Canadian Soccer Part III

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Was it ever in doubt! Give him MVP and U-21 player as well while we are at it!

Is this guy someone you could see on the national team in the future? I know he’s had some youth experience with them. Is this a case of a meh player being good in a not as strong league?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is this guy someone you could see on the national team in the future? I know he’s had some youth experience with them. Is this a case of a meh player being good in a not as strong league?

I have been wondering the same thing throughout this year. Borges was by far the most talented player in the league this year. He does have quick feet and some skill, but I would worry about him playing in a league that is faster with more adept CB's and MFs. He is not overly strong or fast and I would worry about his decision making under the pressure of better competition.

He is still young and from my understanding took leaps forward this year, he was a sort of surprise for Forge and the league. I think he gets a look in a year or 2, he still needs some time to grow and further prove himself.

Reactions: sabremike

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I could see Borges getting a call up for the camp ahead of the Nov 15 match. He won't be on the final squad but get him in with the team for training.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I could see Borges getting a call up for the camp ahead of the Nov 15 match. He won't be on the final squad but get him in with the team for training.
That would not shock me. Wouldn't hurt just to see what they have in him, but I would be surprised to see him even make the bench.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I remember putting him (Borges) on my prospect list years back because he was at Heerenveen and there was some hype around him in Canadian circles but when he never really broke through in the Netherlands I stopped following his career so it’s nice to see that he’s doing well in the CPL.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I have been wondering the same thing throughout this year. Borges was by far the most talented player in the league this year. He does have quick feet and some skill, but I would worry about him playing in a league that is faster with more adept CB's and MFs. He is not overly strong or fast and I would worry about his decision making under the pressure of better competition.

He is still young and from my understanding took leaps forward this year, he was a sort of surprise for Forge and the league. I think he gets a look in a year or 2, he still needs some time to grow and further prove himself.
*Paging Dennis Hamlet, Paging Dennis Hamlet* Would certainly be a hell of a lot better than that trashboat kid from Scandanavia we spent $2 Million on last season who isn't even good enough to play in USL.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
If he moves to MLS next year and plays then Canada might look at him more seriously.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If he moves to MLS next year and plays then Canada might look at him more seriously.

I could see him getting a call up even if he stays in CPL, but more for just training with the team. The same thing that Carducci got.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I had guessed there was going to be a lot of turn over, didn't realize it would be coming this quickly from the teams that have already been in the off season for a while.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I initially liked this thinking they were headed to the CPL but it sounds like they are essentially suspending operations.

Hopefully that is the case in a year or so. Or maybe there is an Ottawa team coming to CPL but it's going to be a different ownership group or something like that.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canada MNT announces squad for Concacaf Nations League away match against USA | Canada Soccer

GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers
CB- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Amer Didić | CAN / FC Edmonton
CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Steven Vitória | POR / Moreirense FC
FB- Samuel Adekugbe | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball
FB- Richie Laryea | CAN / Toronto FC
FB- Kamal Miller | USA / Orlando City SC
FB- Dominick Zator | CAN / Cavalry FC
M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
M- Stephen Eustáquio | MEX / Cruz Azul FC
M- Liam Fraser | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Los Angeles FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- David Wotherspoon | SCO / St. Johnstone FC
F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
F- Alphonso Davies | GER / FC Bayern München
F- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
F- Liam Millar | SCO / Kilmarnock FC

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Team basically as expected, the one omission was not expecting was that of Larin. He has been in great form as of recent for club.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Team basically as expected, the one omission was not expecting was that of Larin. He has been in great form as of recent for club.

Of note, both Atiba Hutchinson of Beşiktaş JK in Turkey and Cyle Larin of SV Zulte Waregem in Belgium, were unavailable for the camp through personal reasons and will remain with their clubs through the international window.

Yeah, who knows the reason.

I wonder if they'll get Eustáquio capped this time.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Larin is not good enough and very bad personality, good thing they don't take him.

When and where is the big game?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Larin is not good enough and very bad personality, good thing they don't take him.

When and where is the big game?

Larin has been awesome this season, especially the past month. He is definitely good enough to be in this squad.

Game is on November 15 in Orlando.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad