Canadian Soccer Part III

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Job done against Bermuda. Nice to see Corbeanu get his first cap and first goal!

Should have been a clean sheet but Borjan always seems to bottle that and last night was no different. Brutal goal to concede.

In Olympic qualifying, Canada drew against Honduras 1-1. Good news, they advance to the SF. Bad news, they have to face Mexico. Only the finalists qualify, so it's beat Mexico or nothing.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Job done against Bermuda. Nice to see Corbeanu get his first cap and first goal!

Should have been a clean sheet but Borjan always seems to bottle that and last night was no different. Brutal goal to concede.

In Olympic qualifying, Canada drew against Honduras 1-1. Good news, they advance to the SF. Bad news, they have to face Mexico. Only the finalists qualify, so it's beat Mexico or nothing.

Sooooooooooo it is going to be nothing. At least, against the USA, we might have had a chance.

Canada has not excuse not to be 3rd in the CONCACAF. Hopefully the CPL2 and all the resulting academies will help on that front. By 2030, we have to be a clear #3 who can beat the big 2 once in a while.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sooooooooooo it is going to be nothing. At least, against the USA, we might have had a chance.

Canada has not excuse not to be 3rd in the CONCACAF. Hopefully the CPL2 and all the resulting academies will help on that front. By 2030, we have to be a clear #3 who can beat the big 2 once in a while.

Yeah, chances to beat Mexico are slim to none (probably less :laugh: ). It's in Mexico aswell...

I feel like Canada is definitely on the right track for #3. Players like Davies and David should help keep the young talent to play for Canada instead of playing for someone else which we've seen a number of times. I feel like that shift has started over the last couple of years.

They still have a long way to go but I'm more optimistic about the CANMNT now than I was before.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Yeah, chances to beat Mexico are slim to none (probably less :laugh: ). It's in Mexico aswell...

I feel like Canada is definitely on the right track for #3. Players like Davies and David should help keep the young talent to play for Canada instead of playing for someone else which we've seen a number of times. I feel like that shift has started over the last couple of years.

They still have a long way to go but I'm more optimistic about the CANMNT now than I was before.

Long gone are the days of "unattached FC"... and that's a HUGE positive itself.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Theo Corbeanu is definitely someone to be excited about. 18 years old and a really good looking player. Excited to see what he can become.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I was hoping a quality young keeper would've presented himself by now. With a lackluster defense and a keeper prone to at least one major gaffe per game, it will be tough to grab a top 4 spot.

Nice to see Larin continue where y he left off in europe. He and Davies linked up so well together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy and Pouchkine

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I was hoping a quality young keeper would've presented himself by now. With a lackluster defense and a keeper prone to at least one major gaffe per game, it will be tough to grab a top 4 spot.
Agreed! The Borjan mistake last night brought me back to the not so fond memories of Haiti 2019.

Reactions: Tuggy and al secord

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
US lose to Honduras, big game tonight for Canada to join them for Tokyo. Not expecting a win against Mexico, we are truly in tough. Who knows though, maybe the squad can bring some magic!

Reactions: Tuggy

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Well 1 win in 4 games, once again a lot of hype but on the field it's another story...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Well 1 win in 4 games, once again a lot of hype but on the field it's another story...
Would have been nice to win another group stage match, but I'm finding it hard to fault the squad or play into the narrative that they didn't live up to the hype. A lot of these guys have had extremely inconsistent playing opportunities in comparison to other nations at the tournament.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Because they are not good enough. Lots of them are on weak MLS rosters, if they don't play much at 21-22-23 years old it's because they don't have the talent or desire in the case of Ballou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad