Canadian Soccer Part III

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of funds. I don't know if we wills see many longer contracts due to the fact that 1) they have to have certain amount of Canadians and 2) a lot of players are going to see playing for a club associated with Atletico as a good stepping stone to bigger things. They won't to be strapped down for too long.

So you are saying they won't like the Canadian players enough to keep them on longer?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I don't know if this is known, but Ottawa will be officially unveiled on Feb. 12th, probably will have the kit and coach in place by then. Looks like they can buy some nice players which the other clubs can't.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So you are saying they won't like the Canadian players enough to keep them on longer?

I'm just think that a lot of those Canadian players are going to be new to professional soccer or will come from other developmental leagues. For the team it does not make sense to dish out term to those kind of players, especially when the league is still in it's infancy and its still tough to predict how each team will do on a year to year basis. For the better end of Canadian players, term does not make sense as this is a stepping stone league. Obviously they can be sold if they end up being really good, but i still think it's risky to sign anything more than 2 years at this point.

Just so many uncertainties if that makes sense.

I don't know if this is known, but Ottawa will be officially unveiled on Feb. 12th, probably will have the kit and coach in place by then. Looks like they can buy some nice players which the other clubs can't.

This will be another interesting aspect of the team. They will have more money but will still need to live within the 750k salary cap. They may be able to put more towards buying a player, but what players with big fees are going to want to come to a restricted cap ?

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Don’t get to excited over teams from other countries owning the team. It’s been done in America and went horribly. Especially if you look at Rayo OKC, I believe it went bad enough the owners stole the turf at one point.

Reactions: robertmac43

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Don’t get to excited over teams from other countries owning the team. It’s been done in America and went horribly. Especially if you look at Rayo OKC, I believe it went bad enough the owners stole the turf at one point.

Don't squash it either, every situation is different, we are talking about one of the best clubs out there.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I'm just think that a lot of those Canadian players are going to be new to professional soccer or will come from other developmental leagues. For the team it does not make sense to dish out term to those kind of players, especially when the league is still in it's infancy and its still tough to predict how each team will do on a year to year basis. For the better end of Canadian players, term does not make sense as this is a stepping stone league. Obviously they can be sold if they end up being really good, but i still think it's risky to sign anything more than 2 years at this point.

Just so many uncertainties if that makes sense.

This will be another interesting aspect of the team. They will have more money but will still need to live within the 750k salary cap. They may be able to put more towards buying a player, but what players with big fees are going to want to come to a restricted cap ?

Yeah, I mean I get it's mostly a devel. league at this point, but it can become more, the better the sales the more the cap will go up. Most of the players have not been sold though, so I don't see why they would not be on longer term deals if they are all just going to trade clubs in the off season and stay in the league, makes sense to keep them longer, esp. if they want to develop them long term, it's only a devel. league if you put time and effort into the players, which I'm not sold on after year 1 as a lot of players are now without club, can't develop much on 1 year deals.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah, I mean I get it's mostly a devel. league at this point, but it can become more, the better the sales the more the cap will go up. Most of the players have not been sold though, so I don't see why they would not be on longer term deals if they are all just going to trade clubs in the off season and stay in the league, makes sense to keep them longer, esp. if they want to develop them long term, it's only a devel. league if you put time and effort into the players, which I'm not sold on after year 1 as a lot of players are now without club, can't develop much on 1 year deals.

It can become more but that is a long term goal. We are going into year 2, which is so early in the life cycle of this league. They have not been sold because most players were on one year deals, giving them the opportunity to explore new settings in the off season.

I don't think this league will ever be a long term development league. It's there to bridge the gap for young Canadians; If a player ends up here for 4-5 years they are likely not good enough to go onto to bigger and better leagues.

When it comes to players developing in one year I would argue the contrary. A lot of the development this league gives players is experience being in a league. It's full time, lots of training, travel across the country , multiple competitions, the opportunity to play abroad, young players get to play against fully grown adults. All this is experience that Canadians would have trouble finding unless they made MLS teams at a young age or got snatched up by a European youth teams and went through the ranks that way. It's valuable experience that can definitively be benefited from within a year.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Really big International move by Pacific. They are building a solid roster, definitely a team to watch this coming season!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is the stupid 2 seasons format over with this year?

As of right now I think it is the same format.

I'm hoping for a change to the top 4 teams to a 1 game playoff to get into a one game finals. That, or just have most points takes home the trophy.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The current format is the worst they can have, absolutely disastrous format to try to gain new fans and credibility.

I'd prefer #1 hosts the final and #2 hosts #3 in the playoff.

Remember this is not hockey when two extra time losses equals one regular time win. It's easy to climb the standings if you go on a 3-4-5 game winning streak.

A real format like this and the Voyageurs Cup is so logical that the CSA can't get it...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The current format is the worst they can have, absolutely disastrous format to try to gain new fans and credibility.

I'd prefer #1 hosts the final and #2 hosts #3 in the playoff.

Remember this is not hockey when two extra time losses equals one regular time win. It's easy to climb the standings if you go on a 3-4-5 game winning streak.

A real format like this and the Voyageurs Cup is so logical that the CSA can't get it...

I don't like the format, I do think you are going a little too far on this one though. The big fans of the sport are just excited to have a league at this point. New fans are not going to be worried about the structure of this league and if anything will like the fact that there is a finals. It's the North American way of things and for the new soccer fan, it makes it more familiar.

When it comes to credibility, that does not come from the league format...The league will gain it's credibility as more teams go deep in the CL and the Canadian Championship, as well as when more players like Borges make it on to bigger league. Championship format has nothing to do with that imo.

I think the CPL will end up being formatted in the European nature in a couple of years when they are closer to 12 teams. Until there are changes this is what we got, and I think it's fine for now.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I don't like the format, I do think you are going a little too far on this one though. The big fans of the sport are just excited to have a league at this point. New fans are not going to be worried about the structure of this league and if anything will like the fact that there is a finals. It's the North American way of things and for the new soccer fan, it makes it more familiar.

When it comes to credibility, that does not come from the league format...The league will gain it's credibility as more teams go deep in the CL and the Canadian Championship, as well as when more players like Borges make it on to bigger league. Championship format has nothing to do with that imo.

I think the CPL will end up being formatted in the European nature in a couple of years when they are closer to 12 teams. Until there are changes this is what we got, and I think it's fine for now.
I consider myself a big soccer fan and I just have zero interest in watching meaningless games. The two season crap is stupid and drives real fans away and sure isn't catching casual fans attention.

Do one table and then a mini playoff like every North American league does OK but this format for almost everyone means, exhibition games, not a real season, this just isn't a real pro league yet. That's what I hear a lot.

Imagine the CFL adopting this format!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I consider myself a big soccer fan and I just have zero interest in watching meaningless games. The two season crap is stupid and drives real fans away and sure isn't catching casual fans attention.

Do one table and then a mini playoff like every North American league does OK but this format for almost everyone means, exhibition games, not a real season, this just isn't a real pro league yet. That's what I hear a lot.

Imagine the CFL adopting this format!

I agree that it's not ideal. However, how are the games more meaningless? I can kind of see an argument for when you are playing Cavalry in the second season and they have already qualified, but even then its an opportunity for the other team to try and get 3 points.

As for real fans watching, I think most are satisfied at this point with having a pro-league. At least the people who live in areas with a team. For me, the format would not matter; the fact that Hamilton was getting a pro team was enough for me to be drawn in.

I like your idea of having a first seed bye and then 2 plays 3 to get into the finals. I think work really well, especially if it's single games and not 2 legged.

Reactions: Pouchkine

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
March 27th the Mens team will be playing Trinidad and Tobago in a friendly. Game in BC this time around

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Saw a report about Jonathan David being scouted by Arsenal, Leicester City and Everton. Also Napoli, RB Leipzig, Lyon and Lazio.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Saw a tweet from Duane Rollins, Americans will cringe at it but...

Michael Bradley is going to get his permanent resident status to stay in Canada, and it’s likely his kids would represent Canada if they ever become good enough soccer players for that.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->