian Soccer" Its annoying because the reader senses you don't even know what happened in Canadian Soccer decades ago. Especially if you're making the type of statement.

heh when you get my age you'll recognize the frustration of hearing "this is the best evar..." type comments. don't mind me..;)
I still think you’re interpreting with too much animosity. Does anyone else think that the statement in the OP was offensive or annoying?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As someone who has been watching this team try to qualify since the late 80’s, I’ll hold my enthusiasm until they actually make it through the final qualifying round. We had teams good enough to qualify since 86 but were absolutely robbed by corrupt CONCACAF referees, especially in the games played in Central America where some appear to be heavily influenced by the crowd. We’ll see what happens this time. If these games are being played in neutral sights, that’ll help.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What a player Davies is. 2 beautiful through balls, 1 for a goal and another for a penalty that resulted in a goal. Which club does David play for?

Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Anyone else watching these games? Big win yesterday, now onto Haiti for a 2 game playoff to get into the final qualifying group.

This is very likely the Golden Generation for Canadian soccer. Watch it while you can.

Yup, exciting times. I finally had to get onto one soccer.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Next WC we are in, by default. This is helping us this time around also. Players wanting to play in the wc will be drawn to Canada. Which hasnt happened ever before. Think about it, Canada is playing in the WC in 4 years. Players know that. Its not a crap shoot. This will help the Canadian program alot now, and into the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Didn't realize the Canada-Suriname game was played on the southside of the city in Bridgeview, IL. A quick web search reveals that it doesn't look like one could buy tickets to watch the game.
2nd Haiti game will be in the US also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad